1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello, am I the first/only Estonian member?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Kirill, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Just curious like.

I outgrew serious compacts by around 2007 but never seriously considered getting a DSLR because of excessive bulk/weight and issues such as mirror slap vibration and back/front focus. So I was an enthusiastic early adopter of the first mirrorless system that became commercially available, purchasing the Panasonic G1 in November 2008 and I have never looked back since then. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of any video mode and the mini-DSLR styling so I was also quick to get the Olympus E-P1 in August 2009. It was not perfect for me, either, because although it was more compact it still weighed a lot (more than such a compact solution should weigh) and the display resolution was pathetically low for such a revolutionary camera.

I was also unhappy with the sequence of the lenses coming out and their (initial) pricing so in the summer of 2010 I purchased the first Sony NEX camera with the 24mm (efl) pancake and I really enjoyed it. Even more compact than the E-P1 but with a better grip and a better sensor, I was hooked. Could not afford to keep buying into both systems so I sold off my (modest) m4/3 gear. Unfortunately the NEX series really failed to offer much in the pipeline of new lenses (the UWA and fish add-on lenses were a great addition but plagued by chromatic aberrations) beyond the obligatory kit zoom, and I also discovered that the sensor is a dust magnet - and it showed up in my images even at modest aperture values. Every time I switched between the two lenses that I owned I had to make sure there is no dust on the sensor by taking test shots and applying the rocket blower and re-taking test shots and I often had to repeat the sequence several times. The built-in dust reduction system was a sad joke. Sucked the joy of photography for me. Never had dust issues with the G1 and the E-P1, not even once. Bye bye Sony.

In the summer of 2012, after a brief flirtation with the Samsung NX100, including me trying in vain to fall in love with the supposedly amazing 45mm (efl) pancake - yeah, very sharp when stopped down, but noting short of disgraceful when wide open - I decided to re-commit to m4/3. The lens choice had become much wider, some were cheaper than before and several interesting lenses were already on offer from third-party manufacturers. I purchased a brand new GH1 with the 14-140mm zoom for a mere 600 euros, I just could not pass it up/by. Then I quickly got the fantastic Samyang (Walimex, Rokinon, etc.) fisheye and the SLR Magic 26mm "toy" lens. In the autumn I got my second body, the E-PM1, which I have been using most of the time since then. My latest purchase so far has been a used 17mm/f2.8 which I absolutely love. The user had sent me several sample images beforehand and they were all tack sharp and very little chromatic aberrations straight out of his Olympus camera. This lens is an underrated treasure. Sure, there is some vignetting when wide open and the corners are also less sharp that the centre but this quickly disappears as you stop down.

I think the E-PM1 should have come out in 2009, it is what the E-P1 should have been, truly compact and light as possible and with a decent display. It is the perfect compact mirrorless camera for me. About as small as the Sony NEX series but no dust issues whatsoever and a much more enticing selection of lenses to attach to it without adapters. Picture style bracketing is also a boon to me. Samsung NX has a picture style bracketing option but it is limited to just 3 picture styles and saving even just 3 photos in succession really slows the camera down.

I guess you could say I have GAS but I also use the gear to take a few pictures every now and then, some of them that I think are half-decent are in my blog that is linked below. Thanks for reading all this and not falling asleep in the process :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Kirill!

Welcome to the forum, from snowy Detroit Michigan USA.

Glad to have you with us.

Regards,

Jim

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Welcome to forum! I haven't seen too many photos from Estonia here, so please share yours. :smile:

4. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Thanks guys! I do have a few pictures of Tallin in my blog,
    but be warned - some of them are in HDR :) Here you go:
    Kirill's photo blog: Toompea Hill in HDR
    Kirill's photo blog: Jaani Church in Tallinn
    Kirill's photo blog: Jaani Church reflected
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DdDhU8jek...8/3WWyqXiKaS0/s1600/Viru+Hotel+north+view.JPG
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2jzYvIeB4...On-eCngk/s1600/tallinn+centre+aerial+view.JPG

I think if I was a tourist in Tallinn I'd snap up many more in just a few days,
    but living here since birth kind of makes it harder to have a fresh perspective.
    My favourite pastime in Tallinn is walking in Kadriorg Park, basically hiding from the city life :)

• Like Like x 1