1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Heeeeeeere fishy, fishy, fishy...just ordered the Samyang 7.5mm!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Oct 15, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So, this is a bit of idiocy...but even though the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is made about 6km from my house IN MY CITY...it's $80 cheaper for me to order it from New York *AND HAVE IT SENT BACK TO KOREA* (Making a roughly 30,000 km trip, ending exactly where it started!!!!) than to buy it locally. Insanity.

Either way...I bought the "Bower" (I don't get it...but the Bower is $239, the Rokinon is $269 and the Samyang is $299...even though it's the same thing)...in Korea it's the other way around...the Samyang is $320, while the Bower is $500+!!!

It's on its way to my friend's house in New York State...he's sending a box of goodies to a friend in Korea anyways, so he's just going to slap the lens in there! :D I can't wait to get it...I love UWAs, but have never owned a fisheye before!

2. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Multiple fishes swimming in the sea

You're not the only one waiting for your new fisheye (heeeeeere fishy, fishy fishy!) - I just purchase a slightly used Rokinon copy of the Samyang from a fellow forum member and am also awaiting its arrival...

Hope both of our fishes surpass the expectations we have of them!

3. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Have fun you two. It's a great lens.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    • Like Like x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yep - if you like UWA, then you'll love the fishy. Fantastic value for money. The last 11 shots in this Flickr set were all taken with it. None of them are de-fished. Just make sure you keep the horizon in the middle and for landscapes the fishiness is often unnoticeable.

Oh, a quick tip - make sure you set the IS manual focal length (to 8mm). I forgot on the first outing and wondered why I had some blurred images.

Also, check out Inkista's posts here - she does some fantastic 'little planet' panoramas. I keep meaning to get some time to try this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I just noticed the same price variation when ordering the Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f1.4 lens. Very strange. :eek: Enjoy the fish - it's a fun lens. :smile:

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, gentlemen!!! I can't wait...also, great shot, Gordon!

It'll be a while 'till I get it (since it has to come back to Korea), but it's been shipped from B&H and on its way to my friend's place in New York...hopefully he can ship it in a day or two! :D

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  9. nang3

nang3 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    I've just rented a copy of the Samyang for a trip up to Indo in a few days - didn't have time to get one shipped before I left and was also not certain whether I would like using a fisheye.. but after about 10mins playing around with it on my OMD, im pretty sure il be ordering one as soon as I get back anyway.. great fun little lens that will produce amazing images with the right environment.
    The only thing I miss is the Manual Focus Assist to automatically zoom in when I touch the focus ring like all my other lenses, one of the limitations of it being a totally manual mechanical lens I guess!
    I've just assigned Magnify to Func2 to cover it instead.

10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to miss the magnify function, especially because I already have all of my buttons assigned the way I like them...I wish the OM-D had *REAL* custom functions (instead of the useless MySets)...because one of my custom buttons is set up to switch between AF/MF...I'd love to be able to re-assign that button on the fly (ie: switch to C1) and have it magnify instead, since that button will go unused when the Samgyang will be on the camera.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Set it to halfway between 0.25m and infinity @f8 and just push the button.

Gordon

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, that's exactly waht I was going to do...on a fisheye, I'm really not worried about nailing focus. ;)

13. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Just got my Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm!

Just got my 7.5mm Rokinon (lightly used, from a fellow Mu-43 forum member) today ... it's a beautiful lens.

Here's one of the first images taken with it - of my home in Southern Oregon - used a custom Lightroom Rokinon lens profile to alter the purely fisheye angle-of-view into a modified stereographic one (much closer to an UWC FOV) - with the following results -

10434366026_9cd4acbb0a_b.
    Home by La Chachalaca FotografĂ­a, on Flickr

So far, so good...!

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    At long last, it's here!!! (Ironically enough, to pick it up from my friend - it went from Korea to New York, to a different place in New York and back to Korea in a care package to a mutual friend - I had to drive by the factory where it was made haha)...

But...it's midnight and I'm sick and barely conscious...gonna have to wait 'till tomorrow to test it out...really stoked, though!!! :) Looking forward to dozens of pictures where I'll think "Man that would have been an awesome shot...if my feet weren't in it!" ;)

15. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    How did it turn out?

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha...I've been sick as a dog!! I'm feeling a little better today, but the weather's crappy...hoping to take it out finally tomorrow! :)