1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello and E-P1/OM lenses question.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Fiddler, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Hello I recently bought an E-P1 and joined this forum today. I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Can anyone tell me exactly what settings I need to use when shooting with OM lenses? I'm aware that the camera can't autofocus the lens, so I have to be in MF. I read that some people people shoot in aperture priority, but how can the camera know the aperture? Do I just dial it in after setting the aperture on the lens? Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Many thanks.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Welcome,
    In A mode with a MF lens, the meter will set the shutter speed to equal proper exposure.
    It doesn't really know what aperture is set but it knows how much light it's reading.

Brian Mosley has a few must view videos in the Oly forums.
    Check them out and most of your questions will be answered.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for your advice - will follow your leads.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So really the difference would not be in how the camera reads the shutter speed, but rather in how much light you get in the viewfinder, right? Whereas a digitally controlled aperture means the camera will always give you the wide-open view in your viewfinder (unless you press the DOF Preview button to manually stop down temporarily), then stop down before taking the photo... a manually stopped down lens will show a dimmer view in the viewfinder as you stop down, making focus a little tougher. Have I got that right?

5. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The camera will bump up the signal so it will be brighter in the LCD/EVF for easier focus, but what you see is not what you get in the picture, at least on the panasonic side.

6. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    don't forget to set your focal length into the IS for it to work and switch on your histogram display when shooting to avoid blown highlights...

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010

Do you set the focal length to what it is WITH the 2x multiplier or to the actual focal length of the lens. For instance when using a 50/1.8 OM do you set it to 50mm or 100mm?

8. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. My adapter arrived this morning, so I'm pretty excited!

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Fiddler.

10. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Many thanks bilzmale:)