Heading to the Great Northwest (WA, OR) National Parks, Crater lake etc . Suggestions?

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I believe that you will enjoy the drive down 26 to Bend. Pelton Dam is an interesting place to stop for a few minutes if you are there in the morning. Osprey usually feed them, and they are great to watch. 97 will take you into Bend, and then down towards Crater Lake. I cannot speak about 58, but 126 was quite nice and takes you through Sisters, but that is quite a bit north from Crater Lake. 138 was quite a beautiful drive, and it sticks in my mind as one of the nicest highway drives that I can remember in quite some time. It was so pretty that we were driving at 45mph when there were no cars just so we could enjoy the drive (albeit we were driving a Vanagon which is no speed demon).

Depending how much time youhave from departing Crater Lake, I would recommend 138 58 woudl require backtracking east. Take 138 to roseburg, and then decide if you want to continue heading to Reedsport, or you can head north on I-5 and then head over to the coast on 38 or 126. Reedsport is nice, and it brings you out to the Dunes, if you are interested in seeing/playing there. From there, I would work my way up the coast to Astoria. There are nice towns and places to stay and eat (with the exception of Lincoln City IMHO). Alternately, you could head into the Wine Country on 18 if that interests you. Niether is a bad choice, it depends what you want to see.

If you do head to Astoria, head north on 101 to Raymond or towards Aberdeen. You will be following along Willapa Bay, which is one of the oyster capitals of the world. The drive along 12 and 8 to Olympia is niceer than the interstate, but 6 is also a pretty drive to just south of Centralia. At that point, youare mostlyheading back to Seattle. Note that weekend traffic from Olympia to Seattle can be quite slow. And, driving in the mountains and along the coast is also slower than the interstate, so plan accordingly. Also, the drive to Crate Lake is a bit of a white knuckle drive, as the roads are narrow with no shoulder. Most traffic moves quite slowly, but if you are an issue with steep drop-offs, you have been warned. Also, it can be quite cold at Crater Lake, as you are up around 6000 feet, so bring some warm clothing for the evening and early morning. And note that weather there can be qutie tempermental. Snow leaves quite late in the season, and starts quite early as well. And fog is quite common. So common, that you might only get a limtied view of the lake.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thanks Ken. I've heard enough people rave about 138, that we're going that way for sure (I assume it's the Crater lake to Roseburg section mostly?). I heard some of the rim drive at CL (counterclockwise) is a tad scary with dropoffs and no guard rails. The scariest drive I ever did was the Tioga pass on the East side of Yosemite....Beautiful...but damn scary. Roads were wet and rainy too. I'm a confident driver, but the 2000' drops kept me on the edge of my seat and two hands on the wheel and low gear going down. Going back up was treacherous too. I've camped at 6000-8000 feet so I'm prepared for that.

Yes, I meant 38, not 58 on the way to the coast. Looks like we can hop on 5 for a bit and back on the 138 too. I think we're gonna try to stay at Agate beach for our last night...has a nice looking lighthouse peninsula right there. Then work our way up to seattle with stops on Sunday. Might just head 30 to 5N from Astoria...SE Wash drive doesn't look particularly exciting as I thought....Columbia river might be more scenic.

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I heard some of the rim drive at CL (counterclockwise) is a tad scary with dropoffs and no guard rails. The scariest drive I ever did was the Tioga pass on the East side of Yosemite....Beautiful...but damn scary. Roads were wet and rainy too. I'm a confident driver, but the 2000' drops kept me on the edge of my seat and two hands on the wheel and low gear going down. Going back up was treacherous too.
Us folks in the West consider the Tioga Pass Road as normal and routine, not scary. It's pretty tame, overall, by western standards (the truly scary roads are in the Colorado Rockies):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvGXFsf3v0

beeker

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I heard some of the rim drive at CL (counterclockwise) is a tad scary with dropoffs and no guard rails.

We entered Crater Lake NP from the south and drove counterclockwise. Don't remember it as being scary at all. Two lanes, paved - road in fairly good condition.
Of course road conditions can always change - especially with time of year. (We were there September last year in perfect weather)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thanks Ken. I've heard enough people rave about 138, that we're going that way for sure (I assume it's the Crater lake to Roseburg section mostly?). I heard some of the rim drive at CL (counterclockwise) is a tad scary with dropoffs and no guard rails. The scariest drive I ever did was the Tioga pass on the East side of Yosemite....Beautiful...but damn scary. Roads were wet and rainy too. I'm a confident driver, but the 2000' drops kept me on the edge of my seat and two hands on the wheel and low gear going down. Going back up was treacherous too. I've camped at 6000-8000 feet so I'm prepared for that.

Yes, I meant 38, not 58 on the way to the coast. Looks like we can hop on 5 for a bit and back on the 138 too. I think we're gonna try to stay at Agate beach for our last night...has a nice looking lighthouse peninsula right there. Then work our way up to seattle with stops on Sunday. Might just head 30 to 5N from Astoria...SE Wash drive doesn't look particularly exciting as I thought....Columbia river might be more scenic.

I think that you will find Crater Lake's drive similar. I kept two very sweaty hands on the wheel of my Vanagon, and we were ony driving about 25mph as traffic is quite slow moving.

We stay in Newport frequently, and I shoot the lighthouse from the unit that we rent on the beach. Sunsets are quite incredible, so I hope that you are able to take advantage of good weather one evening. When in Newport, I would highly recommend April's in Nye Beach for a nice dinner. We have been going there for almost 15 years, and have never had a bad meal. If you need a chowder fix, there is a god place in Nye Beach, and there is always Mo's.

I am not a huge fan of 30 west of I-5. It is OK, but I do not anything exceptional about it. 101 (or 401) to Raymond is a little better, and 6 is not a bad drive if you want to cut east to Chehalis. Otherwise 12 to 8 to Olympia is fine. Most folks who drive Portland to Seattle find I-5 a bit boring, but if there is no construction, it does move fast south of Centralia until Vancouver. It really is a question of time vs. scenic views.

Have a great trip, and say "Hi!" to Newport for me. It is one of our favorite places to relax for a few days, expecially after exploring eastern Oregon.

--Ken

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Us folks in the West consider the Tioga Pass Road as normal and routine, not scary. It's pretty tame, overall, by western standards (the truly scary roads are in the Colorado Rockies):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvGXFsf3v0

Well I live on the East coast. We have few, if any, roads like that. Keep in mind it was rainy, foggy and driving a rental car...so your mind starts thinking about what could go wrong. I've driven through Colorado, WY, UT, MT and Tioga still stands out to me. I also did Going to the sun Road in various conditions. One morning you couldn't see 10-15' in front of you because of fog.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
I think that you will find Crater Lake's drive similar. I kept two very sweaty hands on the wheel of my Vanagon, and we were ony driving about 25mph as traffic is quite slow moving.

We stay in Newport frequently, and I shoot the lighthouse from the unit that we rent on the beach. Sunsets are quite incredible, so I hope that you are able to take advantage of good weather one evening. When in Newport, I would highly recommend April's in Nye Beach for a nice dinner. We have been going there for almost 15 years, and have never had a bad meal. If you need a chowder fix, there is a god place in Nye Beach, and there is always Mo's.

I am not a huge fan of 30 west of I-5. It is OK, but I do not anything exceptional about it. 101 (or 401) to Raymond is a little better, and 6 is not a bad drive if you want to cut east to Chehalis. Otherwise 12 to 8 to Olympia is fine. Most folks who drive Portland to Seattle find I-5 a bit boring, but if there is no construction, it does move fast south of Centralia until Vancouver. It really is a question of time vs. scenic views.

Have a great trip, and say "Hi!" to Newport for me. It is one of our favorite places to relax for a few days, expecially after exploring eastern Oregon.

--Ken
I'll keep all that in mind...having trouble finding an availability in what I want hotel wise. Spent so much time on planning the other parts of the trip and busy with other stuff, I never got around to planning the coast visit in detail.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My 2c is this - even driving on I5 the scenery is beautiful for the most part. Take smaller roads and you will be in paradise in Oregon. I agree the road to Crater Lake is fine. Try Bear Tooth Highway in Montana/Wyoming. Now that is freaky! On your way to Bend do turn left in Terrebonne to see Smith Rock. I also love how the scenery changes from forresty to desert like as you get closer to Bend. Around Bend, there are TONS of world class photo ups to enjoy. 58 from Eugene gets very pretty as well. I would say that in Oregon, you can not have a bad time. This is a wonderful state.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
We entered Crater Lake NP from the south and drove counterclockwise. Don't remember it as being scary at all. Two lanes, paved - road in fairly good condition.
Of course road conditions can always change - especially with time of year. (We were there September last year in perfect weather)

We entered CL from the north, and our visit was in 2002, so they may have improved the road since then.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I'll keep all that in mind...having trouble finding an availability in what I want hotel wise. Spent so much time on planning the other parts of the trip and busy with other stuff, I never got around to planning the coast visit in detail.

What cities would you like to spend the night? I might be able to offer up a few suggestions.

--Ken

Baimei

Mu-43 Regular
We had a sasquatch sighting on the North Entrance Road to Crater Lake NP, one morning, early. Keep your camera handy and ready to go!

Rick

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Paul,

That's the northeast coast. This is a thread about the northwest coast. Don't you have any images of the Isle of Mull? :biggrin:

Beautiful image!

--Ken

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
My 2c is this - even driving on I5 the scenery is beautiful for the most part. Take smaller roads and you will be in paradise in Oregon. I agree the road to Crater Lake is fine. Try Bear Tooth Highway in Montana/Wyoming. Now that is freaky! On your way to Bend do turn left in Terrebonne to see Smith Rock. I also love how the scenery changes from forresty to desert like as you get closer to Bend. Around Bend, there are TONS of world class photo ups to enjoy. 58 from Eugene gets very pretty as well. I would say that in Oregon, you can not have a bad time. This is a wonderful state.
I loved the beartooth highway!....awesome amazing views. I found out about that one from someone on DPR.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
What cities would you like to spend the night? I might be able to offer up a few suggestions.

--Ken

Staying w/my Cuz in Seattle...and booked everything now. Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, Timberline lodge on mt hood, Crater lake lodge and Best western Agate beach in Newport (just booked it). Thanks for the offer...won't have time to see Portland sadly...but I'm sure we'll return again. I'd love to see some of these places in the winter...last night we'll stay at the Sea airport...830am flight. This is going to be awesome. I've wanted to see the NW for ages.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Staying w/my Cuz in Seattle...and booked everything now. Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, Timberline lodge on mt hood, Crater lake lodge and Best western Agate beach in Newport (just booked it). Thanks for the offer...won't have time to see Portland sadly...but I'm sure we'll return again. I'd love to see some of these places in the winter...last night we'll stay at the Sea airport...830am flight. This is going to be awesome. I've wanted to see the NW for ages.

I hope you have a great trip. I think your planning will pay off well. Let's hope the weather cooperates for you.

Enjoy!

--Ken

Real Name
Andrew L
Oregon is a huge state, with vast stretches between some of the landmark spots. I live in Bandon, which I do not recommend for it's beaches (the beaches further north up the Oregon coast are much prettier, plus everyone and their brother has the same pictures of Bandon). Personally if you make it to the southern coast I would steer you in the direction of the Rogue river further south near Gold Beach (just went on the jet boat up the Rogue yesterday - saw multiple bald eagle, as well as a black bear and cub, and some astoundingly beautiful wilderness), then down 101 further to Crescent City and the redwoods in northern Ca.
GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

Baimei

Mu-43 Regular
50orso:

We hadn't gotten breakfast yet. It was just after sunrise and we were driving to get breakfast. Also, no mind altering substances consumed the previous night!

hehe

Rick

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Oregon is a huge state, with vast stretches between some of the landmark spots. I live in Bandon, which I do not recommend for it's beaches (the beaches further north up the Oregon coast are much prettier, plus everyone and their brother has the same pictures of Bandon). Personally if you make it to the southern coast I would steer you in the direction of the Rogue river further south near Gold Beach (just went on the jet boat up the Rogue yesterday - saw multiple bald eagle, as well as a black bear and cub, and some astoundingly beautiful wilderness), then down 101 further to Crescent City and the redwoods in northern Ca.
GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

The southern portion of 101 is an awesome drive, although 101 north, and Bandon, are also quite an amazing drive. The only thing that rivals 101 is Oregons' amazing desert lands east of the Cascades. It is a great state to get lost within!

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom