1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Head-Fi vs μ4/3

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Oopsydaisy74, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    This will be my first post of pics using my GH2 w/14-140. I'm definitely not used to it yet, but I thought I'd combine my 2 most expensive hobbies for these shots. I'll probably be adding more to this gallery as I take more shots of new and existing equipment. I haven't added exif stuff, but I can. All shots have been edited in Lightroom and right now I am a little obsessed with off-center vignetting using the adjustment brush, so... I know people love or hate vignetting. I know I need to work on my technique to get sharper images, but I'm just having fun right now. After all, isn't that what this whole thing is supposed to be about?:biggrin:

headfi_portable_rig.

headfi_old_portable_rig.

headfi_lcd-2.

headfi_home_rig.

headfi_first_desk_shot.

headfi_edition_8.

headfi_ed8_lcd-2_ipad_a5.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Are these handheld or are you using a tripod?

3. Oopsydaisy74

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    1, 4, 5, & 7 are tripod. The rest are handheld

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good start. I think the vignette isn't over done and adds to the look.

- Stick to using tripod (longish exposure ok since items are not moving). Use either a remote or timer to trip the shutter
    - Increase DOF a bit by stopping the lens down (smaller aperture).
    - Careful of dust
    - Careful of finger prints
    - These are very similar to "product" shots... make sure the logos and such are right sided up. They should be sharp as its natural for people's eyes to try wonder towards them.

4th looks good... hanging cables should be tucked away. The vignette on the right side wall is a tiny tad too much. 5th is almost there, except the finger print and the upside down logo.

5. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Beautiful photos for beautiful cans =D

I agree with the tips given by usayit.

How do you like those headphones? I have an Audiotechnica M50 and I swear by it. Best cans under $200, in my opinion, especially since it sounds great without an amp!

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I love #3....reminds me of when I used to LOVE listening to music...especially the immersive headphone experience.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    do a quick google search. He could buy 7 pairs of your Audiotechnica for what they cost. I think it's fair to assume they sound pretty damn good.

8. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Really cool shots. The vignetting is almost transparent. It fits the subject nicely, although the blurriness of the 2nd one bothers me.

Out of curiosity, what do you work on with that computer setup?

9. Oopsydaisy74

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    @usayit
    Thanks for the feedback. I know exactly which shots you're talking about with the dust, fingerprint and logo issues. I actually don't mind the dust as much on that one shot. Totally agree about the cables and overdone vignetting on that desk shot. I actually overdid the vignetting to hide a blemish on my wall that still shows through. I probably would be better off retouching. That's exactly what I meant about improving my technique to get more in focus images; stop down. Still learning exposure, aperture and such.

@jambaj0e
    I love these cans. The Ultrasones are actually my portable cans, while the LCD-2s are my home ones. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, mostly strengths.:biggrin:

@Luke
    Thank you. I took this shot as soon as I opened them at work. Nothing like a new piece of gear!

@~tc~
    They both are very expensive, but I work hard for my money, so I don't mind spending on the things that make my daily routine more enjoyable. BTW, I started with AKG K702s, but quickly moved on when I stepped into the world of amplification. I actually had the M50s on my list of portable options. Lots of people swear by them on head-fi.org. Did tons of research before plunking down my cash, so definitely didn't go for the most expensive cans I could find hoping their sound would justify my purchase:wink:

@s0nus
    Thanks. I actually faked the vignetting using the adjustment brush in Lightroom to bring the entire image down by 4EV, then went back with the erase brush to reveal what I wanted. The reason for doing this was I wanted to have an effect that wasn't necessarily dead-center and not always round/elliptical in shape. Yeah, the second one was my first handheld shot with this combo- no excuse. I'm actually a mac tech by day, but I am an artist by night. Day job pays the rent, art is for me:smile:

10. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    never ever buy the Beats studio by dr. dre... i've had four of 'em (used mostly for fun and my sister used it for her podcast), it SUCKS. not worth it

• Like Like x 1
  11. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Exactly! Beats are over-rated and over-marketed. Not clean at all.

And it's true, you can definitely buy 6-7 M50s for your cans, lol. I'd spend money on more expensive cans if my money's not tied up buying camera gear =D

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Very nice combo of your two hobbies, and very nice product shots for someone with new gear!

Cheers, Alan

13. Oopsydaisy74

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    Thanks

14. rapsquared

rapsquared Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    My new cans

5712807558_20a97ab3a7_z_d.