1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Helios 44m-7 on EM5_help with aperture

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bobds78, May 11, 2015.

1. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

I had been searching far and wide but couldn't find any info on how to use these fine lenses on our beloved m4/3 bodies.

There are info saying that the rear pin needs to be pressed down in order for the aperture ring to work properly and I bought myself an adapter with an inside flange and yet that doesn't solve the problem.

Hence, I am creating this new thread hoping someone will be able to help out here.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    "Modern" lenses do not close the diaphragm when you turn the aperture ring: you turn and nothing happens. The reason is to provide the brightest possible image in the view finder. The lens is "stopped down" only during the shot or when the "aperture preview" button is pressed.

On the bottom of mechanical lenses there is a pin or a small "blade" and moving these causes the diaphragm to close (unless the aperture is set wide open).

Try this: set the aperture to f8, find the pin and check if it is working fine looking through the lens without the adapter. Then it should be easier to understand how the adapter is supposed to work and if there is some mechanical problem (hole too small, etc.). When the lens is connected to the adapter the aperture ring should immediately change the aperture.

A few adapters have an "on/off" ring or button that acts as an "aperture/depth of field preview" switch. If there is anything like this on the adapter try both positions looking through the lens.

Otherwise which lens is it (EDIT: ops, is in the subject...)? Can you post a few pictures of lens and adapter?

3. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

Here's the image of the actual lens:

542396246F604B0CBBC4F0E1DDA26A85. 5097C16422EA474C911CDDF9199154FC.

I tried pressing the rear pin down and turn the aperture, nothing happens. I also found that the aperture hole doesn't seem to correspond to the stops turned. I feared that something more serious had happened, like mechanical failure.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, if it was working properly, you could set the aperture to f4, push the pin, and watch the blades close and then re-open as you let go.

Edit: although in the first picture your aperture does appear to be closed to f16 as set, so what exactly is the issue?

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Could be this:

Otherwise oily/stuck blades? If you like the idea: just open it: :)

6. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

tkbskt
    I followed the steps you stated yet it doesn't work as it should i.e. stop down to a value and press the pin down and aperture should close, but it didn't.

Klorenzo
    Thanks for the video. I will try opening it up today and post the results soon.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

So I opened it up and I found that there's a some sort of hook supposedly hooking the long pin has gone out and after latching it back, and the stop-down pin modified to be pressed down continuosly by inserting a roughly 3mm rubber ink tube(as in the 1st video above) , the aperture blades now close down when the ring is turned. So its a success!

Thanks guys!

Here's the photo of the hook/latch:-

Helios 44m-7 fixed.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

Just to clarify:

This lens that I opened up (as shown in the last photo & you might have noticed it already) is a 2nd unit that I bought at the same time as the mint looking unit. So I am opening up the mint copy sometime later today. Both lenses arrived at the same time and both didn't work as they should. Now I have fixed one and will do the second one later. I will report back the results..

9. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

So I had also opened up the minty 44m-7 and did the following:-

1. Pull the U-shaped hook and latched it to the long pin
    2. Cut a +/- 3mm section from a ballpoint pen ink tuba and insert the press-down pin into it to act as a stopper to press down the mechanism that pull the long pin back & forth as the aperture ring is turned

Now the aperture closes and opens accordingly as the ring is turned. The following are some photos I took of processes. Hope it will help someone in the future.

1. Opening up the back plate
    P_20150512_121716.

The loose latch
    P_20150512_122018_1.

3. Hooking back to the long pin
    P_20150512_122358_1.

4. Putting a stopper to this press-down pin
    P_20150512_122436_1.

Sample pics from the Helios 44m-7 58mm f2
    At f2
    f2.JPG

At f5.6
    f5.6.JPG

At f16
    f16.JPG

10. bobds78

bobds78 Mu-43 Rookie

I must say that the Helios 44m-7 is a really sharp lens. Even wide-open f2, it's alreafy sharp, stopping down to f5.6 it's very very sharp and even at f16 it's sharp! I think it is a good investment.

Frankly, I am not 100% sure of what I did to the lens i.e. pulling the hook-like thingy to the long pin is correct or not, but the end results is that the manual aperture now works. If someone who has the knowledge about this to give their comments or recommendations that would be very very much appreciated.