Hello, All.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Mookalafalas, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    My name is Al Walzem. I'm an from Illinois and Michigan originally, but now teach English in Southern Taiwan.
    I got the photography bug 2 years ago and got a GF1. I loved it, but quickly exchanged it for a Canon 550D (T2i) to go lens crazy, which I did. I later traded the 550D for a 5D, and then a 5D2, and have spent several thousand dollars (that I really should be saving) on lenses.
    Recently at the Canon sight I saw an ad for a second hand GF1 and the 20mm. Remembering how much fun it was, I bought it. The disparity between my full frame cannon and the M4/3 was pretty big, though, so...soon after I got a bit of money for a side job and bought a Gx1 with the new X-zoom to see if that little boost in image quality would satisfy me.

To be honest, I still haven't decided whether to stick with it or sell it all to round out my collection of Canon glass... I actually joined this group with the intention of selling my stuff, but by coincidence my Canon just went to Sigma for calibration with a lens, so I think I'm going to play with these a few more days and then decide. I'm rather scared of starting to buy even more lenses for a second system, but there is something very appealing about this small and portable form....:rolleyes::rolleyes: Really don't know where I'm going yet.
    Anyway, sorry to anyone who waded through all this. Didn't intend to start such a ramble. Will put up some pics in gallery, and see what's what, I think...

2. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I sold my 5D and collection of L glass and bought a GX1 with the x zoom and a 20mm prime. There will be a few more lenses added, but I plan to keep it simple. The GX1 has reinvigorated my photography! It is so great to have a camera I can take anywhere, so I am getting shots that I never would have before because the 5D would have stayed at home, and the GX1 comes with me.

Welcome to the forum :)

3. Mookalafalas

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    I understand what you mean, Scott, and thanks for the welcome! I went out twice today and shot, and it is really fun to have something that, comparatively, is weightless. I have recently decided to sell my 70-200 Mark2 because it's like hauling a bowling ball around with you everywhere. That said, though, I'm a college teacher and ride a scooter and take a back pack around with me everywhere, so I'm not that hampered by a bigger camera. But this GX1 sure is fun!

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Al... With your recent 7-14 acquisition it sounds like you have decided to settle in with m4/3 a bit more. I'll bet the GX1 is nice. That's one Pany body I don't have and would like to get.

Did you trade your GX1 on the E-PM1 already? Let me guess... for IBIS?

Congrats on your 7-14.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sold my Canon gear and never looked back - I love :43:. Welcome to the forum! :biggrin:

6. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Welcome to the forum. Got my M4/3 today and about to sell my Nikon gear.

7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Welcome Al from across the pond :smile:

Terrific lens the 7-14

8. Mookalafalas

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    Hello, gentleman! Thanks for the friendly greetings. When I hit "user CP" it didn't show anything, but I started browsing "new posts" and found these comments in my own thread...very strange!
    Anyway, I sold my GX1 because I needed money for a Canon 5D2, and then I got a 5D3...I ended up coming back to M4/3 for the small size factor. I do a lot of walkaround, and hate how suspicious people look of my giant Canon stuff.
    Unfortunately, I have completely lost control since coming back to M4/3. I now have an E-Pm1 and today a GF3 arrived, in a package with a Pan 20mm (the forum listed a package deal so cheap I couldn't resist...). This week I also got a Samyang fisheye. My credit card is weeping real tears. I will have to start purging soon, I think, but want to see what I really "need". If I can get my wife to become more enthusiastic about shooting, I may hold onto more stuff. She's kind of intimidated by buttons and lenses. I think she'll like the GF3 a lot, though. Today the sky is really blue, so good for wide angle. However, it's about 90 degrees outside, and humid. I have to work up the energy (and courage!) to go out and do some serious walkaround work...
    Anyway, thanks again for the friendly thoughts :)