Hello from Bellingham

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by dixeyk, Aug 9, 2010.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm new to the board. I just sold off my 4/3rds kit and quite by accident ended up with a shiny new (well new to me) Olympus EPL-1 and 14-42. I have been looking at the Olympus PEN cameras since they came out. I realize that the EPL-1 isn't in the same class as the EP2 or the Panasonic GF1 but I am never the less very excited (it arrives in a few days). Most of all I have several old school legacy lenses that I am looking forward to using (OM, Canon FD, Rokkor and Hexanon).

I'm up here in the Northwest corner of Washington State and despite the abundance of rain we do have a lot of cool things to photograph.

Kevin

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Kevin, congratulations on your new to you E-PL1 and don't let yourself be fooled into thinking anything less about this camera of yours. The E-PL1 in capable hands with a good eye can bring to light amazing photographs. Just check out Brian Mosely's E-PL1 thread and the E-PL1 Image Thread for starters - and be sure to add your own photographs when you can.:biggrin:

There are so many great cameras, and thanks to the companies that make them there are more coming. So many cameras, so many choices.
    :wink: Glad to have you here, Kevin.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome - I also downsized from 4/3. The positives (size, weight, usability) outweigh the slight negative (speed).

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you. I checked out the threads. I found Brian Mosley's thread a wealth of great information and look forward to contributing something to the image thread in the near future.

Glad to be here.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I liked my Olympus E-Series cameras bit they never quite gave me what I was looking for...the VF was too small for my half century old eyes (I like using MF legacy lenses) and I never had the money to drop on an E3. What really put me over the top was a trip I took to Spain and Portugal in June. Lugging an E520, 14-54, 40-150 and assorted other pieces ended up be a royal pain as I like to travel light and do a great deal of wandering.

I know that no camera is perfect but for me at least this looks to be a lot better fit than a DSLR.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have told my son on many occasions that the photographer makes the camera. The E PL1 occupies a funny space. It's inexpensive (relative to other PEN cameras) and lacks some of the niceties of the more expensive bodies. Where it counts however (in the imaging it holds its own quite well from what I can tell). I may be in the minority but as lightness is a priority for me (trekking and travel) I find the plastic body (and the bigger grip) to be preferable to the other more high end bodies. As far as the button interface as opposed to the thumb wheels...no use pining over what I don't have.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have an EP2 but my budget is very tight these days (as is everyone's) so I'm happy with what I have and look forward to learning how to use it.

7. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello Kevin and welcome here !

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Oh ... wrong Bellingham, never mind. Welcome anyway!