heat issues with the e-p1/2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chris.j.sorensen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. chris.j.sorensen

chris.j.sorensen Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    just curious if anyone is having heat issues with either one of these cameras. was looking at the e-p1/2 with the aki-asahi cover, but if the cover is going to contribute to the retention of heat, may consider the e-pl1. i thought that heat may be why olympus allows 7 minutes of video. any idea guys???
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    No issues with heat... even in heavy shooting in hot conditions.

The video time limitation is a European limitation, I think - based on avoiding a tax on video recorder equipment or something?

3. bbrovold

bbrovold Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    You have what they call the "worries". I would wonder more when the cold will suck the life out of the battery.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I had a heat issue 1 time in July on a very hot day.
    I left the screen on and that put the heat icon on.
    I pulled the battery out and then in and the icon was gone.
    No problem since.

The battery I find to be great. The Pen has great power management.
    I have a backup but never needed it.

Hope this helps.
  5. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    My E-P1 gets warm to the touch after prolonged use, but not to the point where I have had to stop shooting. Mind you, where I shoot it is rarely under 85F.

6. chris.j.sorensen

chris.j.sorensen Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    Thanks guys. I asked because the last time I was in B&H, a shopper at the Olympus kiosk was telling me that he had to return his ep2 due to overheating. Took it with a grain of salt but just figured I'd throw it against the wall here and see if it stuck. Having owned a 420 and currently a 620, I'm quite comfortable with Oly's build quality. Four of my friends are Canon shooters (2 5dII's, a 40d, and an Xti) and they've all complimented the build of my 620 as well as the jpegs that it produces. Thanks again for the input guys! Now if I can sell my 620 setup and avoid being laid off due to our new Governor, the e-p2 will be on it's way!