Hello, first MFT

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
why not just take the shot anyway?
Because I hate reviewing and deleting. :)

I know I'm probably missing some vital part of "the digital experience," but I still have a film mentality about shots.

I went out with a professional ecologist last year to help him shoot flowers of native fruit trees. I set things up and took one or a few shots per scene, while he would stand it one place, with identical lighting and composition, and just wail on the shutter button. At the end of the day, I had about 50 shots, a good 40 of them "keepers," while he had over 400 shots, and agonized for days over a computer, selecting the "best ones." In the end, he preferred my shots. :)

One technique I use for macro departs from my film mentality: I'll put the camera in auto-rapid-fire, then focus a bit in front of the subject, and then hold the shutter button down while moving towards the subject, then toss all but one. This is really handy in wind, when you have a tough time keeping focus.

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
Just bought a second-hand EM5II and 12-40, hoping delivery will be middle of this week!

scotttnz

Mu-43 Veteran
It's getting to experiment with different gear that's part of what makes me smile about photography - I kind of accept now (struggled with this for years) that the gear is part of it for me.
Me too. It’s a hobby for me, so why does it matter that part of the enjoyment is playing with new toys? Still, I think the part I enjoy the most is loading my images into Lightroom and finding one with potential, and seeing it come to life as I push those sliders around, and thinking “this will look great printed and hanging on my wall.”

Just bought a second-hand EM5II and 12-40, hoping delivery will be middle of this week!
Congratulations, I’m sure you will have fun with that combo.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom