1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hei from Stavanger!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Stephan, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Stephan

Stephan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2010
    Stavanger (Norway)
    Hi folks,

I've been silent reader of mu-43 for some weeks now, since I started to look for a new camera.

Compared to you lot here I'm a bloody amateur, but considering the friendly atmosphere around I'll probably won't get shot down immediately. :smile:

And here follows my lengthy introduction...

I'm German by origin, but have lived in Glasgow (Scotland) as a student for a year, and in the Netherlands for 8 years. And now in Norway. I've been taking pictures since the end of my school days, when I got a Canon EOS 1000n as a present from my parents for graduation (nice parents!). I used that one for about 10 years, and had loads of fun with it (especially during my stay in Glasgow), but the gearing failed sometimes around 2003, and that was that.

DSLR's used to be pretty expensive then, so instead I went to Ebay and bought two lots of pre-autofocus Minolta MC/MD equipment for next to nothing from people giving up film for digital. One X700, and one X500, together with loads of lenses. To my embarrassment I have to confess that I only really used the Tokina (28-85) and Sigma (80-200) zooms, as well as the 19mm Vivitar prime. Especially the Sigma was a joy to use as it is really sharp (good portrait lens, too!).

I also got myself a Minolta Dimage Xt. I really like that camera - for me it's the ideal representation of the possibilities of a digital P+S camera: it's really small, but still takes good pictures for an optic that size.

This is my legacy collection (excuses for bad image quality, first post, first image upload):

attachment.php?attachmentid=825&thumb=1.

I loosely followed the evolution of DSLR's, but to my frustration these things tended to get bulkier with every year, instead of smaller. Somehow the possibilities of digital cameras were not implemented. I stopped looking for a year or so, had a look again in March - and there it was: :43:! I couldn't believe my eyes, spent 2 sleepless nights reading reviews on the net, and ordered a GF1 with the 20mm and 14-45mm zoom in the 3rd. And love it!

And now I have to get used to all this digital stuff (RAW processing anybody? :redface:), so probably I'll post millions of stupid questions in the time to come, before posting any pictures...

Have a nice day! Cheers, Stephan

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Hei! Stavanger is a nice city (Bergen is nicer:biggrin:)

Welcome!

3. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Hi Stephan,

everybody's got to start somewhere. Communities such as this are a great place for it. Welcome!

Dan

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Stephan - you have found the best place to learn about MFT.

5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Stephan ! Thanks for joining us, take a seat and relax, we look forward to your postings !

6. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    spain
    Hi Stephan, and thanks for your introduction. Wellcome here :biggrin:

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hey Stephan, I'm looking to buy a cheap Sony Alpha DSLR to use with some older Minolta lenses : big fat plasticky camera ... but 'free' lenses! Yey.
    I'm looking forward to comparing with my 4/3rds and micro-4/3rds stuff.