1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HDR Mode is almost perfect

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ToxMox, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    So I like bracketing. The HDR mode on the E-M5 Mark II is almost perfect except for the life of me I don't know why they don't have an optional setting to have a 2 second self timer before the first bracket. I could stop bringing my remote with me if this one little thing were added.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    I don't know much about this camera accept the fact it is brand spanking new. I assume such a new camera has Wi-fi connectivity and app/software on your phone to control it -- and I assume one of the most basic function of that app is to take a shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    You are correct but I don't want to take my phone out usually when I'm shooting. I find it cumbersome; especially with gloves on. I just want it to be me and the camera :)

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    On my E-M10 I set one of the directional arrows to pull up the timer modes. Can you not do this on the E-M5 ii?

5. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    AFAIK the timer modes are disabled in HDR mode. You can set a 2 second delay in HDR mode on the E-M10? I know you can in Bracketing mode but in HDR mode it is disabled.

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Truthfully, I have never used HDR, yet. I just thought it would be odd to remove a timer mode when using other camera features. Especially HDR. Being able to set the 2 second timer would be very valuable when taking HDR.

7. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    Very valuable indeed! :) My hope is that eventually someone from Olympus sees these requests and gets the simple feature added for a firmware update.

8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I had the same complaint with my GX7, seems like such an obvious need I can't believe neither Panasonic nor Olympus thought to include this capability. Does any camera model offer this?

9. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    IIIRC my old Sony NEX could have a timer before shooting an HDR shot.

How do we ask Olympus for this?

10. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    I have the same problem with my e-p5. So far, I can only use this with the wifi app.

11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I don't shoot HDR, but am intrigued. Curious why would I need a delay?

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Olympus designers have always been positively retarded when it comes to bracketing ... we should count our blessings that it's now possible to activate a bracketing mode with function key instead of having to dig into the menus.

13. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    I shoot my brackets for HDR on a tripod. The initial press of the shutter button induces a little camera shake. I would like to be able to press the shutter button, wait 2 seconds, then watch it take all the brackets with no shake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Ok that makes perfect sense! Sorry I must have a case of the "Mondays" to not pick that up as I use that often on other shots, but not HDR. I got my Em5MkII last week and haven't put it down! Really loving that camera.
    I came from a Panny G3 and it's a huge leap for me. Most said the menu system was cumbersome, but I found after about 5-10 minutes it is set up really well (once you set up your shortcuts and what not).

Although I would be curious what the EM1MKII will offer over this? I was really waiting out for that, but the EM5MKII is great! I can always sell this if need be if there is a big difference; Olympus cameras hold their value well.

Thank you for the reply.

15. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I agree about the menus. They are not bad at all. I have seen worse.

16. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I have the same issue with the E-PL7. Remote function on the smartphone does not work either, because the phone app does not allow you to select HDR mode (at least not on my phone).
    I also don't get why the hell you cannot select a 2 sec timer - I assume that could be easily fixed software-wise with a firmware update.

My workaround: using a tripod, I manually 'de-focus' so everything is unsharp, then touch the screen to take the photo. I found touching the screen induces less shake than pressing the shutter button, plus the camera does take a little time to focus again, so by the time it fires, the camera should be still.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I use the Remote Shutter mode rather than Live View mode in the smartphone app to trigger the shutter remotely (having first set up HDR on the camera itself).

I agree with everyone else that it would be useful to be able to combine HDR with the self timer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ribble

Ribble New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2015
    It is the same on the EM-1. The HDR mode works very well handheld (assuming of course that you have a sufficiently high shutter speed) and thus on those occasions it does not need a delay.

However, if you are using a slow shutter speed for HDR you are almost certainly using a tripod. If you are doing that then it is not really much effort to use the bracketing function and set a self timer delay. Or indeed use your phone as a trigger fro the HDR mode as per alan1972's suggestion.

The other thing you could consider is setting up an "HDR tripod" myset and assign it to one of the positions on the mode dial. You could for instance set a low ISO, custom self timer and exposure bracketing. Then all you need to do is set up you tripod, put your camera on it, dial in the myset and hit the shutter release. For hand holding just use the HDR function.

19. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    This is a decent workaround but still cumbersome. In bracketing mode you need to press the shutter for each bracket. HDR mode takes all the brackets for you after one press.

I personally just use a remote release to trigger the first bracket but would prefer to have one less item in my bag.

We all have our little workarounds for a feature that could easily just be added to the firmware :)

I'm going to make a post on G+ and mention Olympus in the post and point them to this thread. Who knows, maybe the right person will see it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    You only need to press the shutter once if you set up the custom timer with the same number of frames as the bracket. E.g. if you set up a 5-frame bracket you could set the custom timer to take 5 frames at 0.5 second intervals with a 2 second delay - it will then do the full bracket with one shutter press. It is a little fiddly if you have to keep repeating it but as Ribble said you could set it up as a Myset if you were going to do it frequently. This also allows you to use the zero-second anti-shock setting which (at least on the EM10) is disabled in HDR mode.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1