Hello, first MFT

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi all, just joined today. I don't even own an MFT yet, keep going to reserve an Olympus EM5MkII and 12-40 but get cold feet about leaving Fuji every time it comes to clicking the button. :crying:

Joined to get more advice, see more photos and have a good time.

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
Welcome.
Why are you thinking of changing from Fuji to MFT? Is there a case for having both or do you need to sell the Fuji? Buy second hand and if you decide MFT is not for you you will lose little on resale.

Orbmiser

Mu-43 Top Veteran
but get cold feet about leaving Fuji every time it comes to clicking the button. :crying:
Can you quantify the reasons for the hang?
As for me the reason not to go Fuji is limited and expensive lens options.

So easy decision to go m4/3rds. Being a Dx Nikon shooter this was just a 6 months experiment.
So bought used EM-1 Mark I for $525 in Nov. then in Jan. added the 12-40 f2.8 as I was satisfied with the results.

And from my readings the EM-5 Mark II gives just as good image IQ as the Em-1 mark I.

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
Welcome.
Why are you thinking of changing from Fuji to MFT? Is there a case for having both or do you need to sell the Fuji? Buy second hand and if you decide MFT is not for you you will lose little on resale.
I've got a shoulder injury that makes the IBIS in a compact body very attractive; there are no more Fuji lenses for me to explore because they don't have stabilisation, and I struggle to handheld below about 1/60 without it. Exploring new gear is part of the fun of photography for me.

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
Can you quantify the reasons for the hang?
As for me the reason not to go Fuji is limited and expensive lens options.
It's the image quality; I love the images my Fuji can produce, and I worry if I swap I won't be as happy with the images. Plus, I feel very attached to it as the system the rejuvenated my interest in photography (I had Canon FF but kept it in a cupboard for being too bulky.)

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I've got a shoulder injury that makes the IBIS in a compact body very attractive
I think you came to the right place. :)

I'm not able to advise about Fuji, since I've been with Olympus since my first OM-2 in 1977. I loved the OM System, but suffered through the E System days, because I loved my OM glass, which was easily adapted to E System.

Now with the OM-D System, the love is back! Glad I waited; it would have cost a lot to switch to Canikon and then back.

Have you ever used IBIS? I'll tell you, my OM-D E-M1.2 is the first camera to make me giggle since my OM-2/4 days.

Good IBIS will change the way you think about photography. I regularly shoot hand-held in the multi-second range. I regularly shoot 500mm+ mirror lenses hand-held. Concerns about camera motion has changed into awareness of subject motion. My tripods are gathering dust. (Although I'm breaking them out again for Hi Def mode, which gives you 80 megapixel images of things that don't move.)

I love macro, but used to dread hauling out all the equipment, including the bellows and tripod. Now with IBIS, I shoot a lot of macro hand-held.

Olympus has been the industry leader on IBIS, although others are catching up quickly.

Like I said, it will change the way you think about photography. Knowing your rationale for changing systems, I say, "Go for it!"

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
It's the image quality; I love the images my Fuji can produce, and I worry if I swap I won't be as happy with the images. Plus, I feel very attached to it as the system the rejuvenated my interest in photography (I had Canon FF but kept it in a cupboard for being too bulky.)
What kind of photography do you mainly do? What are the things that you like about the image quality you get now? Is there anything that you don't like about the images? Is there anything you're particularly worried about in the transition? Do you have a 24MP Fuji body, or a 16MP body? Do you mostly shoot RAW or JPEG? What post-processing software do you use, if any?

In my personal view, the image quality of current M4/3 cameras is at least as good as any of the 16MP Fujis. But this is coming from a bias of primarily being a landscape / travel photographer, where fine detail in RAW is more important than smooth noise at high ISOs (or any JPEG). I use Lightroom and enjoy the workflow in it, so your tolerance for using different RAW conversion software also comes into play.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
From my perspective, shooting people, JPEGs with minimal processing, the 16MP Fuji sensor yields results that are more than a little better than Oly JPEGs. I'd put Panny a bit behind Oly.

You really have to consider your priorities, and when you read the opinions of others you need to understand their priorities.

