1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Heliopan IR Filters

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tradesmith45, Jun 24, 2013.

1. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Do any of you IR shooters use the Heliopan IR filters?

As you may have seen from another post, I've had significant flare when using the Hoya R72 IR filter.

In response to my inquiry, B&H determined that the Heliopan IR filters have a SH-PMC 16 layer coating. Its unclear to me whether this multi coating will be effective in the IR range.

Its a $110 filter so before I spend that, do any of you have experience you can report on this filter?

Thanks much.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Its possible to use the different thickness in the standard coating process to change the wavelengths it works for. Given the filter is an IR one it would be pointless to coat it without adjusting the wavelength.

However the lens coatings will still be normal ones so its unlikely to have much affect on the image - great if you have a special IR lens otherwise not worth trying.

3. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    As one dabbler to another, I'm hoping to find someone who has used one of these or the B&W 092m which is also coated.

Thanks though for your thoughts.

4. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Well as a follow up, I emailed Mark at his IR blog & got this reply. So no advantage in spending $100+ on a multicoated IR filter. Us a good (non-factory) hood
    instead.

"Terry, I have seen this time and time again. Even the more expensive filters with multi coatings do not help. The real issue is that the coatings on the INSIDE of the lens barrel reflect IR light and cause it to bounce around between the lenses and the sensor. Believe it or not the easiest fix is to try different apertures on the lens at different zoom settings.

I have tested ALL of the B+W filters and the Heliopan. It made no difference."