1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello from another Aussie!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by swifty, Jan 31, 2013.

1. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Hello all,
    I've finally joined the ranks of m43 user after lurking on the fringes for a long time err-ing and arr-ing about which compact system to buy into.
    Had a brief fling with the GH2 but finally jumped in properly with the EM5 and 75mm f1,8.
    I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying the combo in my first week of shooting.
    Also waiting on my freebie body cap lens from Olympus Australia to play with, from their current OMD promotion.

Cheers
    Dave

2. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Welcome Swifty

Welcome,
    this a great site and the cameras are excellent. All I can say is have a good time, and don't pull a "swifty". (For non-aussies, "pull a swifty" is slang for "doing a runner"!)
    Cheers
    DUD

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    welcome to the forums!

There does seem to be a decent presentation from aussies here.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome from another Aussie.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Welcome

Gordon

6. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Welcome aboard!

Adelaide's watching closely, :)

7. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Welcome aboard.

8. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Thanks everyone.
    Don't worry DUD, won't be pulling any 'swiftys'. I considered my options carefully and for a long time and am well dug in with my purchase.
    So I'll be hanging around for some time :)
    Cheers

9. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Just jesting

Great Swifty,
    I hope you realise I was just jesting, and showing off to our international friends. Aussies are very well represented here on mu-43. And it really is a great place to be.
    Cheers
    DUD

10. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    DUD: Haha.. No worries mate. I knew u were jz joking around. It's too bad sometimes lighthearted jesting can sometimes get lost in written words.
    All good mate :)

11. renee

renee Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    Western Australia
    Another welcome to you too - all the way from Western Australia ;)

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day swifty Dave, so long as you aren't Shifty Dave. :wink: :biggrin:

Where abouts are you as I'm in the lower Blue Mountains west of Sydney?

The 75mm was a tempting thought with the 20% cash back offer (finished today), but I don't think it would get used enough & passed that one up (I might regret it later).

Have you read both these helpful sites?
    suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
    User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review

Hope you have lots of enjoyment with your E-M5 kit. I've finally got around to ordering the HLD-6 battery grip to go with mine (been using my DIY one till now) which should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Cheers,

:drinks:

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Howdy Dave!

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Dave :smile:
    Welcome to this wonderful forum and I am happy the way we are embracing here in OZ.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Dave!

(I worked with some Aussies when I was in Vietnam, they were part of the artillery team at Nui Dat and I've had a soft spot for 'em ever since. Great guys - also completely crazy, wearing shorts in a combat zone, drinking beer at God-awful hours, and teaching me that Cadbury's is every bit as good as Hershey's :biggrin:).

Hope you post some images - the odds are that I'll never make the trek from Detroit to Down Under (too far, too expensive, and I'm too old and lazy :biggrin:).

Regards,

Jim

16. Ross the fiddler

Good greif! I thought I was the only one like that. :wink: :rofl:

17. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Thanks everyone once again for the warm welcome.

Renee: I'm ex-West Aussie but am a Sydney-sider these days.

Ross:haha, lucky for me h is nowhere near w on the qwerty keyboard. But should I make that typo, f is only one step from t (shi*ty!!!!) Eeeep :p :)
    I'm in the city area in Sydney. The 75mm actually pulled me in b4 I bought the EM5 so I had the lens for about a month with no body to mount on. There was a good deal at JB Hifi on the weekend for the EM5 kit and it was the last weekend for the OMD promotion so I jumped at it.
    I haven't read those guides, thanks for the links.
    I'm also considering the grip but just having a look at options. It seems quite a few are advocating the RRS L bracket but I have tried the HLD-6 and really like the half-grip.

Jim: haha.. We Aussies are a funny lot. It never ceases to amaze how easily it is to spot one wherever I am around the world. Would love to visit the states, especially NYC. I've shopped online at BHPhoto on numerous occasions and it'd be like a kid in a candy store for me if I ever get to go there in person.

18. Ross the fiddler

Glad I was able to pass on something that was helpful then. I've bought the 60mm macro lens (with the 20% cash back) & the battery grip from CamBuy (online &) in Alexandria with good prices & great service. Both times I rang enquiring for stock & each time it was coming in the next day & with immediate shipping. The grip is 'on board with the driver' for delivery today & was ordered Wednesday. They are worth remembering, but I also know JB HiFi had a good deal too.

19. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Thanks Ross. Ryda's even cheaper on the HLD-6 atm ($20 less) but its not in stock.
    They seem to have a rubber retractable 58mm thread hood though that I might check out for the 75mm. I don't use filters but always use hoods so the lack of an included one nor a reversible bayonet style one is a little disappointing.
    Yea JB had the 12-50kit for $1076 on the weekend but only for in-stock items. I lucked in and they had 1 left :)

20. Ross the fiddler

That was an exceptionally good price at JB, but I wouldn't go for the grey import stuff from Ryda though. At least CamBuy discounts nicely as an approved reseller & everything comes with an Aussie (Olympus & other brands) warranty. I would & do buy after market hoods & bits & pieces from ebay though.

I've received the grip (& another expensive Olympus battery) & it's great. :thumbup: What I had before (my DIY grip) made a nice difference, but this just makes me feel at home again with the extra controls & portrait grip etc., after previously using (& still do occasionally) the E30 with HLD-4 grip.