1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from a G2 user from Derbyshire

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by JimRead, May 31, 2014.

1. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello all,

I'm Jim Read from Derbyshire in the UK, I found the forum whilst looking for G2 info, just for something to do while the kettle boiled really.

Today I got my G2 out of the loft because I was getting a bit p****d off with the G6 I'd bought. How nice to handle it again much better than the G6, I'd got fed up with always having to dive into the menus to alter something that should be switched.

I will be selling the G6.

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Interesting! My wife has had a G2 since 2009'ish... She manhandled a G6 recently and didn't like it either. She's sticking with her G2 for now but may buy the Olympus E-M10... She's not in a rush.

Welcome aboard!

3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Welcome Jim - I have both a G2 and a G5 (recent upgrade) and so far, while I understand what you mean about later 'G's being more menu-driven I kinda like it. For one, it makes me look more competent than I really am.

Get that G2 fired up and let's see some of your stuff. :thumbup:

4. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Hello and thanks for the welcome guys nice of you.

I wasted my money on the G6 it's about 1/2 the camera the G2 is, I did look at the Olympus's but I dislike the tilt only LCD, useless when using the camera in portrait mode and I couldn't afford one anyway.

A lot of this camera caper is just the manufacturers blackmailing us poor photographers. It seems odd to me that Panasonic use Leica lenses but don't follow the Leitz philosophy of sticking to a good design.

Odd coves ain't they.

Jim

5. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Hi Jim - I had the G6. There are so many customisable buttons on the G6 I'm surprised you find you have to dive into the menus! It's a very good camera but I couldn't get on with the ergonomics. Great grip but my palm kept pressing the buttons on the back. Sold the G6 for the EM5 and couldn't be happier.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the site!

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm with you there! ;
    I'm baffled that they ditched the awesome layout of G1/G2, despite the other improvements.
    The single/cont/bracket switch is genius!

8. JimRead

JimRead Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Derbyshire UK
    Jim Read
    Thanks for you posts guys, I agree about odd things happening to the G6, I found the white balance kept altering, the focus square kept moving into one corner and the wheel thingy is much easier to use on the G2. I'm going to buy another one as a spare, bit like Jane Bown and her OM1's

9. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    hi!! welcome to the mu43 site... very interesting, your experience with the G series...