1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

HDR with EP2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobBill, Aug 30, 2012.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Am backing into this genre and wonder if any fellow Pen users or even GX1 users have had success with HDR and would not mind sharing advice with this old snapper? HDR "search" was fruitless.

2. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I'm a total beginner at HDR, but I've had some success with test shots using picturenaut.

Picturenaut Overview

Peter

3. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Peter, thanks for reply.

Now I learned something...thought most of the play was in camera...I use ancient but workable P-shop and DxO Filmpack, on rare occasions and seldom crop, but never thought to employ that way.

4. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    So, you take three or whatever pics, under, mid, over? Using spread to gain hue intensity etc? Or, do you edit later...?

5. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Right, you bracket exposures, then feed the image files into picturenaut. The program aligns the shots, and does the HDR processing. It comes with default settings that work reasonably well, at least for a beginner like me.

You do need to read the instructions though!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Picturenaut is interesting...advantage over the standard Pshop? I know it is free, but does it really make HDR that easy? I was going to use DxO and combine the shots? Or same with the Adobe thingy.

7. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I use the 5 picture bracketing option with 1 EV. Bracket using a change in shutter speed (AE bracketing in bracketing menu, sequential shooting under shooting type menu, and using aperture priority on dial). If you hold down the shutter it will take 5 pictures at 0, -2, -1, +1, +2 and then stop.

I then import into Lightroom and then export to either Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 or Photomatrix. Exporting switches to these programs and then automatically returns the picture to Lightroom. Both are very easy to use. Just click on the style you want or use the more advanced options.

One important thing to do though is keep the camera very steady, or better, use a steady support for the camera or a tripod. If the pictures are not close to the same it will be hard or impossible for these programs to align them.

8. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Enfuse, no export from Lightroom!

Same as this but I use Enfuse for Lightroom. It is a Lightroom plugin so doesn't require the use of any other product. It is best at blending and gives the photo a very natural look. So if you want that 'edgy' HDR this isn't the product. But if you are attempting to make a better picture from a blend, it's a great product and VERY simple to use (like 3 or 4 clicks). You can download it for free and it costs $15.00!

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    I'm on the road right now with my EPL1 and E30 and have been taking largely HDR photos, using the 5 bracket 1-stop system, but also 3 bracket 1 stop on the EPL1. I use the software from Oloneo, a French company, that works extremely well. I shoot both raw and jpg and usually bump top and bottom exposures and add those to the mix. Works extremely well. Http://www.oloneo.com

Usually disclaimer, no connection with them, just a satisfied customer. :)

10. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    No "in-camera" stuff. Okay, I am getting it. Very very informative, and I thank you all for taking the time to help this boyo.

11. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    You can blend RAW files in camera and adjust their relative brightness. It works but I haven't used it for a final result yet.

12. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Thanks. I see the GX-1 will do HDR in camera, but with these other programs or apps as people call them, seems the added expense might not be justified. I get into this HDR stuff, I likely will really get involved. Looking for something to make up for my old dark room fooling with Tri-X based prints...but it pains me that it is all electronic, you get my drift.

13. JenPhoto

JenPhoto New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2012
    DC
    Jenny
    I'm just getting started with HDR too. The programs I'm looking at seem to have demo and trial downloads available. You may want to try them to see if they are worth buying.

Jenny

14. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    One tip is to make sure the shadows are well exposed and the highlights just so they're not clipped...5 x 1 ev usually covers the range although if its really dynamic then go for 7 x 1 ev. I usually pre-process the raw files for CA and the noise in the under to normal files then export to Photomatix. After the software has done its 'stuff' and I've fine-tuned it, I save and open in Lightroom to post-process ie just to check for clipping etc. BTW I have a GX1 and I'm pretty sure theres no in -camera HDR
    JohnyT

15. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Thank-you Jenphot and Johnytuono. Helping get there and decide software issue.

I got the idea the GX1 did in camera from a review. Was thinking of buying one to compare to Pen EP-2 but seems unnecessary extravagance.

Jen. I used to live in DC before subway, and we had to ford Rock Creek on way through park, and one could pretty much walk anywhere-alone and at night even. Loved it then.

16. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    I use my PEN E-PM1 almost exclusively for HDR. I generally take 7 shots (.7ev) from -2.1 to +2.1 ev. For post processing I use Oloneo HDRengine. You can get a trial version ( Oloneo - HDR Software ) to see how you like it. I really like Oloneo's ability to remove ghosts from the combined image as well as its automatic alignment. I usually shoot from a monopod or handheld and have yet to have a shot that Oloneo can't align. I finish my postprocessing with Corel PaintShop Pro X4 with NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0.

17. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I shoot about 95% of my work as HDRs. I use both my E-P1 and my E-PL2, although I think the E-P1 is better. I always shoot in manual mode and on a tripod.

I use Photomatix pro for the HDr processing, and finish it up in Lightroom 4.

You can see examples on my Smugmug page.

18. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Other posters have given information that I generally agree with. If you'd like to study up on it some, here are two of the websites I've learned from:

Secrets to Mastering HDR Photography, HDRI & High Dynamic Range.
    Before The Coffee » Photography

The second one has some good tutorials.

HDR is fun. It enabled me to do some "magic" with a hacked Canon Powershot A530 (FIVE megapixels).

19. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Mike, Thanks again. I am about half way through the two links...good stuff and has me looking at more questions, but will wait until I get feet wet.