1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HDR - ISO Best MFT camera for HDR shooting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by morganb, Sep 20, 2011.

1. morganb

morganb New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    new to this forum and looking forward to spending some time here.

i am in the market for a MFT camera and i am wondering if anyone can recommend one that is great for HDR.

i guess i want one that has +-1 and +-2 EV steps for auto bracketing.
    i like to take a lot of sunset photos so low noise in darker photos is important.
    RAW
    easy to use too
    i am open to any brand.
    lens recommendations too if possible.

any recommendations out there?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I can only tell you about the E-P3 and E-PL3 (but assume E-PM1 would be the same):

> 2, 3, 5 or 7 frames bracketed
    > 0.3, 0.7, and 1.0EV for all except 7 frames which does not have the 1.0EV option

3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Morganb

I have a GF1 and have used it for a good deal of HDR and pseudoRaw and have gotten really good results. But … yes the BUT if I am really concerned with the absolute best results I switch to my dSLR as i can deliver 14 bit results. The problem seems to be with the frames I "under expose." They tend to be noise coming from the µ43 and less so coming from the dSLR. This is not to say that the GF1 is bad at HDR it is just not as good as my dSLR.

While the µ43 are wonderful cameras if highest quality HDR was your only concern I would consider broaden your horizons.

4. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Panasonic offer the best steps in auto bracket

The Olympus pens don't offer enough variance in EV steps.

I have tried to work with -1 to -2 but there isn't enough to work with. My DMC-G1 gives 7 x shots -2 to +2 in steps which works well in Photomatix.

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't think there's any that'll do 2EV stops; the best you'll get is 5 @ 1EV, so two stops either side of correct exposure.

You can, of course, set it to 5 stops at 1EV, then set your exposure compensation to -2 and take your five frames, then set it to +2 and take 5 frames (assuming you're using a tripod, of course). This will give you a ten stop bracket with a duplicate of the 0EV exposure...

What the serious HDR-ist really wants is a Sony A65 - 5 frames at 3EV in 0.5 seconds! Who needs a stinkin' tripod? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Yes Panasonic G Cameras

Yes the Panasonic G Series do -2 EV to + 2 EV.

The G3 is even better;
    The Auto Bracket function records several photos at varied exposure levels in a compensation range of ±EV 3/4 in 1/3 EV or 2/3 EV steps. The DMC-G3 will record up to 7 images with a single press of the shutter button.

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Why have you chosen to do HDR low light photography would a MFT camera I guess is the question???

Larger sensor cameras would have an obvious advantage in what you are trying to accomplish.

Does interchangable lens make a difference for you?
    Do you plan on using native lens or are you looking to use non u43 lens?

m43s cameras are not known for clean high iso. Its the compromise the systems makes for getting smaller sized bodies, with interchangeable lens that are not large in size and very much compact. Hence the NEX vs. M43 debate.

Curious why you have chosen the m43 system for this highly specific photography approach. Based just solely on your initial post, I would probably suggest you consider another system but if you want to stay with m43s, then go with a Panasonic m43s with the newest generation sensor.. leaving you with:

Panasonic G3

8. morganb

morganb New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    HDR - u43

HDR - u43

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The G2 only does 1/3 or 2/3 steps in 3, 5 or 7 shot sequences. So ±2EV max without extra messing around with manually altering the exposure.

Fred

10. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Does size play a part in your decision at all? If you don't mind carrying a dSLR, then definitely go in that direction. I'm personally bias towards APC sized sensor from Canon in that regard. Depends on how much you are willing to spend if you are ok buying a used camera (just look at how many pictures have been taken).

If you not up for dSLR. Then based on what you have posted, I would suggest a G3 u43 Panasonic.

That being said, NEX-7 looks pretty good and will have much better ISO performance then the G3 but the glass isn't as good. Even the NEX-3/5 (depending if you want high def video) would out resolve the G3. That being said, you have to be ok with the user interface and also the look of it.

Otherwise, you should consider the G3. With respect to lens; depends a lot on whether you need a wide angle (less the 20mm) or normal (20-35mm) or telephoto 40mm+ in what you are shooting. You need a fast lens for what you are trying to do so look at lens that have f2.8 or faster at the focal length you intend on shooting most so that you can keep the ISO down to keep the images as clean as possible. The ones that really comes to mind are the 12mm, 20mm, 25mm, 45mm primes. However, 2 of those are olympus and don`t feature any stablization on the Pana G3.

Image stacking for reducing noise via average also help a lot at reducing the affect of noise as well .. outside of just the -2, 0, +2 HDR type bracketing. Coupling Image Stacking & Exposure Bracketing make for some very clean and highly resolved images for stationary scenes such as buildings, landscapes etc.

If it were me.. I would sacrifice a wee bit on ISO performance and get either:

EP3 + 12mm prime

or

G3 + 25mm prime

or

NEX7 (when it comes out)

or

Canon 60d

11. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    There is always the Fugi X100 too if you are up for a fixed lens camera.

12. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I think the OP meant 2EV steps..... 7 x 2/3EV = 5 stop bracket, just the same as 5 stops at 1EV, which is what my E-PL2 does.... I don't think any m43 body does more than a 5 stop bracket.....

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Panasonic 20mm and 25mm lenses are also not stabilized. The only native prime lens with stabilization is the Panny 45mm macro.

Fred

14. morganb

morganb New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    I'd love to own that X100. but at $1000 i'd rather have a body i could put a fixed lens on than just that one option.

15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have seen some great m4/3 HDR images, ranging from subtle to artistic, here on the forum. I am sure that you can do better with a DSLR, but if you want smaller and multi-purpose, I think m4/3 will work. Also, as others suggested Nex would be a good option, if you are okay with the lenses available in November.

16. Dawindyk

Dawindyk New to Mu-43

Sep 11, 2011
    G3 has up to 7 shots with 1EV steps ( so +\- 3 EV)

17. mobelby

mobelby Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the info.
    That's all I need. I bought the EP3 as my all round intro into m43 including using the odd HDR. I also plan on using autobracketing to help in some low light situations.

If I ever get that serious on HDR I'll move to an SLR or the expert version of a m43 camera that Pana or Oly may release in the next few years

PS. Can you guys recommend a small tripod for only occasional use. (I'll get a $5 ebay usb remote release button too). I hear mixed reviews on the joby but I need something that's light and easy to use

18. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Touche.. oops.

19. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    This is the one I keep attached to my EP2 24/7 . Manfrotte mini tripod (pocketripod)

manfrotto_pocketripod.