Heir Apparent ... Baby In A Manger

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The first egg, of many to come, unless the nest is destroyed. It’s what people do in fear and lacking understanding, not to mention the care it takes to avoid disturbing a nest of this kind, situated as it is and in proximity to people.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

She can be dangerous, fierce in her protection of the nest, with a sting she’s famous for. But not so careless as to throw away her life without cause. And so is the window for mutual respect, due care and attention to her needs.

After using a small 12″ laptop for 5 weeks I really appreciate these pictures on a bigger 24″ screen. So much better, more detailed, and easier on these old eyes. If you are on a small screen see them on a bigger one, even the TV.

From three cells to four, future development in mind, she builds her castle a room at a time. She uses her antennae to listen to her egg developing. I’m sure she can hear things we can’t. And isn’t she photogenic, against a clear background.

Day and night she climbs all over the nest, checking for any flaws in the structure or signs of invasion by other creatures that would take advantage of her work. Watching out for the health of the egg. Such is her nature, ever vigilant.

Here she is laying the second egg. It’s as close as I could get without risk of disturbing her or the nest, and that wouldn’t do for my photogenic friend. I would have her survive the season without having to move home mid-birth.

After a short while photographing her she got used to me and no longer made those staccato dancing moves that indicate she is alarmed and on the verge of attack. If I had stayed longer she would have come to accept me as part of her nature and so would the offspring, though still wild, make no mistake. Some of the best safaris happen in the garden.

I noticed this queen paper wasp nesting in an out of the way place. So I observed her a while.

Over the weeks the nest grew slowly from three cells to five. So she was preparing for the future, a castle for her little dynasty.

I didn’t see her come and go, to gather the materials for the building. In fact I thought she was conserving herself, for the first egg to grow.

Obviously she had other designs in her mind. Her young would develop, the first would help with the next, and so on until …

Some would take off and start the process somewhere else, and on it goes. That’s nature, never ending, always burgeoning.

No matter what we do to the earth, and we are doing more than can be told, she will survive. But things will change.

And ‘adapt or die’ will echo through the psyche, as it has down the ages. Forms come and go, life goes on.

No point in lamenting the past. It takes pain for Man to change, unfortunately, or not.

So it is we develop in time, until time’s up.

Maybe it’s all just apparent.

Maybe not ...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another nice set and back story
We get a fair few wasps at our place and fairly large nests. Not sure if it is true but i was once told they like the sugar in the mortar in our brickwork.
Not game to get close enough for a photo as i would have to be on a ladder

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another nice set and back story
We get a fair few wasps at our place and fairly large nests. Not sure if it is true but i was once told they like the sugar in the mortar in our brickwork.
Not game to get close enough for a photo as i would have to be on a ladder
Thanks RFL ...

These were taken from a ladder, a bit tricky but she was calm enough since I didn't alarm her.

Don't know about sugar in mortar but I'd say they could establish themselves in an area that consistently caters to their needs.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
The first egg, of many to come, unless the nest is destroyed. It’s what people do in fear and lacking understanding, not to mention the care it takes to avoid disturbing a nest of this kind, situated as it is and in proximity to people.
View attachment 790679

She can be dangerous, fierce in her protection of the nest, with a sting she’s famous for. But not so careless as to throw away her life without cause. And so is the window for mutual respect, due care and attention to her needs.
View attachment 790680

After using a small 12″ laptop for 5 weeks I really appreciate these pictures on a bigger 24″ screen. So much better, more detailed, and easier on these old eyes. If you are on a small screen see them on a bigger one, even the TV.
View attachment 790681

From three cells to four, future development in mind, she builds her castle a room at a time. She uses her antennae to listen to her egg developing. I’m sure she can hear things we can’t. And isn’t she photogenic, against a clear background.
View attachment 790682

Day and night she climbs all over the nest, checking for any flaws in the structure or signs of invasion by other creatures that would take advantage of her work. Watching out for the health of the egg. Such is her nature, ever vigilant.
View attachment 790683

