1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hello, All.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Mookalafalas, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    My name is Al Walzem. I'm an from Illinois and Michigan originally, but now teach English in Southern Taiwan.
    I got the photography bug 2 years ago and got a GF1. I loved it, but quickly exchanged it for a Canon 550D (T2i) to go lens crazy, which I did. I later traded the 550D for a 5D, and then a 5D2, and have spent several thousand dollars (that I really should be saving) on lenses.
    Recently at the Canon sight I saw an ad for a second hand GF1 and the 20mm. Remembering how much fun it was, I bought it. The disparity between my full frame cannon and the M4/3 was pretty big, though, so...soon after I got a bit of money for a side job and bought a Gx1 with the new X-zoom to see if that little boost in image quality would satisfy me.

To be honest, I still haven't decided whether to stick with it or sell it all to round out my collection of Canon glass... I actually joined this group with the intention of selling my stuff, but by coincidence my Canon just went to Sigma for calibration with a lens, so I think I'm going to play with these a few more days and then decide. I'm rather scared of starting to buy even more lenses for a second system, but there is something very appealing about this small and portable form....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:  Really don't know where I'm going yet.
    Anyway, sorry to anyone who waded through all this. Didn't intend to start such a ramble. Will put up some pics in gallery, and see what's what, I think...

2. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I sold my 5D and collection of L glass and bought a GX1 with the x zoom and a 20mm prime. There will be a few more lenses added, but I plan to keep it simple. The GX1 has reinvigorated my photography! It is so great to have a camera I can take anywhere, so I am getting shots that I never would have before because the 5D would have stayed at home, and the GX1 comes with me.

Welcome to the forum :) 

3. Mookalafalas

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    I understand what you mean, Scott, and thanks for the welcome! I went out twice today and shot, and it is really fun to have something that, comparatively, is weightless. I have recently decided to sell my 70-200 Mark2 because it's like hauling a bowling ball around with you everywhere. That said, though, I'm a college teacher and ride a scooter and take a back pack around with me everywhere, so I'm not that hampered by a bigger camera. But this GX1 sure is fun!

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Al... With your recent 7-14 acquisition it sounds like you have decided to settle in with m4/3 a bit more. I'll bet the GX1 is nice. That's one Pany body I don't have and would like to get.

Did you trade your GX1 on the E-PM1 already? Let me guess... for IBIS?

Congrats on your 7-14.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sold my Canon gear and never looked back - I love :43:. Welcome to the forum! :biggrin:

6. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Welcome to the forum. Got my M4/3 today and about to sell my Nikon gear.

7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Welcome Al from across the pond :smile:

Terrific lens the 7-14

8. Mookalafalas

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    Hello, gentleman! Thanks for the friendly greetings. When I hit "user CP" it didn't show anything, but I started browsing "new posts" and found these comments in my own thread...very strange!
    Anyway, I sold my GX1 because I needed money for a Canon 5D2, and then I got a 5D3...I ended up coming back to M4/3 for the small size factor. I do a lot of walkaround, and hate how suspicious people look of my giant Canon stuff.
    Unfortunately, I have completely lost control since coming back to M4/3. I now have an E-Pm1 and today a GF3 arrived, in a package with a Pan 20mm (the forum listed a package deal so cheap I couldn't resist...). This week I also got a Samyang fisheye. My credit card is weeping real tears. I will have to start purging soon, I think, but want to see what I really "need". If I can get my wife to become more enthusiastic about shooting, I may hold onto more stuff. She's kind of intimidated by buttons and lenses. I think she'll like the GF3 a lot, though. Today the sky is really blue, so good for wide angle. However, it's about 90 degrees outside, and humid. I have to work up the energy (and courage!) to go out and do some serious walkaround work...
    Anyway, thanks again for the friendly thoughts :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.