Hello and a little about me

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Deano482, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Deano482

Deano482 New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    County Down.
    Although I've been visiting this site on and off for around a year now I thought it time to join say hello and hopefully learn and increase my enjoyment for photography.
    Best to describe me as a newbie, although I'm on probably my sixth digital camera my skills are still very basic.
    A number of years ago when I left the Army I realised how few photo's I had of that time, some of the hardest and some of the best times I had had in the Army, but alas not much to show for it.
    This for me was the starting point for my hobby. I joined the Police and started carrying a small, basic back then, digital camera.
    After leaving the Police I headed to the Middle East with a new career and a new camera, only a small rugged Pentax P&S but with a new resolve to capture life and my experiences as they unfolded. Working and living in a situation which few people find themselves in I was determined as best I could to record each day.
    Not an easy task working in Iraq and Afghan, my camera had to be small, tough and simple to use, many areas I found myself were under strict military control, photography forbidden, some of the most interesting and unusual scenes I viewed were from the seat of an armoured vehicle, 2 inch bullet resistant glass and speeds of up to 50 - 60 mph made conditions challenging.
    But over time I found my collection of photo's growing, and also more importantly when I was home on leave I continued to take photo's, I found taking and editing photos was rewarding, calming and helped take my mind off the stresses of work.
    I use 3 cameras at the moment, each great at what it does and what I need it to do. At work my cargo pants pocket has a Sony TX5 in it, water/shock proof and simple to use, It's ready to use almost instantly and is a real fav of mine.
    I also treated myself to a Leica D-Lux4, I carry this a lot especially when I am travelling, I recently started to try some street photography and for this its perfect.
    And this past month I sold my Panasonic GH2 and bought a GX1. What can I say that hasn't been said about this camera, a real star to use and I'm hoping through this forum I can learn some more and better understand this rewarding hobby.
    Hello to you all and thank you if you took a few minutes to read my story.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  3. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos. There is a place on the site to post photos from other types/manufacturers of cameras. Enjoy!
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome and I know I'm not alone in saying I'd love to see some of your photos. Enjoy the community. :biggrin: