Hello from Boston!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Roark, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Just getting into photography and so far am loving learning about it. Hopefully I can take some interesting photos to post for you all with my new :43: camera. Till then I'll just have to creep the forums for new techniques and info till then.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Roark! Welcome to the board!

You'll find many patient and helpful people here, so you've come to the right place.

I live just down the road from you in Rehoboth, Ma.

What ยต43 kit did you buy?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Hey Roark, welcome from California.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome aboard Roark, looking forward to seeing some of your photos. Boston is high on my must visit list.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the warm welcomes Alanroseman, GaryAyala and Gillymaru! I originally started with a pentax k2000 to get into photography but realized it was a bit too big for me to take anywhere. I needed a camera that made me want to take it everywhere and that made me feel comfortable taking everywhere. So I bought an EPL2 in order to take advantage of the faster shutter speeds for those bright days and wide open lenses. Only problem is I bought an EPL1 and can't return it. I put it up for sale here in the FS thread.

Alanroseman, I'm still learning how to pronounce most of the towns in Massachusetts. Hopefully I can learn the proper way of saying the towns as I explore them.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Roark,

Are you a student in town?

Or have you recently moved here for other reasons?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm a grad student at Boston University, moved out here last year from Reno, NV. The weather isn't much different in the winter, except the snow we are getting out here is extremely brutal. But I know how to deal with it. It's been a terrific place to see. I love history and New England serves it up very nicely!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Roark,

Well it's nice to have you here in our little corner of the world.

The weather will change soon, and all will be well again.

I believe it was Ben Franklin who said " If you don't like the weather in New England, give it a minute. It will change."
  9. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Welcome, Roark. I too am in the New England area for school, but mine is only for 2 more weeks.
  10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello Roark and welcome from south of the equator.
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Roark, welcome from the southern shores of New York!:wink: Hang in there...soon the humidity of summer will be upon us and you'll be outside taking more pictures, I'm sure.

Best wishes upon your graduate studies - and please don't hold back regarding posting your photos.:thumbup:
  12. Welcome!

Congrats on your gear and welcome aboard. I have been especially informed of things - photography and m4/3-, since joining. Good luck with your BU experience, I am an alumnus of Sargent and the School of Ed (countless years ago:). Also, great to see the response from fellow MA members and those who like it here.
  13. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome and Hello from Scotland. Glad you chose to join us. Hope you have a good time with your new camera!

All the best,

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  15. Ihavenewfs

Ihavenewfs Mu-43 Regular

I certainly can appreciate the need for a camera you can take anywhere - I used to try that with my D300 and I was more worried about it getting banged around than taking/making pictures. Had my new EPL2 out ALL WEEKEND and it was positively brilliant and loads of FUN. My hubby is worried that the D300 will collect dust :smile:

Maybe it will...

Welcome to the world of m4/3rds!
  16. berkshiregrl

berkshiregrl Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2011
    Welcome! I'm new to this too but have already found a wealth of info here. I just bought an E-PL1. I work in Boston 2-4 days a week and then go back home to the Berkshires which you've probaby never heard of but which is a rural area of MA, borderng NY and Vermont. New England is such a great place to take photos. I especially love old barns of which this area has no shortage so I can keep plenty busy. I also love the desert SW and spend a lot of time in Utah, AZ etc. Haven't spent much time in Nevada except flying into Vegas to go to southern Utah but I would like to explore more someday. Have fun!
    • Like Like x 1