1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HDR Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Wasabi Bob, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Today is my 1st day on this site. I must say, I like it! Been looking and I'm not seeing any discussions on HDR photography. Is it banned or hasn't anyone discovered it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Go right ahead and start something! There have been some discussions, just not recently.

I have done some work using HDR, but being new to it I have to be careful not to overdo it.

This was the first HDR image I created:

1060781871_y7WpH-L-1.

• Like Like x 3
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have Photomatix 4 but haven't used it since switching to :43: cameras.

5. Wasabi Bob

Tribute in Light 2010

Most of my recent work has been with HDR. I prefer to strive for a more natural look, though some do approach the typical "grunge" look. Hopefull we can create some HDR activity here. Most of my work is now being shot on either the DMC-G2 or DMC-GH2.

This shot was taken from New Jersey, looking across the Hudson River at the Tribute in Light even held every 9/11. The beams of light are located where the World Trade Center once stood. The streak in the sky was a plane departing LaGuardia airport. Other photos of this even are on my Flickr page.

TIL2010.

• Like Like x 8
  6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Single shot with Topaz Adjust 4 plugin for LR3

HDFRlane.

• Like Like x 3
  7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Tis the season... From the Museum of Science and Industry lasts year.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/4233179085/" title="Christmas Around the World at the Museum of Science and Industry by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"640" height="479" alt="Christmas Around the World at the Museum of Science and Industry" /></a>

And this is from this fall..

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5061404282/" title="P1190413_8_9_hdr.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"640" height="616" alt="P1190413_8_9_hdr.jpg" /></a>

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wasabi Bob

Since HDR does not seem to be so popular here, purely for explanation and NOT intended as criticism, tone mapping an image requires at least three shots. The intent is that each shot, which is bracketed, captures some detail that the others could not. The three (or more) are combined by tone mapping the image. I have Topaz, and it can produce HDR like images, but you can't extract details from very dark areas that never had the detail to begin. Nor, in very bright areas can you reclaim detail that was washed out. Nice photo, none the less!

• Like Like x 2
  9. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Thanks for the comment, I agree that I shouldn't really have called this HDR for the reasons you mentioned, however this picture was an experiment with the plugin that seemed to produce interesting results. I must have a another go with multiple shots when the weather permits.

I'd be interested in hearing how others manage to get the correct bracketed shots with the Panasonic m43 systems.

10. Wasabi Bob

HDR Tutorial

Micro Four-Third cameras really aren't any different than traditional D-SLR cameras or even the advanced pont and shoot cameras. The "trick" is knowing how many shots you need to capture the full dynamic range.

I created an explanation on my blog of how I do it using the features that the Lumix G cameras offer.

2. HDR Photography « The Bergen Photo Blog

I hope this will be helpful to anyone who is interested in learning more about HDR.

• Like Like x 4
  11. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
  12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My go at HDR.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/5209806017/" title="HDR by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="HDR" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  13. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    How are you all doing HDR wih the GF1? The built-in function doesn't have that wide of a range for the optimum results, unless you use the 7-shot mode. Or are you adjusting the settings manually between photos?

14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

yeah qball what I did was use the 7 shot mode and then just kept the -3,0 and +3 shots and then ran them through Photomatix and then fiddled with the tonemap. To get the -3,0 and +3 you just look at the metadata to find which ones they are.

15. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Thanks!!!!

16. Wasabi Bob

+ / - 2 is usually more than enough. At +3, unless you are indoors, most of the detail is burned out. Also, use the RAW format as the available dynamic range in these files is more than JPG. Noise will also be better.

17. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm a big fan of HDR processing. Here are some examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. joanne

joanne Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2010
    cumbria uk
    I have never tried this myself as I found some examples too much and just not my cup of tea, but after seeing your pictures and how 'natural' they look I am going to give it a go. Some lovely pictures there :)

19. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I generally don't mind HDR effects, even the heavy duty ones. For me, it mostly comes down to things like the subject matter, composition and mood the image captures.

I tend to use HDR processing in subtle ways to bring out detail and balance the light from the dark and light parts of a photo. The first picture of the trees is a good example where the foreground was relatively bright while the background was quite dark. I find it takes me a lot of time to tweak the images to get them to where I like the result. It's part of the fun I guess :thumbup:

20. Wasabi Bob

Christmas House - Saddlebrook, NJ

Took this shot this evening. The owners of this home in my neighboorhood decorate it for just about every holiday. Check out my Flickr page where you can see it at Halloween and Valentine's Day

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Christmass House Saddlebrook, NJ" /></a>[img/]

Taken with Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 / 14mm lens
    5 RAW shots processed with Photomatix 4.0 and contrast adjustments using Nik's Viveza 2.

• Like Like x 1