1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello and a little about me

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Deano482, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Deano482

Deano482 New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    County Down.
    Although I've been visiting this site on and off for around a year now I thought it time to join say hello and hopefully learn and increase my enjoyment for photography.
    Best to describe me as a newbie, although I'm on probably my sixth digital camera my skills are still very basic.
    A number of years ago when I left the Army I realised how few photo's I had of that time, some of the hardest and some of the best times I had had in the Army, but alas not much to show for it.
    This for me was the starting point for my hobby. I joined the Police and started carrying a small, basic back then, digital camera.
    After leaving the Police I headed to the Middle East with a new career and a new camera, only a small rugged Pentax P&S but with a new resolve to capture life and my experiences as they unfolded. Working and living in a situation which few people find themselves in I was determined as best I could to record each day.
    Not an easy task working in Iraq and Afghan, my camera had to be small, tough and simple to use, many areas I found myself were under strict military control, photography forbidden, some of the most interesting and unusual scenes I viewed were from the seat of an armoured vehicle, 2 inch bullet resistant glass and speeds of up to 50 - 60 mph made conditions challenging.
    But over time I found my collection of photo's growing, and also more importantly when I was home on leave I continued to take photo's, I found taking and editing photos was rewarding, calming and helped take my mind off the stresses of work.
    I use 3 cameras at the moment, each great at what it does and what I need it to do. At work my cargo pants pocket has a Sony TX5 in it, water/shock proof and simple to use, It's ready to use almost instantly and is a real fav of mine.
    I also treated myself to a Leica D-Lux4, I carry this a lot especially when I am travelling, I recently started to try some street photography and for this its perfect.
    And this past month I sold my Panasonic GH2 and bought a GX1. What can I say that hasn't been said about this camera, a real star to use and I'm hoping through this forum I can learn some more and better understand this rewarding hobby.
    Hello to you all and thank you if you took a few minutes to read my story.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

3. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Welcome Deano

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos. There is a place on the site to post photos from other types/manufacturers of cameras. Enjoy!

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome and I know I'm not alone in saying I'd love to see some of your photos. Enjoy the community. :biggrin: