1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

heat issues with the e-p1/2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chris.j.sorensen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chris.j.sorensen

chris.j.sorensen Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    just curious if anyone is having heat issues with either one of these cameras. was looking at the e-p1/2 with the aki-asahi cover, but if the cover is going to contribute to the retention of heat, may consider the e-pl1. i thought that heat may be why olympus allows 7 minutes of video. any idea guys???
    :confused:

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    No issues with heat... even in heavy shooting in hot conditions.

The video time limitation is a European limitation, I think - based on avoiding a tax on video recorder equipment or something?

Cheers

Brian

3. bbrovold

bbrovold Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    You have what they call the "worries". I would wonder more when the cold will suck the life out of the battery.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I had a heat issue 1 time in July on a very hot day.
    I left the screen on and that put the heat icon on.
    I pulled the battery out and then in and the icon was gone.
    No problem since.

The battery I find to be great. The Pen has great power management.
    I have a backup but never needed it.

Hope this helps.

5. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    My E-P1 gets warm to the touch after prolonged use, but not to the point where I have had to stop shooting. Mind you, where I shoot it is rarely under 85F.

Antonio

6. chris.j.sorensen

chris.j.sorensen Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    Thanks guys. I asked because the last time I was in B&H, a shopper at the Olympus kiosk was telling me that he had to return his ep2 due to overheating. Took it with a grain of salt but just figured I'd throw it against the wall here and see if it stuck. Having owned a 420 and currently a 620, I'm quite comfortable with Oly's build quality. Four of my friends are Canon shooters (2 5dII's, a 40d, and an Xti) and they've all complimented the build of my 620 as well as the jpegs that it produces. Thanks again for the input guys! Now if I can sell my 620 setup and avoid being laid off due to our new Governor, the e-p2 will be on it's way!