1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

hello...form Newcastle, Staffs UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by brianvickers, Jul 2, 2011.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Hello,
    I've just ordered my first 4/3 camera, delivery anticipated within 3 weeks.
    I've chosen the Olympus E-P1 17mm and 14-42 (mk1) and VF1.
    I currently use a Canon 50D which I intend to stick with for when I want top notch pics -which I have sold on library sites (not many - might dump the dslr if I dont pursue this - its not going to make me rich!)
    I have sold my Canon G10 to help pay for the Olympus - hoping the quality/noise is closer to the performance of my APS/C dslr.
    I have found using the compact helps creativity and I'm very much looking forward to using the Olympus. smile:
    Any advice for getting started would be welcome - i.e. modes settings
    I usually use RAW, Aperture priority, lowest ISO - is that the best way with 4/3?

2. Welcome to mu-43. On the E-P1 the actual base ISO setting is 200 and for better dynamic range it is better to use this as your lowest ISO setting unless you absolutely need to go lower.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Newcastle under Lyne?
    I knew some folk from there.
    Many potholes if I remember rightly.

4. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Yes there are many pot holes - a problem almost everywhere I think.....just cost me the price of a 40-150 zoom to replace a damaged tyre...so a sore point for me!

5. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    thanks for this...is there no benefit in using ISO100 - is noise control that good?
    I'd be interested to know how high you can go without noise - on my 50D anything over ISO400 can be a bit noisy unless you over-expose and in bright light I have used ISO1250 acceptably.

6. The E-P1 I'd say is a bit noisier than the Canon 50D, which I find okay up to 800, and passable up to 1600. The E-P1 I have never really gone beyond 800. I don't quite know the exact workings of the m4/3 12MP sensor but ISO 100 is actually achieved via some kind of electronic jiggery-pokery and is not a native ISO.

BTW, if you compare the studio tests at DPReview it sill show that the Canon 50D is horribly soft compared to the E-P1 but in practise this is not the case at all and I feel that the Canon has more latitude for additional sharpening than the E-P1. It was this particular comparison in combination with a few other things that has led me to be extremely skeptical of any of their studio tests.

7. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Just received my E-P1 and took some shots at Trafford Centre as it was raining - not that it looks better in the rain, but I was dryer; I am seriously impressed and I don't think I'll miss lugging my dslr around - though I'm not going to part with it until I've done some proper comparisons ; but wow!

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome from Boston in the states.

I fund my EP1 is good through ISO800 and is still good for B&W at ISO1600.

Please post some of your work when you have some shots you like.

On a side note, I had a G9, and I think the EP1 is a far better choice and not really that much bigger or heavier.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

9. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for that, we are off to Creete in a few weeks so should have some good pics to post then
    Cheers

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I was well impressed with the ISO and noise balance in my e-P1 compared to our e-600 and e-410 DSLRs, this thing saeems very similar in noise level to my recent Sony a-450, just a much slower thinker (buffers, autofocus).
    Did you get the 17mm & viewfinder?

11. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Yes, 14-42, 17 and viewfinder. Just sold my Tamron 10-24 dslr lens today and immediately bought a 40-150mm for the e-p1 - think I have the MFT bug!

12. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    just did a comparison of a desk covered in bits and pieces - using a tripod, f5.6 Aperture priority - ISO100 - manual focus on the same spot - comparing a Canon 50D with 24 105 f4L lens and Olympus E-P1 with 14-42mm (mk1).
    Having struggled to get the exposure and saturation settings comparable it turned out there is very little difference in the quality of the image. In fact the E-P1 looks a little better in some areas.