1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HDR Bracketing on my GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by NikonD300, Apr 6, 2016.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    I love my new GX8. I own or have owned the GF1, GH2, GX1 and GX7. One continuing issue...

I don't take lots of HDR photos, but when I do I like to take 3 images bracketed +/- 2 EV. Alas, Panasonic cameras only allow me +/- 1 EV. The only option is to take 5 (!) images and get +2, +1, 0, -1, -2. and then eliminate the +1 and -1. This is so silly.

I kept hoping Panasonic would update their firmware, but they clearly do not listen to their users! Very frustrating.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

As a long time HDR shooter I know what you are talking about, but I'd rather have more images than less. I find that I seldom need anything beyond +1. Here's what I do. I set the exposure bias to -1EV, so the camera underexposes every shot by 1EV. Next I take 5 shots. The end result is that all 5 shots are decreased by 1EV and I end up with -3,-2,-1, 0 and +1. You can set the exposure bias to a positive value and skew the exposures in the opposite direction.

3. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    That's funny because with my Oly E-M10, the automatic HDR bracketing only does +-2 stops, but I prefer 1-stop, so I had to make my own HDR bracket setup using the standard bracketing function, plus a custom self-timer to automate as many shots as I set the bracket to. For example, I do a 5-shot shot, with +-1 between each shot.

So, it sounds like I need your Panasonic camera (where the HDR function does 1-step shots) and you need mine (where the HDR does 2-step shots). Different strokes for different folks!

Perhaps you could build a custom HDR bracket like I have done with my E-M10, but you would use a custom self-timer and a 3-step bracket of +-2.