Here she is laying the second egg. It’s as close as I could get without risk of disturbing her or the nest, and that wouldn’t do for my photogenic friend. I would have her survive the season without having to move home mid-birth.
View attachment 790684

After a short while photographing her she got used to me and no longer made those staccato dancing moves that indicate she is alarmed and on the verge of attack. If I had stayed longer she would have come to accept me as part of her nature and so would the offspring, though still wild, make no mistake. Some of the best safaris happen in the garden.
View attachment 790685

I noticed this queen paper wasp nesting in an out of the way place. So I observed her a while.

Over the weeks the nest grew slowly from three cells to five. So she was preparing for the future, a castle for her little dynasty.

I didn’t see her come and go, to gather the materials for the building. In fact I thought she was conserving herself, for the first egg to grow.

Obviously she had other designs in her mind. Her young would develop, the first would help with the next, and so on until …

Some would take off and start the process somewhere else, and on it goes. That’s nature, never ending, always burgeoning.

No matter what we do to the earth, and we are doing more than can be told, she will survive. But things will change.

And ‘adapt or die’ will echo through the psyche, as it has down the ages. Forms come and go, life goes on.

No point in lamenting the past. It takes pain for Man to change, unfortunately, or not.

So it is we develop in time, until time’s up.

Maybe it’s all just apparent.

Maybe not ...
Amazing images (as always) and very interesting and informative text. Thank you!

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Terrific Mark!
I have to ask.....

did you take the stick up the ladder with you?

I love your photos thanks very much👍
Thanks PH... This is an old thread and I had to look for mention of a stick and couldn't find it. Was there a reason you mentioned a stick? I do use a stick a lot but up the ladder here wasn't the time or place, this time.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
My father instilled into me a great fear of spiders and wasps. I got over spiders once I realized how well they took care of all the bugs in my leaky old house. Wasps? Eek - I still avoid them like the plague, but I don't kill them anymore.

Thanks for this set! I know very little about macro photography, but am fascinated by it. Did you do any focus stacking? The DOF seems gigantic, but as I said, I'm an ignoramus about such things.

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My father instilled into me a great fear of spiders and wasps. I got over spiders once I realized how well they took care of all the bugs in my leaky old house. Wasps? Eek - I still avoid them like the plague, but I don't kill them anymore.

Thanks for this set! I know very little about macro photography, but am fascinated by it. Did you do any focus stacking? The DOF seems gigantic, but as I said, I'm an ignoramus about such things.
I understand the fear, we are conditioned at an early age with adults prejudices, etc ... The spiders around my old place keep the mozzies down. The wasps, of many kinds and sizes, do their job in the garden too. The tapestry is made up of many threads, each in its place.

No stacking, just f16 and flash while optimizing what's in focus by the angle of the shots are taken from - some call the magic angle. And it's a big wasp.

Thanks AD...

Awesome shots.
Thanks Chris.

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Again an absolutely wonderful series, Mark.
What a sight on my 21'' iMac !
You show me once again what I'm still lacking (besides your stunning technique): the patience to sit and wait.
When I see your photos I keep asking myself: shall I really get the camera out of the bag or is it better to leave it there ;)

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gawdamighty.

Still sitting slack-jawed.
:)

Again an absolutely wonderful series, Mark.
What a sight on my 21'' iMac !
You show me once again what I'm still lacking (besides your stunning technique): the patience to sit and wait.
When I see your photos I keep asking myself: shall I really get the camera out of the bag or is it better to leave it there ;)
Practice makes ... It's a good general rule to carry the cam ready to go because when in nature you will run into the creatures without notice. Running to get the cam then is usually too late, they're gone. You don't have to sit and wait, just walk in nature and it will present.

Thanks Walter ...

Your pictures make me want a bigger and better monitor! Very nice!
Thanks Roy. They are best bigger, aren't they.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom