1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Helios-44M adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by embassyhill, Jul 14, 2014.

1. embassyhill

embassyhill New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    I have an Olympus E-PM2 and I'm interested in using a Helios-44M lens I have. I live in Europe so I thought I'd look at Amazon UK. There's a whole bunch of options there. Which one should I get? I know many people use this lens so I would like to hear from experience if there's any that works without having to grind it or other issues. I've read auto-aperture causes problems. The one I have has a manual-/auto-aperture switch.

2. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    There are two types of M42 adapter.
    With and without flange. Flange is to push aperture bolt. I have both of them and use as required. However, one of them is for M42>EF (for focal reducer and EF>MFT adapter) and the other M42>4/3 (for 4/3>MFT adapter).
    If you have working manual/auto switch, you can choose "flangeless" version. There are plenty on eBay (as far as I'm concerned, you don't pay taxes for import below 35 EUR in EU).

Frankly speaking - any adapter is OK for your lens. The only question is - are you planning to collect more M42 lenses and which? :)

M42 without flange:
    [​IMG]

M42 with flange (for non-switch lenses):
    $(KGrHqZHJDoFCBsN3oJyBQkPhkry1g~~60_57.JPG

3. embassyhill

embassyhill New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Thank you for answering. I already lost hope of getting a reply so I ordered an XCSOURCE adapter from Amazon. Haven't received it yet. I don't intend to buy M42 lenses, I took this one from my father's Zenit EM :)

4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I'd suggest getting an adapter without the flange. Since the lens has its own A/M switch it will be easier to use on an adapter w/o flange. When you set an aperture, the lens stays wide open for easier and more accurate focusing and you merely have to flip the switch to quickly stop down to the selected f/stop just before taking the picture. This combination works like the old "pre-set" lenses and is more functional than the pure manual stop-down required when an adapter with a flange is used. Adapters with flanges should be reserved for those lenses that lack their own A/M switch.

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    There are a few other options you might want to consider.

A M42 to µ4/3 focusing helicoid.
    My M42 adapter has a focusing helicoid built in, which effectively turns any M42 lens into a closer focusing model. There are two versions of the extending M42 adapters around one claims to mainatin infinity focus when not extended. Typically mines the other one which is ~0.1mm too long for infinity focus with my Helios - but seems OK with my longer M42 lenses.
    Having two focusing rings can be slightly awkward but a lot less so than adding extension tubes to take a close up!

Tilt or Shift Adapters
    I'm fairly sure both tiltable adapters & shift adapters are also available for M42. These are probably much more niche products giving options normally only available with a ultra expensive perspective control lens. I don't think there's an option that gives both - to do that you need to fork out >£1000 on a proper tilt/shift lens!

6. embassyhill

embassyhill New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    I received the XCSOURCE adapter. As seen in Pawel's second image, it has a flange (I didn't know about the flange thing when ordering). I was able to shoot fine with it and manual focusing was kind of OK when the subject cooperated :). It consists of two parts. One can be rotated inside the other so that the lens markings will be facing upwards. It has an included tool for loosening the screws. But I couldn't turn one of the screws. They are too tiny. At least it was cheap. Also, the adapter and lens combination weighs more than an E-PM2 :)

7. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    That's the charm of Soviet lenses ;) I have Cyclop 85/1.5 from night-vision device and it's built like a tank!
    At the beginning manual focusing isn't easy, but after some practice, you'll do good. I didn't like my manual lenses, but now Canon V6x17 17-102/2 [C-mount] is my favourite :)
    Also - Helios is a very good lens. There are gazillions of great opinions online.