Helios 44m 2/58

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by G1user, Oct 23, 2011.

1. G1user

G1user Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2011
    Oldham UK
    Picked this lens up at a car boot for next to nothing as it looked like it hadn't been used since purchased. The receipt was in the box dated 1990. Is it worth getting an adaptor for this for my G1 or sell it on?

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Have a look around this site and Flickr for images taken with the Helios 44-2 and mu43 cameras and then you decide. An adaptor would cost you barely over $10 so as long as the lens is in good shape then why not ? ....the best thing to do is to shoot with the lens and then decide for yourself whether it gives you what you want.

As a start, check out the following thread.
    All of the images I took with a GF1 and the Helios 44-2.

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/my-experience-helios-58mm-f2-16481/

3. G1user

G1user Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2011
    Oldham UK
    Thanks Livnius

Im pretty new to photography, this lens has a screw mount so am i right in thinking its an m42 adaptor i will need. For the £2 ($3.25) it cost me i think i need to get an adaptor as i have no lens in that range so has to be worth a look :)

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Yeah, m42 screw mount. Like I said....an m42 to m43 adapter shouldn't cost too much more than 5 pounds on ebay, and being a relatively common mount even if you decided to sell the Helios on at some point the adapter you'll probably keep for another m42 lens you pick up along the way.

Remember the Helios 44-2 is not the sharpest or most contrasty lens out there, but it has a wonderful character in the way it renders and has quite a loyal following. Check out Flickr for Helios 44-2 and you will find many wonderful and inspiring images taken with it.

Good luck :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

@G1user:

Do you have a Helios-44-2 (with the separate pre-set aperture ring) or a Helios-44M (with a single "normal" aperture ring and the auto/manual switch)? If its a Helios 44-M, a standard M42 - Micro 4/3 adapter will work just fine and give you the full range of focus. I don't have any experience with the Helios-44-2.

This is one of my favorite lenses. I really like the combination of the slightly longer focal length and the wide aperture - you can really get foreground objects to "pop". And with all due respect to Livnius, I'm very pleased with the sharpness and contrast.

You can see some sample images at Helios-44M - Mu-43 Gallery

Have fun!