Hello from Aus

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by lisa, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lisa

lisa New to Mu-43

Aug 21, 2011
    Geelong, Australia
    Hi all,
    I have been reading & learning on this site for a while now, but had neglected to introduce myself. My name is Lisa, and I'm from Geelong, Australia (near Melbourne).
    I have enjoyed using a point & shoot (especially for travel) for the past few years, but found myself desiring some manual control. With my other half already having a nice Nikon, I realized I wasn't prepared to lug around a DSLR, and it seemed that micro 4/3 would be a much better fit.
    I did some research and finally purchased a GF2 & 14-42 kit lens. For someone coming from p&s, the straightforward buttons & intuitive menu system were appealing.
    Subsequently, my boyfriend gave me the (extravagant!) birthday gift of the panny 20mm lens, which has rarely left the body since.
    I know that the GF2 may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me it has been perfect. I find i am taking my camera almost everywhere, which excites me.
    However as I really don't know anything much about photography there is a great deal to learn. This year I hope to learn about good composition & learn how to use Aperture well.
    I have so far managed to keep GAS in check (probably due to how much I really love the 20mm). However, I believe I am at risk of the syndrome - I'm tempted by the Olympus 45, and the ultra wide angle lenses are interesting, and the LVF would be useful, plus I'm intrigued by the Lensbaby tilt composer, and so on... Therefore, i may need your support in the future.
    Thanks for such a friendly forum.
  2. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Welcome another Aussie

Hi Lisa,
    great little spot, Geelong, good footy team too! Welcome to 4/3 land. Like you I have a 20mm lens firmly left on my GF-1 body. A great combination. I also have a G1 which I use with my 14-45 and 45-200mm lenses. That is a great substitute for a DSLR because it also has eye level viewfinder (of a type). Hope you enjoy your photography. Hang on to your boyfriend too, whilst he keeps buying you nice pressies.
    Cheers from another Victorian!
  3. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi Lisa, and welcome.

I myself currently situated in Point Cook, so not so far from Geelong.
    I understand the GAS tempation to what these system can bring, so far i've got GF1, G3, 14-45, 45-200, 20, and now looking at 25 1.4!!!

Take lots of pictures, post them up here, we are all friendly, and maybe one day we may have a Victorian m4/3 shooting trip, to meet and greet.

Have fun.

- Andrew
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome Lisa

A very warm welcome Lisa and hope u enjoy this forum. You have taken two right decisions Lisa - First u picked up GF2 and its a great camera
    Secondly by joining this forum , u will learn and know a lot of things which probably we won't get from reading manuals. Moreover u get see real pics by real people and get some inspiration . Its a nice and cozy place and I can assure u , its a very well behaved forum. So feel free to ask questions and we are looking forward to see ur Geelong pics ..
    Now as far as Olympus 45 mm 1.8 is concerned , I am in love with this lens . Its a must if u wanna enjoy full potential of ur GF2. I do have panny 20 mm as well and its great lens . Just take loads of pics with GF2 and Panny 20 mm, when u are ready get Olympus 45mm 1.8 and U won't regret it. Have a look at these pics taken in Melbourne CBD on 24rth Dec 2011

5. lisa

lisa New to Mu-43

Aug 21, 2011
    Geelong, Australia
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

@DownUnderDog - we're pretty pleased with the footy team at the moment :)

Will steel myself & post some photos soon.

Cheers, Lisa