Hello All! New 4/3 convert & New to forum.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Rrexy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Rrexy

Rrexy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Belcamp, MD
    Randy
    My name is Randy and I'm from Belcamp, MD.
    I've been in to photography on a personal lever for over 30 years (Wow, I don't like the sound of that . . . . . . I'm getting old!!!)
    My first SLR was the Minolta X-370, followed by a Canon Elan IIe.
    My first venture into Digital SLRs was a Canon XT. I can remember opening the box like it was yesterday -
    Since that first DSLR I've come a long way. I've owned too many Canon bodies and lenses to remember -20D, 30D, 40D, 7D, 1D MkIIn, 1D MkIII, 5D II, 5D III and most "L" lenses, except for the longer telephotos (I've had up to a 300mm 2.8), quite a few Sigmas (the 120-300 2.8 being my favorite sports lens from any manufacturer!), and some Tamron & Tokina as well.
    I've loved being able to try out equipment - as for many, it has almost become an obsession!
    I started earning money for my shooting about 8 years ago, primarily from sports shooting (action posters).
    As my number of clients grew, so did my range of work.
    Now I find myself shooting Senior portraits, Baby/Newborn Portraits, Weddings, Pets, all in addition to the sports.

I Recently started looking at the OMD and was very intrigued. The more I researched, the more interested I became, until I finally took the plunge.
    With the exception of my 7D and a 100-300mm Sigma which I use for sports, I sold my 5D III and all of my associated Canon lenses.
    I purchased the OMD and a host of lenses, intent on giving the system a 100% honest shot!
    I've just become comfortable with the functions of the OMD and have only been "playing" so far. I've yet to use it for an actual shoot. However, I feel comfortable with my new tools and look forward to the opportunity. I understand it's limitations vs. the Canon system but I am looking forward to advantages of the new 4/3 system!
    I do hope that advancements are made in the area of focus tracking for my sports photography. I'll be sticking with the 7D & Sigma combo for sports until improvements are made in the 4/3 arena.

I'm looking forward to learning & contributing on this forum!

Randy

• Like Like x 4
  2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Welcome to the forum Randy.

3. Rrexy

Rrexy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Belcamp, MD
    Randy
    Thank You Eric!
    Seems like a good group of people here.
    I'm looking forward to learnig from everyone!

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Eric!

I used an X370 as a backup for an X700 for quite awhile, later on handed 'em down to the kids.

Enjoy your new OM-D!

Regards,

Jim

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Welcome!

Nice to have you here Randy.
    My first SLR was the Minolta X-370 too. I still have it, and use it for B&W from time to time. I use the lenses from it on my µ4/3 camera.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Welcome!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! Which :43: lenses do you have?

8. Rrexy

Rrexy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Belcamp, MD
    Randy
    Thanks for for the Welcomes!

RevBob - I've got a collection of all M4/3 lenses at the moment. Selling my Canon gear allowed me to cover a lot of bases!

Here's the list so far:

Panasonic 25mm 1.4, Olympus 45mm 1.8, Olympus 75mm 1.8, Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8, Panasonic 35-100mm 2.8 & Olympus 14-150mm 4.0-5.6

There are still a couple in the wide range I have my eye on but they'll have to wait a little while!
    There's also a few of the 4/3 lenses that I would love to play with - the 150mm 2.0 being the first on that list. Hopefully down the road there will be a better converter to allow for the quick auto focus of the OMD when using the 4/3 lenses . . . . . .

Randy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.