Hello from a Photo Newb!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DaveG, Jan 5, 2014.

1. DaveG

DaveG Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Vancouver
    Hello All!

After a recent trip to SE Asia and reviewing my photos from my point & shoot, I've finally hucked it in the bin and decided to get proper camera. I've had a little exposure to photography as a hobby/enthusiast via an ex-g/f who dabbled in it, but this is the first time I'm 'behind the wheel'. Looking forward to learning lots! Loving the size of the OMD (the bulk of DSLRs was an annoyance of mine as I was always saddled carrying the ex's gear when we traveled). So needles to say, I've lost a lot of baggage recently :biggrin:

I'll mostly be doing outdoors/travel photography as those are my true passions. Hopefully will be able to start posting some photos eventually, once I figure out what all the buttons and dials and doodads do. :smile:

Cheers,
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
  2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hello there Dave, I'm not too far behind you when it comes to this format.

As you can see I joined recently myself so you're not alone in this boat. :biggrin:

3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Welcome aboard Dave! The E-M5 is a great camera. We look forward to seeing your pics. :)

4. dandon

dandon Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2014
    Welcome Dave, looking forward to see what you do with that wonderful camera :).

5. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Sooooo many newbees

This form is quickly filling up with new converts.
    It would be interesting to see if we as a family of mu-43 could offer just one tip each for the newly acquainted.
    Who wants to be first?:smile:

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Dave T

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    welcome aboard!
    toss up some pics!

7. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Tip #1
    View the image threads of the particular lens or lenses you have right now.
    When you see an image that makes you say.."I want to take an image just like that" ask the person who posted the image what settings and technique they employed. Go out and try to duplicate it.

Dave T

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Welcome!
    Pressing OK button should bring up a side list of items you can cycle through and press < > buttons to change a setting. Such as drive mode - single low fps, high fps, 2 sec, 12 sec. The menu takes a while to get use to and OK button is shortcut to often changed settings.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing some photos!

10. DaveG

DaveG Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Vancouver
    Thanks all for the welcome!

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum, Dave! I bought my first SLR on a trip to SE Asia as well and that got me into the hobby.

Looking forward to your photos!

Regards,

Jim

12. dusk2dawn

dusk2dawn New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2014
    Whoa! I had to do a double take when I read this post because I was coming here to open with the same story (minus the girlfriend)!

I'm a photo newbie who also decided to upgrade my camera after a recent trip to Southeast Asia. The inferiority of my cheap little point-and-shoot became painfully clear as I saw the gorgeous photos my friends with DSLRs took. I've been traveling quite a bit over the last few years (since graduating college), and I would love to be able to take better pictures when I travel. But to truly upgrade the quality of my photos, I realized I could use better equipment.

After a bunch of research, I settled on the Olympus E-PM2 for the quality/size ratio. I've only gotten to test it indoors so far, so I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin outside because landscape, street, and travel photography are more my thing, too.

I look forward to seeing your travel photos!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaveG

DaveG Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Vancouver
    Likewise! Heading to Europe in a couple months, so hopefully will start churning some out then.