Hello from Belgium!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Vicky, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Vicky

Vicky Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Hello everyone!!

My name is Vicky and I live in Belgium :smile:
    As a 22-year old dog owner and lover i would love to take some great pics of them. Unfortunately my tiny compact camera is not really suitable for an active Border Collie and Sheltie.

It's been a week since I've started reading and reading and reading... Maybe a bit too much, because at this point; I'm completely clueless about what to buy, and what not to buy.

I've been looking for a nice bridge camera for a while now, but I kept finding 'slow' and 'not suitable for action shots'. Some people suggested a micro 4/3 as an alternative. So here I am! Trying to figure out which one to buy and if a micro 4/3 is really what I want.

I need your help! Don't really know whether to open a new topic or to explain my 'needs' here? I'm sure you guys will be able to tell me what to do :thumbup:

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Hi, welcome to the forum. There are lots of options for Micro 4/3s, and for your kind of subject, this system has proved to be effective for that. Depending on your budget and plans, there's a wide array of choices to begin with.

There is an active thread about dogs:

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

Welcome aboard.

I'm sure you'll find lots of forum folks who can help you with recommendations for dog photos.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I think a Sony RX100 or a Panasonic Lumix LX7 or a Canon S110 would suit you fine.All of them are high quality image makers and small. If you really want to venture into changeable lenses, then maybe a panasonic G5, which are insanely cheap here in the US. It has an articulating LCD and a viewfinder. You'd need to get a kit lens (14-42, 14-45). These come up for sale here all of the time. But I'd go with the 1st three cameras if I were you.
  5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, Vicky, and welcome from a fellow belgian ...

Depending on the degree of activity of your dogs, micro4/3 may or may not be a good solution for you.

For general dog shots, it's certainly OK, but if you were looking forward to shooting agility competitions or dograces, you might find the autofocus a bit slow.

If a bigger sensor and interchangeable lenses are not a must for you, then a "bridge" camera (superzoom) may be a good alternative. There's a sister forum with very knowledgable participants here :

good luck,
  6. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Vicky! :th_salute:

I'm a dog lover too! Love to see some pix soon of your two...

As for which camera is best suited for your needs... I would strongly recommend trying a used or inexpensive Micro 4/3 design along with perhaps one "kit" zoom lens to start off with (my favorite "inexpensive" zoom is the Panasonic 14-45). You'll need to familiarize yourself with whatever camera you decide upon, so it makes little sense to make up your mind until you've really got the hang of whichever camera you decide to keep. That said, choose one, get it and really get comfortable shooting with it...

my suggestion is to find an Olympus E-P3. This was Olympus's flagship Pen camera less than a year ago and is still an outstanding camera now. It has lightening fast autofocus capabilities, a built-in flash, touch-screen technology and is built like a tank... Most importantly I suppose, it has excellent image quality that will come close to the best digital cameras regardless of price. When new, the E-P3 was pretty expensive, but now can be had for very reasonably (in the $300 to $400 range). Together with the Panasonic zoom I mentioned, you'd have an EXCELLENT kit which would serve you well for many years to come and, I GUARANTEE that you'll LOVE the quality of the photographs you'll be able to capture with it -- especially of your beloved dogs!

Feel like chatting further on the subject, feel free to PM me...

Cheers and once again, welcome!