HDR Bracketing on my GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by NikonD300, Apr 6, 2016.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    I love my new GX8. I own or have owned the GF1, GH2, GX1 and GX7. One continuing issue...

I don't take lots of HDR photos, but when I do I like to take 3 images bracketed +/- 2 EV. Alas, Panasonic cameras only allow me +/- 1 EV. The only option is to take 5 (!) images and get +2, +1, 0, -1, -2. and then eliminate the +1 and -1. This is so silly.

I kept hoping Panasonic would update their firmware, but they clearly do not listen to their users! Very frustrating.

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

As a long time HDR shooter I know what you are talking about, but I'd rather have more images than less. I find that I seldom need anything beyond +1. Here's what I do. I set the exposure bias to -1EV, so the camera underexposes every shot by 1EV. Next I take 5 shots. The end result is that all 5 shots are decreased by 1EV and I end up with -3,-2,-1, 0 and +1. You can set the exposure bias to a positive value and skew the exposures in the opposite direction.

3. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    That's funny because with my Oly E-M10, the automatic HDR bracketing only does +-2 stops, but I prefer 1-stop, so I had to make my own HDR bracket setup using the standard bracketing function, plus a custom self-timer to automate as many shots as I set the bracket to. For example, I do a 5-shot shot, with +-1 between each shot.

So, it sounds like I need your Panasonic camera (where the HDR function does 1-step shots) and you need mine (where the HDR does 2-step shots). Different strokes for different folks!

Perhaps you could build a custom HDR bracket like I have done with my E-M10, but you would use a custom self-timer and a 3-step bracket of +-2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.