1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Helios-89 30mm f1.9 (refitted from FED Mikron)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by gnarlydog australia, May 23, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I was intrigued what the Helios-89 on the half-frame Russian FED Mikron would look like on the Micro 4/3 sensor. The camera had a fixed lens of 30mm f1.9 and the aperture was part of the camera acting as shutter too but the camera was no longer functioning. Time for a transplant :)

I could not save/incorporate the aperture blades but I manged to remove the lens.
    I didn't like the short throw (90 degrees) focus helicoid on the lens that would give me only 1 meter minimum focus.
    I removed the optical block and refitted it inside a PVC fitting used for electrical work.
    I used JB Weld to secure the small lens group inside the barrel and I wrapped a few layers of Teflon plumber's tape on the thread to take up the wobble on the not-so-precise thread and add some dampening.

27063666862_2d29c4deaf_b. Helios-89 refit components_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

The Teflon tape makes the focusing very pleasant and buttery (almost like a "real" lens :whistling:)
    I have gained a lot in close-up distance too and can now go as close as 30cm while being able to do a much more precise focusing with a finer thread than the original helicoid.
    The PVC was painted black inside to keep reflections at bay, the integrated hood of the PVC fitting helps handling or the lens would be to small to grab properly.

27063999802_ab87b254e1_b. Helios-89 on E-P5_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I used a M39 LTM adapter as base, removed the "silver" threaded ring and glued (JB Weld) a shaved down flange nut that came with the PVC fitting.

The lens is pretty sharp wide open and the bokeh is not super bubbly but not nervous either.
    First sample images are pleasant.

27091797811_c903337cd7_b. DV220495_Helios-89 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

27091823611_d19e0586b2_b. DV220490_Helios-89 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very cool!

Love all your DIY conversions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Thank you.
    As a tinkerer at heart I prefer home-made solutions to DIY projects than the more common current 3D printing. There is something organic about a hands-on approach versus a highly calculated and off-site third party commercial solution that ends up often being limiting and rather costly.
    The only tool that I find essential is the high speed drill (Dremel) as hand filing sometimes becomes impossible with some projects.
    If I then find that my refitted lens is remarkable and warrants a finer mount I seek an old lens that has the optics toast (moldy, chipped) and reuse that body to house the desired optical block. With longer lenses (longer back focus) I even manage to acquire aperture control.
    The desire to refit lenses from smaller format rangefinder cameras comes from the result of a much smaller lens than your typical SLR adaptation, where only half of the original image circle is utilized.
    Small is beautiful to me; one of the very reasons why I am on Micro 4/3 format after all!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    • Like Like x 3
  5. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia