Hello from a new E-PL1 owner

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Mark0, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy

Just got a new PEN some days ago.
    Coming from a couple of P&S (last was a Canon A570 IS), was searching for something with a better IQ without spending too much.
    I'm very pleased with the choice for the time being.

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Great camera, welcome

I used one of these for a while. It is a great camera.

The first thing I did with the camera was search for an old fast manual focus lens (like a Canon FD 50mm f1.4) for low $$. This allows you to play with low f-stop lenses on the cheap...

3. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    Indeed! I was just considering the idea of getting one of those cheap Fujian 35mm f1.7 from eBay to play a bit. Will see.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Enjoy! Even though there are a number of newer models, the E-PL1 is still the benchmark for Pen image quality.

If you adjust settings often, don't forget to enable the Super Control Panel. Makes life very convenient.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They are definitely fun to play with, especially if you have a VF-2 (or VF-3 I suppose). The E-PL1 is a great camera - I got one when I couldn't justify the cost of an E-P1 or E-P2 and have been happy with my decision over the higher end bodies.
  7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Enjoy. My first PEN was an E-PL1. Great IQ and a huge leap from compacts. I found a e-pl1 for dummies guide hugely useful (the manual it comes with is terrible!) especially coming from P&S cameras. I have a PL3 now but still dip into that guide, as much of it is the same.
  8. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    I see here that you went from a E-PL 1 to a P 3. Have any ideas on comparing the P 2 to a P 3, especially in the shutter lag area and of course on other important upgrades?