Health Issues

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I haven't mentioned this on the forum, but I thought I'd post about my health issues.

About 9 months ago I was diagnosed with an elarged spleen and low white count and low platelet count. Last Monday I had a bone biopsy to see if I had bone cancer or lymphoma. Thankfully, I have neither.

However, the doctors still don't know what is wrong. My condition at this moment is not life threatening and is managable. I'm having a few more scans and tests in the next few weeks to determine more about my condition.

I'm relatively young at 29, and I've never once thought about getting a life threatening disease or cancer. This ordeal has put some perspective on my life and that I need to re-evaluate spending 40+ hours behind a desk and really not "living".

As we draw near to the holiday season, lets be thankful for the time we have with family and friends and to do what makes us happy.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Dj, that is very scary, and I hope you get some reassuring answers soon. Appreciate your holiday season thoughts and will try to spend my time on the important things in life.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Wow, yeah that's a perspective check alright. I hope everything works out OK.

Amazing how much we take for granted when things are going well and how quickly things change. My wife is about a month into a serious case of something like laryngitis. Very difficult situation because she's a grade-school teacher and a voice is pretty important. Even at home, we can communicate just fine, but I miss her full voice - its sort of part of her... It doesn't appear to be anything really serious, not life-threatening, but they're not really sure what it is either and its not responding to anything so far. So even if not life-threatening, it could be voice-threatening / life-changing. And in any case, it wasn't even remotely on the radar until about a month ago - now its a pretty dominant issue in our lives. As your situation clearly is for you.

I'll hope for the best for you. And her. And all of us.

-Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Jason, thank you for feeling comfortable enough to let us know what is going on in your life. Your post is very thoughtful, as well as thought provoking.

I am with Amin - it is scary to have this kind of thing happen and hope you get the reassuring answers you need as soon as possible.

You're so right about perspective - the importance of it and how we all need to wake up and realize what is important to us individually in our lives.

Ray, I hope your wife gets here voice issues resolved very soon, as well.

As we draw near to the holiday season, lets be thankful for the time we have with family and friends and to do what makes us happy.
Thank you, Jason for the excellent advice.

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
All the best to you, Jason! Not that any age is a good age to be getting sick, but you're way too young for any of this. Enjoy time with the family and friends over the holidays - those are the really important things in life!

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
I haven't mentioned this on the forum, but I thought I'd post about my health issues.

About 9 months ago I was diagnosed with an elarged spleen and low white count and low platelet count. Last Monday I had a bone biopsy to see if I had bone cancer or lymphoma. Thankfully, I have neither.

However, the doctors still don't know what is wrong. My condition at this moment is not life threatening and is managable. I'm having a few more scans and tests in the next few weeks to determine more about my condition.

I'm relatively young at 29, and I've never once thought about getting a life threatening disease or cancer. This ordeal has put some perspective on my life and that I need to re-evaluate spending 40+ hours behind a desk and really not "living".

I hope you feel well enough to have a great holiday season, followed by a return to full health. You and I have something in common. I suffer from a blood disorder myself - very severe Polycythaemia Vera, which is an abnormally high red blood cell count. At the moment my red and white counts are sky high, and my platelets are at rock - bottom, so I'm going into hospital for a couple of days from tomorrow.

But here's the punch line:

When I was 22, I was told I'd probably not live more than five or six years... but I'm now 53 :smile:

My best advice is enjoy your life and love the people in it.

All the best,

Colin

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran

Amazing how much we take for granted when things are going well and how quickly things change. My wife is about a month into a serious case of something like laryngitis. Very difficult situation because she's a grade-school teacher and a voice is pretty important. Even at home, we can communicate just fine, but I miss her full voice - its sort of part of her... It doesn't appear to be anything really serious, not life-threatening, but they're not really sure what it is either and its not responding to anything so far. So even if not life-threatening, it could be voice-threatening / life-changing. And in any case, it wasn't even remotely on the radar until about a month ago - now its a pretty dominant issue in our lives. As your situation clearly is for you.

-Ray

All the best to your wife there, Ray - and you too.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
DJ

Good luck and my thoughts are with you for a good outcome to your tests etc.,

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason

-Ray

My father was a teacher and would lose his voice from time to time for weeks at a time so I understand about the laryngitus. I wish her the best of luck as well.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Jason, thank you for feeling comfortable enough to let us know what is going on in your life. Your post is very thoughtful, as well as thought provoking.

I am with Amin - it is scary to have this kind of thing happen and hope you get the reassuring answers you need as soon as possible.

You're so right about perspective - the importance of it and how we all need to wake up and realize what is important to us individually in our lives.

Ray, I hope your wife gets here voice issues resolved very soon, as well.

Thank you, Jason for the excellent advice.

BB,

Thank you. The reason I posted this here is because photography has kept my mind off of things and I'm doing something I enjoy. And even more to the point, while it is never to late to try something new, it also shouldn't take a life changing event to do what we love or to do it more often. I consider mu-43 my "photography" family and that is why I chose to post.

Dj

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I hope you feel well enough to have a great holiday season, followed by a return to full health. You and I have something in common. I suffer from a blood disorder myself - very severe Polycythaemia Vera, which is an abnormally high red blood cell count. At the moment my red and white counts are sky high, and my platelets are at rock - bottom, so I'm going into hospital for a couple of days from tomorrow.

But here's the punch line:

When I was 22, I was told I'd probably not live more than five or six years... but I'm now 53 :smile:

My best advice is enjoy your life and love the people in it.

All the best,

Colin

Thank you. I hope your hospital visit goes well. You do understand what its like to be hit with something that could be serious at a young age.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you. I hope your hospital visit goes well. You do understand what its like to be hit with something that could be serious at a young age.

Thanks very much. It's good that they've ruled out two serious conditions in your case already. Keep your spirits up, and let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Colin

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
You and your family will be in mine and my families' prayers.

I had a fractured skull at the age of 3 I was not supposed to have survived. Though I am told it does explain a lot of things ...

Vivalo

Olympus loser
Dj, I hope all the best for you and the soonest recovery. I think I'm also to photography (and music) to keep my thoughts clear.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Jason,
Your getting a taste of life that many take for granted. It has a flavor we don't want to give up. Now more than ever make images. Take that taste you have and make images with the flavor of your life. Focus clearly and in time all things come to pass.
Know that many here have you in their prayers and thoughts. We all wish the best for you and await the findings of your test by your side.

If you ever need to vent or even curse someone out, call me...I'm all ears.
Take care little brother, we are all with you....
Don

Latest threads

Top Bottom