Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by capinoy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. capinoy

capinoy New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2010

Just jumped on board to this site, and gotta say that I am impressed. I am from the 209 area code and new to photography let alone 4/3's. I never got into this until recently when my nikon point and shoot broke and I was in need of a new camera, and a buddy suggested a Nikon DSLR. At the time I did not know what that was other than it was a big camera that pro's and our photographer used. All I really wanted this time around was a camera that can take really fast pictures because my old one was missing all those "Family" moments where if I took a shot with my old camera by the time the camera took the shot my kids had already finished what they were doing and all I get was a blurred shot. There is nothing more frustrating than missing the one chance at a great shot.

I bought a Olympus EPl-1 and must say that I am very pleased with it eventhough the sales guy at BB was telling me that I'll be back to buy a Nikon or Cannon DSLR. Too bad for him though that I am a devotee to my camera. Am playing with the settings right now mainly manual mode and will post some pix soon. Till then I'll be a lurker reading everyones posts. I do like the olympus posts here about epl-1 image thread. All those shots are beautiful. Only have the kit lens for now.

• Like Like x 2
  2. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    hi Charlie,

welcome on board of this great forum! Sitting in the snow on the other side of the pond (Germany) I have no background what this area code means......guessing post code in the states, but where....:rolleyes:

Area 51 is well known over the world.....:wink:

All together we are from all over the world and this is the best because we get great infos from so many member, and wait.......for free!:thumbup:

Enjoy your new cam, it was a good choice and with some time to master this little and very capable cam the choice is even better. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you know 'there are no stu...........nswers..'

Have a great Holiday Season!

• Like Like x 1
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    The area code means Charlie's east of me a couple of (phone) area codes. :)

I haven't owned an SLR in 20 years and I can't see myself going back.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Hi Charlie

I have an Olympus E-P1 and Nikon D90. I bought the D90 second-hand after the E-P1 but I would use the E-P1 at least 75% of the time.

The only reason I have the Nikon is that I do a lot of pre-dawn lanscape work and the sensor in the Nikon is better suited to that. I can also shoot wider more affordably with the Nikon. I have the Olympus 9-18mm zoom and Nikon 10-24mm zoom and not only was the Olympus lens cheaper, it is better for doing stuff like shooting into the sun at sunrise and sunset.

I won't be giving up MFT and the size is great for travel.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Charlie.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Welcome Charlie! Looking forward to seeing you post some photos

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Charlie, and hello from Scotland :smile: Have fun with your excellent new camera!

All the best,

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Charlie, congratulations on your E-PL1 and that "kit lens" - please don't hold back, we'd love to see your photos!:2thumbs:

Great story about the Best Buy salesperson, by the way.:rofl:
  9. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    Welcome!!! Great site, great people.
    . . . Burkey
  10. capinoy

capinoy New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2010
    Hey everyone, Thanks for the warm welcome.

SilverBullet-sorry bout the area code thing. Something I always use. I live in the not so sunny (lately) of California. Northern to be exact. I definately am learning this camera.

Dierdre-East of you so are you in the bay area?

Peter-My friend is trying to sell my a d90 but am happy with my oly. Not sure what my sensor can do compared to other dslr's but so far am happy with it. Thanks

Bilzmale, Stephen, Fiddler, Burkey-Thanks for the welcome and agreed a bunch of good people.

BBW-Yeah I'll be going back to bb for other reasons and none involve returning my epl-1

The weather has been gloomy so here is an indoor shot of some shot glasses. I just love how the blue comes through. I am sure this shot could of been taken better but I am learning.:wink: Here you go