Helios 44, worth getting?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Farcanalman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    I saw 2 old Zenith cameras today for £10 each, one with a Helios 44 58/2 (am assuming that is a 58mm f2) and the other with Pentacon 50mm f 1.8!

Are they worth getting just for the lenses and throw the bodies?

:eek:

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Done!

I am impressed with the image thread and will go get those lenses, well at least the Helios!

Thanks for the input!

:2thumbs:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, these are keepers! But I wouldn't throw away the bodies... they'll be good keepsakes too. ;)

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I use them as lens caps. Old film cameras are cheaper than buying real lens caps.

7. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    What?!!!

I will keep the bodies for a while in case they sell and get lens caps, as the room in my camera case required to house 2 bodies as lens caps would be ridiculous!

:rofl:

Ok, I bit that one didn't I?

:rolleyes:

8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

At that price, get them both! I think the Pentacon is probably the better lens; it's a re-badged Meyer Orestor and is pretty sharp. Wide open it is slightly soft, so well suited to portraiture, but at f/2.8 it is crisp.

I had a Helios 44 and hated it, but others rate it highly. I replaced my Zenit B/Helios 44 with an Olympus OM-1/Zuiko 50/1.8 and the difference was amazing. Perhaps I had a bad copy. :wink:

9. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    The Helios 44 is much better then the pentacom - it's a copy of a very famous Zeiss design, but they are both keepers and very distinct. I would even say that the Helios is the best lens to buy in the world regarding price and performance.

10. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Then I must have been very, very, very unlucky, because mine was baaaad. :mad:

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I do the opposite... I don't have a single body cap in sight, I always use my smaller lenses for that.

12. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    In what way was it bad? My first copy had fungus, but the next ones were perfect and their performance was hard to distinguish from the Zeiss Biotar.

I have had bad luck with the Oreston - three copies with fungus. I will try a fourth time this week. I have a Domiplan and I had an Orestor (Pentacon electric 135mm) - both have failed to impress me, but the Oreston seems more promissing - especially that 33cm MFD.

13. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    If you buy a Helios 44-3, you have to be careful. When it's screwed into the adapter, the focus ring jams up against the adapter, thus making it impossible to turn the focus ring.

The solution is to grind down the focus ring by 2 mm so that the focus ring can spin free, but that's not cheap to do. Alternatively I'm thinking of a washer to insert into the adapter to see if it'll work.

14. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    The SU lenses varying greatly in quality. Its not uncommon for some to be great and others to be bad. You just have to burn through enough of them to get a good one.

15. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    They don't vary in quality. They vary in condition. Most of them have been poorly stored, some have been disassembled by amateurs and were badly put back together, some have suffered various forms of abuse. They work great if they were well maintained or if they get cleaned up by a professional.