1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello All! New 4/3 convert & New to forum.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Rrexy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Rrexy

Rrexy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Belcamp, MD
    Randy
    My name is Randy and I'm from Belcamp, MD.
    I've been in to photography on a personal lever for over 30 years (Wow, I don't like the sound of that . . . . . . I'm getting old!!!)
    My first SLR was the Minolta X-370, followed by a Canon Elan IIe.
    My first venture into Digital SLRs was a Canon XT. I can remember opening the box like it was yesterday -
    Since that first DSLR I've come a long way. I've owned too many Canon bodies and lenses to remember -20D, 30D, 40D, 7D, 1D MkIIn, 1D MkIII, 5D II, 5D III and most "L" lenses, except for the longer telephotos (I've had up to a 300mm 2.8), quite a few Sigmas (the 120-300 2.8 being my favorite sports lens from any manufacturer!), and some Tamron & Tokina as well.
    I've loved being able to try out equipment - as for many, it has almost become an obsession!
    I started earning money for my shooting about 8 years ago, primarily from sports shooting (action posters).
    As my number of clients grew, so did my range of work.
    Now I find myself shooting Senior portraits, Baby/Newborn Portraits, Weddings, Pets, all in addition to the sports.

I Recently started looking at the OMD and was very intrigued. The more I researched, the more interested I became, until I finally took the plunge.
    With the exception of my 7D and a 100-300mm Sigma which I use for sports, I sold my 5D III and all of my associated Canon lenses.
    I purchased the OMD and a host of lenses, intent on giving the system a 100% honest shot!
    I've just become comfortable with the functions of the OMD and have only been "playing" so far. I've yet to use it for an actual shoot. However, I feel comfortable with my new tools and look forward to the opportunity. I understand it's limitations vs. the Canon system but I am looking forward to advantages of the new 4/3 system!
    I do hope that advancements are made in the area of focus tracking for my sports photography. I'll be sticking with the 7D & Sigma combo for sports until improvements are made in the 4/3 arena.

I'm looking forward to learning & contributing on this forum!

Randy

• Like Like x 4
  2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Welcome to the forum Randy.

3. Rrexy

Rrexy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Belcamp, MD
    Randy
    Thank You Eric!
    Seems like a good group of people here.
    I'm looking forward to learnig from everyone!

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Eric!

I used an X370 as a backup for an X700 for quite awhile, later on handed 'em down to the kids.

Enjoy your new OM-D!

Regards,

Jim

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Welcome!

Nice to have you here Randy.
    My first SLR was the Minolta X-370 too. I still have it, and use it for B&W from time to time. I use the lenses from it on my ยต4/3 camera.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! Which :43: lenses do you have?

8. Rrexy

Rrexy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Belcamp, MD
    Randy
    Thanks for for the Welcomes!

RevBob - I've got a collection of all M4/3 lenses at the moment. Selling my Canon gear allowed me to cover a lot of bases!

Here's the list so far:

Panasonic 25mm 1.4, Olympus 45mm 1.8, Olympus 75mm 1.8, Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8, Panasonic 35-100mm 2.8 & Olympus 14-150mm 4.0-5.6

There are still a couple in the wide range I have my eye on but they'll have to wait a little while!
    There's also a few of the 4/3 lenses that I would love to play with - the 150mm 2.0 being the first on that list. Hopefully down the road there will be a better converter to allow for the quick auto focus of the OMD when using the 4/3 lenses . . . . . .

Randy