1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello everybody from Hildesheim, Gernmany

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DonParrot, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    My name is Nicolaus, I have been an FT shooter for several years and made a first effort with µFT in early 2009 with the G1 - but although I liked the concept I was somewhat disappointed by the performance of the camera. After four months with the G1, I gave it a rest im my cupboard and said to myself that I wouldn't purchase a second µFT camera before it can C-AF properly as one of my main subjects are dogs in action.

Now, however, I'm suffering from an arguably chronic back problem and carrying my E-5 and the bag with my HG Zuikos with me every single day just isn't possible, any longer.

So, I'm back in the µFT camp, now, with the E-PL3, the Lumix double kit 14-45 and 45-200 that accompanied my G1 - as well as the Lumix 20 1.7, the Summilux 25 1.4 (what a lens!!!) and the Zuiko 45 1.8 (again: what a lens!!!!!).

Seems as if I will have to focus on street and portraits, for the time being, as the C-AF still is not there. but I'm looking forward to this new challenge.

Nonetheless, I'm going to keep my E-5 and at least the 50-200 for the occasions when' I'm going out for a planned shooting. But for the rest, the Lite will be my permanent companion.

And - if the IQ isn't too mediocre and the C-AF works as advertised - I even might give Nikon's V1 a go for my dog-action - if my back doesn't get better until spring 2012, that is. In this case, I will have to completely say farewell to FT but will need a replacement for the action - and currently, the V1 seems to be the only option there is.

So, that's it for the moment.

---Edit: No, not completely.
    Hope to have a good time here and learn the one or the other thing.

Cheers everybody

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh so sorry to hear about your aches n pains! I'm tempted by the pl or pm for an even smaller sidekick to my ep3.

Post up some pics for us of the dogs!

3. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    No problem:
    Here we go with two of them:
    J.P McEnroe and Miss MoneyPenny but we use to call them the Magnetics.
    They are Bearcoat Shar Pei.

5665960394_8a250d83d3_b.
    Das Dynamische Duo 1 von don_parrot auf Flickr

5665961326_242bacefaf_b.
    Das Dynamische Duo 2 von don_parrot auf Flickr

5665962396_34a5365d52_b.
    Das Dynamische Duo 3 von don_parrot auf Flickr

5665401617_1f81097d71_b.
    Macko takes the lead von don_parrot auf Flickr

4117109353_c446fe46ef_o.
    Mac & Missy I von don_parrot auf Flickr

4117109585_2c138f3ae2_o.
    Mac & Missy II von don_parrot auf Flickr

4117109789_12ff21b29c_o.
    Mac & Missy III von don_parrot auf Flickr

Here's another one of Miss MoneyPenny in her 'Don't mess with me' mode.

5428738643_42d7dc61af_b.
    09. 02. Ich steh' nicht auf Klamauk von don_parrot auf Flickr

Then we've got Dirty Harriet (to the right)
    5744276560_aac2b6426c_b.
    The Race is on 1 von don_parrot auf Flickr
    She is an ELO, a still young breed created in Germany and I don#t know if it's already kown or even breeded in the US.

And last but not least we've got two Chow Chows...

5343739137_c224011a00_b.
    10. 01. Keinen Bock auf Posing 2 von don_parrot auf Flickr
    Fräulein Smilla...

and...

5343735445_dc4712d947_b.
    10. 01. Starsky 1 von don_parrot auf Flickr
    Starsky, a.k.a. The Bossman.

Here my favourite shot of Starsky. Taken back in 2005 - when I didn't know a lot about photography - and so, there are a lot of clipped highlights. But I just love this picture of his majesty. :wink:

3656986647_21639a4089_o.
    2006 Bossman von don_parrot auf Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome to the forum.

That's some wonderful photography right there in your intro.

Look forward to seeing some µ43 work in the near future.

Cheers from New England, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  5. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks Alan,

glad you like my pics.

Think it will take a little time until I will have adapted to the new gear and the new subjects. but hopefully not too long.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome!

Really nice shots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Dogs rule!

(Hunde Regel!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum Don. Most of us are dog people here. This is Cookie, the Wheaten, sporting her summer cut.

134911473_sX3vx-X2-1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Those dog pictures are fabulous. Are you trying to convert people to E-5? lol

10. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Hi,
    'Hunderegel' is a nice one! *lol*

Hi Gary, thanks for the welcome.
    A wheaten? Thought this is a kind of corn, isn't it?

Anyway, if you've got any tips for shooting fast moving dogs with µFT gear, your support would be massively appreciated.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Don, I shoot a lot of action stuff (mainly sports) and I find the blackout of the EVF as an obstacle which just cannot be easily overcome (especially when there are digital and film SLRs without this blinding inconvenience).

When I shoot action with MFT I typically pre-focus and wait for the action to hit the mark. I recognize this isn't always practical for all action photography.

[​IMG]
    GF1 Prefocused

Until MTF overcomes the EVF problem, I have a complete FF dSLR system, so for action stuff I haven't a need to struggle with MFT and miss most of the action. (Plus, my back hasn't given out yet.)

Viel Glück und Gute Erschießung,
    Gary

12. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Hey- just noticed.. Starsky's tongue is blue! Wow..

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I figured it's either oxygen depravation or some Blueberry Ice Cream is missing again.

G

14. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I do the exact same thing.. it's like when (back in the day) I used to shoot basketball with an OM2n and manual lens I would focus on the basketball rim and net, and then let the action come to me.

Same thing with the free-throw line.

It's a PITA but works.

15. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    :rofl::thumbup:

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I only did that with hockey, set-up on a tripod, pre-focus, remote shutter release, enjoy the game with a beer and dog and still walk away with a great image of the Kings' Goalie either winning or losing the match. (Not bad work if you can get it.)

G

17. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks!
    Nope, that wasn't the goal. Nonetheless, I think the E-5 is highly recommendable and used with SG glass, it will be difficult to find a gear with a likewise or better price-performance ration

Yeah, that's right. And finding out that the E-PL3 doesn't render live pictures when shooting in the multi-frame mode represented a bitter disappointment, for me. After all, the latest Pannies do so, up to three FPS.

Unfortunately, pre-focusing often represents a problem with my dog action as I don't throw balls or something like that but just observe them and jump down to the ground to start shooting when I believe it's worth while.

I thought so. So, it's waiting for the next step and cliniging to my E-5, for this kind of photography.

:biggrin: May I ask you if you are joking or if this is just a undeliberately weird translation of happy shooting?

He's a Chow, so he should have, shouldn't he?

*lol* You guys get me laughing. That's great!

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    "Good Luck and Good Shooting"... (I also was wondering about the translation ... German is way down the line on languages for me ... after some chemistry German it's all downhill.)

G

19. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Don't bother. It's not the most important language of the world, or is it?

Anyway: The translation 'gutes Erschießen' retranslates as something like 'happy killing by gun'.

And your first one 'Hunde Regeln' for 'dogs rule' re-translates as dog-rules or dog regulations. *gg*
    So, I thought you were joking.

20. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Willkommen und Gruss aus Rom!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App