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
What kind of photography do you mainly do? What are the things that you like about the image quality you get now? Is there anything that you don't like about the images? Is there anything you're particularly worried about in the transition? Do you have a 24MP Fuji body, or a 16MP body? Do you mostly shoot RAW or JPEG? What post-processing software do you use, if any?
Casual portrait and travel photography, which often delves into landscape, and occasional macro for fun. I find my current images very noiseless, and often find I don't need to process them at all. The reds don't photograph very well, in a predominantly red photo a lot of processing is needed. I've always been prone to seeing noise in photos, and whilst I still see it a lot in Fuji images I find it looks quite pleasing - more like film grain than pure noise; much as I'd like to say I'm not a pixel peeper, I do err on that side although ultimately the overall image is what matters and I only print slightly larger than A4. I've had both, currently on a 24MP but I also had both the XE1 and XE2, and in some ways preferred their images. The processing is part of my enjoyment, so I shoot raw and use Lightroom to process them.

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
From my perspective, shooting people, JPEGs with minimal processing, the 16MP Fuji sensor yields results that are more than a little better than Oly JPEGs. I'd put Panny a bit behind Oly.
As in the Fuji produces much better photos, in your opinion?

HS2279

Mu-43 Rookie
Have you ever used IBIS? I'll tell you, my OM-D E-M1.2 is the first camera to make me giggle since my OM-2/4 days.
Not beyond trying it in a shop, but I was grinning to myself as I turned it on and off and watched the shaky image snap into focus. I haven't had that since I got the Fuji 18-135 and did the same (incredibly good IS in that lens.) It's getting to experiment with different gear that's part of what makes me smile about photography - I kind of accept now (struggled with this for years) that the gear is part of it for me.

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As in the Fuji produces much better photos, in your opinion?
depends on your skills. i can produce same picture disregarding sensor size.
usually, it´s our perception which makes one piece of gear better and more appealing than other. there are definitely different colour algorithms with sooc, but well at the same rate, you might drop in the pot iPhone as well, with the whole inbody pp, just to make the picture more appealing to you.
except for that, as soon as you stop looking at the camera as an magic object producing pictures for you, and realize it as the instrument you use to shape the picture - differences are indistinguishably small.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
as soon as you stop looking at the camera as an magic object producing pictures for you, and realize it as the instrument you use to shape the picture - differences are indistinguishably small
Agree in general, and yet, there are some handy things that some cameras do for you, so you don't have to clutter your creative space with so many details.

For me, outstanding IBIS is one of those things, while I'm generally less concerned with autofocus performance. (Most of the glass I shoot is manual focus.) Others are willing to lose thousands of dollars of invested funds in order to chase the last little bit of autofocus performance, while not caring much about IBIS. Go figure.

When I want to go to your level of philosophical purity, I haul out the Super Technika 10x12cm, and spend an hour preparing each shot. :)

Real Name
Jan Steinman
I was grinning to myself as I turned it on and off and watched the shaky image snap into focus
As someone who travels on ferries frequently, I found a new use for IBIS: an image-stabilized spotting scope!

I put my OM 500mm ƒ8 Reflex on there and half-press the shutter to read the names of ships that are miles away. I rarely actually take such photos; all I wanted to do was read the name and registration country of the ship!

Seriously, people spend thousands on gyro-stabilized binoculars, when they could have a free camera with it. :)

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
Casual portrait and travel photography, which often delves into landscape, and occasional macro for fun. I find my current images very noiseless, and often find I don't need to process them at all. The reds don't photograph very well, in a predominantly red photo a lot of processing is needed. I've always been prone to seeing noise in photos, and whilst I still see it a lot in Fuji images I find it looks quite pleasing - more like film grain than pure noise; much as I'd like to say I'm not a pixel peeper, I do err on that side although ultimately the overall image is what matters and I only print slightly larger than A4. I've had both, currently on a 24MP but I also had both the XE1 and XE2, and in some ways preferred their images. The processing is part of my enjoyment, so I shoot raw and use Lightroom to process them.
I think MFT will do you very well for those subjects. They have lenses that match anything FF/APS-C have available, and by and large you can frame things properly and minimise cropping. I still have my FF gear and happily use MFT for travel and portraits - in fact I have kept my FF only for wildlife where cropping is very common.
If you do a lot of work in low light or regularly use ISO above 1,000 and you may be tempted to keep you Fuji gear.

Also, printing is a lot more forgiving than on-screen critique and at A4 MFT will easily be good up to 1600 ISO.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As someone who travels on ferries frequently, I found a new use for IBIS: an image-stabilized spotting scope!

I put my OM 500mm ƒ8 Reflex on there and half-press the shutter to read the names of ships that are miles away. I rarely actually take such photos; all I wanted to do was read the name and registration country of the ship!
Assuming you don't have a pressing need at that moment to conserve flash card space, why not just take the shot anyway? You can delete it later when you go through all your shots, but you never know until you get it up on the big screen what other interesting things might lurk in the frame. If nothing, then it was free anyway, so delete it then.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom