1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello.... and with a question already

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by bigolac, May 16, 2013.

1. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    Hello - Found you guys with a quick google search. I haven't bought a 4/3 camera yet, because I'm on the fence here. I can't decide between a Pentax Q or a similarly featured 4/3.

If anyone has any experience with both and would care to share, it would be appreciated.

TIA and thanks for the space!

2. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    No experience with the Pentax Q. (I've looked at it, but never really shot with it.)
    But imo, as much as I like the Pentax brand, the Q is a dead system. The mu4/3 on the other hand is still hard at work evolving to something bigger. The E-M5 and the new E-P5 should be proof of that.

3. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    Thanks for the response - I understand where you're coming from. I currently own a K-01 and love it dearly - it truly is a brick with a lens and a great sensor.

My curiosity is that I'm trying to set up my 10 year old with something with a little more umph than his current P&S. These smaller sized cameras would seem to give his hands a break, but still give him loads of flexibility.

Thanks!

4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome!

As for your question: Micro 4/3 ALL THE WAY! Image quality and versatility of the "system" that is available makes this an easy winner.

5. s.donaldo

s.donaldo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Umeå, Sweden
    Hi. I´ve got both and i think if its size and ease of you teaching him go for the Q if you can find it at a reasonable price. Its really a fun camera and very suited for a 10 year olds hands. The menu system is similar to the K-01 and very intuitive.
    You wont get the OOF like on M4/3 but the sensor is really good for what it is.

On the other hand if you can get hold of an older cheap 12 MP M4/3 its a good starting point to get in to an evolving system with great lenses. The M4/3 is better if you want to adapt legacy lenses because the crop factor is 2x and on the Q 5.5x.

Go to the sister site Seriouscompacts (the S button top right of the page) and do some research on the Q.

6. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    Thanks for the recommendation - I'm on it!

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My kids love the E-P1 (5yo - 11 yo). Don't seem to have any problems although it is a bit much for the 5 yo and his wee little hands. Mostly use the P14-45 lens but sometimes the O17mm F2.8 lens.

Generally speaking my kids destroy pretty much anything they touch in about 3 weeks or less. The E-P1 and lenses have survived over 14 months! Well, mostly, but I repaired a damaged battery door latch after a dropping incident. By some miracle they have not lost either the lens hood or cap.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Bigolac, welcome aboard!

I've not used the Pentax Q system, so I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion - but we're glad you've joined the forum.

Regards,

Jim

9. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    I guess I didn't realize that some of the earlier bodies could be had relatively cheaply. I'm going to have to do some more research....

10. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    Well, as I posted yesterday over at serious compacts, I was at a garage sale yesterday and stumbled upon a epl1 with an adapter and a couple of canon lenses (50mm 1.8 and a crummy 80-200). I think my decision has been made for the moment... ;)

I've got a line on a kit lens - hopefully we should be set!

- Adam

11. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    That's great news! Hope you get what you're looking for out of it! And welcome :)

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Adam, consider adding a VF-2 viewfinder to the EPL-1 if you can find one at a good price. It makes shooting the EPL-1 much easier in direct sunlight (IMHO, YMMV :wink:).

I've an EPL-1 as backup to my EM-5 and it's a nice piece of gear :thumbup:.

Regards,

Jim

13. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    I appreciate all the kind words - however, I've hit a snag.

One of my son's favorite things to shoot was using the 'tilt-shift' filter on our Canon elph 500hs. However, when put into 'diorama' mode on the epl1, it's very slow to respond and laggy. Not sure if I got a bad egg or not - perhaps I need a firmware upgrade? It's currently running 1.1

- Adam

14. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    It looks like 1.2 might not do it for you.
    Try loading it anyways it might fix any data that might be corrupted in your current firwmware

E-PL1 &gt Software Downloads

15. bigolac

bigolac Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Adam
    Yep - I just upgraded the firmware to 1.2 yesterday, and with the same results - the display (only in the 'diorama' mode) is very slow and laggy. Is this germane to this particular model, or does it exist on multiple e-pl1s?

Side note - if I enable the focus zoom in diorama zoom to enlarge the focus area, there is NO lag at all - weird.