Hello everyone! New (soon) to M43, excited to make the jump!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by afrat, Aug 21, 2013.

1. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone! I recently found this website and am blown away by the content the forum members provide. I was able to research everything I wanted to know about switching to M43. I am a professional photographer and have always left my camera at home when traveling because I am so bogged down my big, expensive gear all day long that I'm really turned off from the idea of taking pictures when I'm. I really hadn't looked into alternatives to full-frame DSLR's but boy am I glad I did. I am currently looking for a Panasonic G3 setup as I feel that's the perfect transition camera for me right now, and the price is right on the used bodies. I have a trip planned where I will be traveling around a few different national parks and plan to try out the Panasonic 14-45mm zoom lens while I'm out. If everything seems to work out for me, I'll start investing in more glass and jump to the GX7 later on down the road.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to make this site great!

2. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Welcome aboard!

Keep an eye on the price of the G5 bodies and kits; not quite as cheep as the G3 but quite a steal for new equipment.

Todd

3. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the welcome!

I just checked Amazon and the G5 body goes for $300 new. I am estimating paying around $200 for a used G3 body. Do you think it's worth the $100 difference? The kit is with the 14-42mm, which I've read is not as great as the 14-45mm, and I can grab that on Craigslist, local, for only $100. So $400 for a G5 and 14-42mm, worth it?

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The most recent sensor improvements tend to be pretty good, I'd go with the G5... And welcome!

5. phoenixag

phoenixag Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    London
    Welcome to the forum! :)

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Afrat, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! :smile:

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    G5 new is one billion times better than a used G3.

9. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    Welcome! I just got my g5 a few days ago and its totally worth the extra money. The egronomics alone are worth it to me its so comfortable in the hands. And the IQ excelent

dedicated photography

10. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I picked up a 14mm prime this morning and placed my order for the G5.

The lens is so, tiny...

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You made the wise choice :). Just curious, you said you never thought about FF DSLR alternatives. So how did you end up finding Micro Four Thirds?

Looking forward to your first images!

12. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I meant I hadn't looked before now, but I'm glad I decided to. I was turned on to the idea of a Nikon V1 to experiment with the 4k video trick. That was a great little camera but wasn't something I wanted to keep to invest in. I then started looking around at other cameras that size and naturally I ended up here, reading all about micro four thirds.

13. Zigstermeister

Zigstermeister New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    I couldn't be happier with my G5...

I have had my G5 for a week now and am so glad I made the plunge into the m4/3 world. I got it with the kit lens & the 45-150 for $600 with an additional $100 gift certificate(that I will hopefully be able to apply to the 100-300 soon). I have the same complaints about the kit lens I've read everywhere but it does take alright pictures despite the sticky manual zoom. No matter I plan on getting a couple faster primes in that range anyway.

I must say this is a great forum. I was referred by a member of another group I belong to, as I was told this forum is a great resource for anyone new to the micro 4/3 world and I must agree.

Thanks to all,

Z

14. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I also have to thank this forum for jumping into m43 world. First I picked up pictures of new Olympus PEN E-P5 and got interested. And then researched and assured by this forum :)

15. stevezzzz

stevezzzz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Colorado, USA
    New to m43, new to Mu-43.com

I'm a pro shooter with both Canon and Nikon FF gear, but I decided I wanted to streamline my photo bag when on vacation, without giving up too much in terms of responsiveness, IQ and functionality. I'm tired of the so-called 'enthusiast' point-and-shoot cameras: they seem so sluggish and limited.

So I just bought an Oly E-P5 kit with the VF-4 viewfinder and 17mm f/1.8, and a couple of other lenses, to use on upcoming trips...wish me luck!

16. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Welcome aboard! We hope you continue to enjoy our forum. We look forward to viewing your images/topics, too!

As for your opening comment, many of us have felt your pain :tongue: Pro equipment, for me, only comes out for paid gigs. As for everything else, it is well worth the money to afford a secondary system like the :43: system :2thumbs:.

Again, we welcome you!

17. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for all the welcoming comments everyone. I've really been enjoying the community on this forum for the past couple of days and have been very pleased with my new G5.