Hello from another new member

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by JudyM, May 6, 2010.

1. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Hi, I’m Judy and I’m a new GF1 owner. At the risk of showing my age, I’ve been involved in photography for some 40 years, 13 of those in a professional photo lab, some doing a little freelance, the rest as a hobby. Like most of us, I’ve owned a lot of cameras over the years - Mamiya medium format, Olympus OM2n’s and a Hasselblad. Up until my GF1 was delivered a week ago, my main camera was a Contax 167MT with several Carl Zeiss lenses. The ability to use these lenses on the GF1 was a key selling point and a feature I find very exciting. I must say that selecting a new digital camera proved to be a far more difficult task than I anticipated. I spent months studying Nikons and Canons, but in the end just couldn’t get past all the plastic for what these cameras cost. I’m sure they take technically excellent photographs, but $1500 or more for a camera made of plastic with plastic barreled lenses and a pentamirror instead of a real pentaprism? I guess I’m old school, but I think $1500 should buy an all metal body with a satiny smooth black finish that feels soft in your hands, a real pentaprism that you can interchange with other viewfinders, and lenses with real manual focusing rings, F-stop rings and metal barrels. I stumbled across an article written by a photographer who took his GF1 on a two week trip in the Himalayas. This wasn’t a review, it was an account of the camera from a photographer’s point of view. He put into words how the camera “feels” to use and how it works with you, something you can’t quantify with numbers and test reports. That was what I was looking for. Work has kept me busy, so I’ve not had a chance to take my first shots yet with the new camera. I did buy my GF1 with the 20mm pancake as well as the adapter to use my nice Zeiss lenses. I tried it on the body with my lenses and it seems to fit very well. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to try everything out this weekend. Sorry to ramble on so, I'm really happy to be on board.

• Like Like x 14
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Judy, you weren't rambling at all but rather telling us how you came to find your way to buying your GF1 and, in a way, how you found your way here, too. Welcome! I am really looking forward to your involvement and seeing some of your photographs, too.:flowers_2:

3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Welcome! I look forward to more rambling Judy.

It's surprising how many old school photogs are showing up here. Solid.

Bokeh Diem

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Judy. Looking forward to you sharing some of that experience and fine lenses.

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Judy. Congrats on your new great little camera. Enjoy your weekend.

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome indeed Judy! I hope you will make yourself at home here :friends:

Will look forward to chatting more :smile:

Cheers

Brian

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Hey G'day Judy and welcome. I read the same write up from the guy who took his GF1 to the Himalayas and that's what made me want the GF1 so badly. I love it, especially with it's metal body and smooth cold feel. Have you still got your Zeiss lenses? They'd look so titillating mounted. ;-)

Have fun,
    icon

9. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    welcome, judy, and thanks for a good read. i'll be interested to read how the zeiss lenses work on the gf1 as opposed to your other cameras!

btw, i was already very interested in the gf1 for a few reasons, but the himalayan "review" was what really did it for me. my gf1 should be arriving today :)

10. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    What a great bunch!

Thank you all so much for the welcome! I'll let you know how the Zeiss lenses work out on the GF1. I also bought a T-adapter to use with a Maksutov-Cassegrain 90mm telescope. On a 35mm, it would be equivalent to 1250mm's, can't imagine what it will be like with the GF1. I just love the versatility of this little camera with all the available adapters. I can't stop shopping for more stuff for it. I'll give it a thorough workout on vacation soon. ...hey, my husband has his skim board and boogie board, I have my beach toys.

11. alfogator

alfogator Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Firenze, Italy
    Alfonso Caschili
    Hi Judy and welcome!

Can't wait to read on your reports about the converted zeiss lenses.

12. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida