1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Heading to France with the GX1! (Any Tips or Advice)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lumixy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi folks,

I am heading to France this Saturday for 2 weeks. The summer has not been great here and I am looking forward to catching some rays of sunshine in beautiful France :smile:

I will be there to visit some friends. I will be flying from Dublin to Paris and spending a bit of time around Gare de Lyon waiting on a train before heading south to the Region of Auvergne.

Auvergne-Position.

I will be traveling light with only hand luggage. I am bringing my Panasonic GX1 and 25mm f1.4 (no viewfinder). I have a Leica Summicron 40mm F2 and a Voigtlander adapter but it is currently taken apart as I started fitting an improved focus tab... I don't know will I have it ready on time :frown:

I can't afford to invest in other wider lenses. Knowing this I bought an Olloclip camera for my iPhone 4s. It is a lens attachment with "3 lenses in 1" (Fisheye, wide-angle & macro). More info below. It is sold on the Apple store. I am very happy with it and the value for money!
    Olloclip%2BiPhone%2BCamera%2BLens.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svFrBCFz5xE&feature=plcp]olloclip iPhone lens system how to video June 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Olloclip Quick-Connect Lens Solution for iPhone 4S/4 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Otherwise I will be traveling with my 13' Macbook Pro. This is the only computer I use and am a bit scarred of bringing it with in the event it gets lost or stolen. Although it is insured. I have a portable Freecom 500gb hard drive but haven't got the knowledge to make an identical backup of all my photos, software etc... It's looking like I will be leaving it here. There is about 210gb used and guess it would need a good bit of time to sort out.

For the GX1, I have a 3 Polaroid filter kit (that I have never really used..). It comprises of a Circular Polarizer, Fluorescent and a UV filters. I also have a second UV filter (Kenko) on the 25mm at all times. The weather is a different to here so I will be bringing it with me to try out.

41BHxli8w0L._SL500_AA300_.

Amazon.com: Polaroid Optics 46mm 3 Piece Filter Set (UV, CPL, FLD): Camera & Photo

Anyways, if people have any advice or tips feel free to comment. I am kinda stressed right now as I don't want to leave unprepared and it is not often I get to travel.

I have a few hours to spend around Gare de Lyon. If anyone has any ideas on what would be nice to do. Most of my time will be spent in the Auvergne Region so if there is anything nice to do or visit or festivals would be cool to know.

If there is anything people normally bring with them traveling that they find indispensable that are inexpensive that I could pick up from my local camera shop or elsewhere. Like filters maybe or a different camera strap (I have the original one). I have a few apps for the iPhone like Camera+, Photosynth, Instagram, PhotoStudio, Diptic... Any more app ideas would be great especially French ones or useful traveling apps! I just got Skype Wifi and bought credit!

I speak fluent french by the way. If French people wish to reply in French it would might be handy for them and I also need to practice my French :biggrin:

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I always use a polarizer when outdoors. I never use a "UV" filter. I'm not sure why you would need a "fluorescent" filter in the age of digital, just select the proper white balance.

If you are worried about the computer, and don't want to bring it for actual "computer stuff", there should be no need to bring it for the photography aspect - just get more SD cards (note: MORE not LARGER).

It doesn't sound lime this trip is for some unrepeatable special occasion. It wouldn't be a disaster if you lost the pictures, you would just simply go back next year. The GX1+25 will be limiting in many ways due to the single focal length, but that limitation is often good for the actual images themselves as it forces you to be a bit more creative.

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mate after going to Paris last year all I can say is grab a 14mm for $160 and you won't regret it. I had the 20mm and I found 80 percent of the time I was wanting something wider. That extra 6mm less doesn't sound like much but it sure does help.

And don't eat too many snails!:smile:

Edit: I just read that you're heading off this satuday. It might be a bit difficult to get a 14mm by then.