Heeeeeeere fishy, fishy, fishy...just ordered the Samyang 7.5mm!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Oct 15, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So, this is a bit of idiocy...but even though the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is made about 6km from my house IN MY CITY...it's $80 cheaper for me to order it from New York *AND HAVE IT SENT BACK TO KOREA* (Making a roughly 30,000 km trip, ending exactly where it started!!!!) than to buy it locally. Insanity.

Either way...I bought the "Bower" (I don't get it...but the Bower is $239, the Rokinon is $269 and the Samyang is $299...even though it's the same thing)...in Korea it's the other way around...the Samyang is $320, while the Bower is $500+!!!

It's on its way to my friend's house in New York State...he's sending a box of goodies to a friend in Korea anyways, so he's just going to slap the lens in there! :D I can't wait to get it...I love UWAs, but have never owned a fisheye before!

2. Multiple fishes swimming in the sea

You're not the only one waiting for your new fisheye (heeeeeere fishy, fishy fishy!) - I just purchase a slightly used Rokinon copy of the Samyang from a fellow forum member and am also awaiting its arrival...

Hope both of our fishes surpass the expectations we have of them!

3. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Have fun you two. It's a great lens.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    • Like Like x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yep - if you like UWA, then you'll love the fishy. Fantastic value for money. The last 11 shots in this Flickr set were all taken with it. None of them are de-fished. Just make sure you keep the horizon in the middle and for landscapes the fishiness is often unnoticeable.

Oh, a quick tip - make sure you set the IS manual focal length (to 8mm). I forgot on the first outing and wondered why I had some blurred images.

Also, check out Inkista's posts here - she does some fantastic 'little planet' panoramas. I keep meaning to get some time to try this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I just noticed the same price variation when ordering the Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f1.4 lens. Very strange. :eek: Enjoy the fish - it's a fun lens. :smile:

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, gentlemen!!! I can't wait...also, great shot, Gordon!

It'll be a while 'till I get it (since it has to come back to Korea), but it's been shipped from B&H and on its way to my friend's place in New York...hopefully he can ship it in a day or two! :D

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  9. nang3

nang3 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    I've just rented a copy of the Samyang for a trip up to Indo in a few days - didn't have time to get one shipped before I left and was also not certain whether I would like using a fisheye.. but after about 10mins playing around with it on my OMD, im pretty sure il be ordering one as soon as I get back anyway.. great fun little lens that will produce amazing images with the right environment.
    The only thing I miss is the Manual Focus Assist to automatically zoom in when I touch the focus ring like all my other lenses, one of the limitations of it being a totally manual mechanical lens I guess!
    I've just assigned Magnify to Func2 to cover it instead.

10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to miss the magnify function, especially because I already have all of my buttons assigned the way I like them...I wish the OM-D had *REAL* custom functions (instead of the useless MySets)...because one of my custom buttons is set up to switch between AF/MF...I'd love to be able to re-assign that button on the fly (ie: switch to C1) and have it magnify instead, since that button will go unused when the Samgyang will be on the camera.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Set it to halfway between 0.25m and infinity @f8 and just push the button.

Gordon

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, that's exactly waht I was going to do...on a fisheye, I'm really not worried about nailing focus. ;)

13. Just got my Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm!

Just got my 7.5mm Rokinon (lightly used, from a fellow Mu-43 forum member) today ... it's a beautiful lens.

Here's one of the first images taken with it - of my home in Southern Oregon - used a custom Lightroom Rokinon lens profile to alter the purely fisheye angle-of-view into a modified stereographic one (much closer to an UWC FOV) - with the following results -

10434366026_9cd4acbb0a_b.
    Home by La Chachalaca FotografĂ­a, on Flickr

So far, so good...!

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    At long last, it's here!!! (Ironically enough, to pick it up from my friend - it went from Korea to New York, to a different place in New York and back to Korea in a care package to a mutual friend - I had to drive by the factory where it was made haha)...

But...it's midnight and I'm sick and barely conscious...gonna have to wait 'till tomorrow to test it out...really stoked, though!!! :) Looking forward to dozens of pictures where I'll think "Man that would have been an awesome shot...if my feet weren't in it!" ;)

15. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    How did it turn out?

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha...I've been sick as a dog!! I'm feeling a little better today, but the weather's crappy...hoping to take it out finally tomorrow! :)