HDR Which software ;;;

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PantelisMor, Mar 27, 2013.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello... I have the om-d.. I want to create HDR photos. I would like to know which software is good for this job ;; could be done with LR ;;

Thx a lot...
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have Photomatix and HDR Effex pro from Nik. Both are good and they each seem to have their own strengths, but lately I prefer HDR Effex pro because I seem to get cleaner images. Im may be doing something wrong, but my Photomatix images can be noisy. On top of that, using the discount code to get the Nik collection gets you the bonus of a whole suite of some of the best programs around for about the same price as Photomatix. The new Nik pricing is going to really hurt other software developers.
  3. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    I've only used the Nik HDR plug-in, and enjoy it a lot. Agree with GFF that Google's recent stunning price drop doesn't hurt.
  4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    I use Photoshop to combine exposures into a 32-bit TIFF file and then process that in Lightroom. It's the most natural looking HDR method I've found yet.

I think you can do the same with Photomatix Pro but I haven't tried it.
  5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Photomatix now has an inexpensive merge to 32-bit HDR plug in for LR. $30 I think. Then use the LR shadow/highlights controls and so forth on that 32-bit file (recent versions of LR support HDR files).
  6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I believe that only works after you buy the $100 program, I don't think it's available as a stand alone.

Edit: I just looked at the Photomatix site, maybe I'm wrong.
  8. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    try sns-hdr. The free version is command lien driven, though there is a free GUI available. Its produces great natural HDRs

The lite version is free.
  9. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot for your proposals. My question is the HDR effex pro a plugin for the lighteoom ; or a seperate software... ;;;
    I think i wiil try both of these..
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not sure if you are asking if you are able to use it as a stand alone program because you don't have Lightroom, or if you are asking if you can integrate it into your copy of Lightroom, so I'll answer both.

I have read that HDR effex pro can be used as a stand alone by dragging photos to the program icon, but I haven't tried it. Photomatix is definitely useable as a stand alone program.

I use it through Lightroom. In Lightroom (or Aperture), they are accessed by selecting the bracketed photos in Lightroom you want to make an HDR from and choosing "export to" by either right clicking or using the pull down menu. It will export the Photos to the software which will merge them into an HDR exposure, and once you finish editing with the HDR software it is re-imported into Lightroom as a TIF file for further editing if you choose to.

Since HDR merges multiple files, it is not a non-destructive plug in/brush, even in Photoshop, but both HDR programs can be used with full Lightroom integration.

Just a suggestion, if you are buying the full Nik collection it would be a good idea to get either Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop Elements if you don't already have one of them. Since all of the programs integrate with those, it makes the workflow much easier.
  11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    A word of caution: I think I read somewhere that HDR Efex Pro does NOT work with Photoshop Elements. (All the other Nik Filters do, however.)
  12. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I have Lightroom and i want to integrate.. I will use both of them and i will reply for my impressions.. I will search for video tutorial in youtube..

Thx alot.....
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Heres one to get you started

There is also a link on that page for some nice presets for free.
  14. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot... I will see the video and i will be back for my impressions....
  15. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I try HDR Efex Pro 2. My first impressions are very good... I attach
    my first HDR Photo.

After you save the photo are you doing anything else ??
    As i see on the Photo there is a lot of noise can i do anything for this ??

Thx a lot....

Attached Files:

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Nice photo! for noise, use Dfine from Nik or noise reduction in Lightroom.
  17. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Very nice photo, how many shots did you use?
  18. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I have Dfine. I try but i don't see any change to my photo ??

I use 7 Shots ?? I don't khow if i have to use less ?? I am searching. It's my first time i try to create HDR images..

Any advise will be good
  19. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Watch this videos they are very good in explaining the HDR Effex 2 control slides and modes.

If you invest about an hour watching NIK videos you will become an expert.
    Here is a link to all basic videos

20. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot for your help. I saw the video. Its help me a lot... I rhink HDR effex 2 is very good software and easy...

Also dfine it's a good solution for noise Reduction. But i don't khow if it's the best ;;