HDR and Aperture 3. Have you tried it?

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I was investigating HDR plugins for Aperture 3.

I note Hydra & Photomatix.

It's time to ask.

Have you tried these or others of the HDR plugins?

Do you like and use the one you installed?

Thanks in advance, alan

walt_tbay

Mu-43 Veteran
I use the Photomatix Pro plugin with LR3. It works like a charm. Here are a few examples.

Trees1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Forest_at_Boulevard_lake-21.jpg

Notre_Dame_Montreal1.jpg

Parliament_Hill-21.jpg

Split_Rock_Lighthouse.jpg

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
I have Photomatix and Nik's HDR Efex Pro. I prefer Nik's program which most find a little easier to use when starting out. It is a roundtrip process in A3, as I am sure you are aware. Nik offers a trial and their online help and seminars are very good. I am by no means anything but a beginner and Nik offers numerous pre-sets which helps simplify the process, at least for me.

shoturtle

I have used hydra and photomatix, between the 2 photomatix is better with aperture 3. I have not tried nik's.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I use the Photomatix Pro plugin with LR3. It works like a charm. Here are a few examples.

Hi Walt,

Thanks, those are terrific. I especially like the lighthouse shot it has a really nice vibe.

Looks like Photomatix is the early leader here on the board, but we have a very small sample size so far.

Share a few more of your favorites if you would.

Alan

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I have Photomatix and Nik's HDR Efex Pro. I prefer Nik's program which most find a little easier to use when starting out. It is a roundtrip process in A3, as I am sure you are aware. Nik offers a trial and their online help and seminars are very good. I am by no means anything but a beginner and Nik offers numerous pre-sets which helps simplify the process, at least for me.

Hi John,

I didn't notice Nik's HDR Efex. I did see another but thought I'd narrowed it down to the two primary players. I'll go take a look at Nik's.

Do you have an example or two you're willing to share?

Alan

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I have used hydra and photomatix, between the 2 photomatix is better with aperture 3. I have not tried nik's.

Hello,

Yes, Hydra was the third player that pops in in searches. They're also on the Apple software download list,, yes?

Any chance you'd post a sample image?

Thanks, Alan

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
The presets on HDR Efex Pro are interesting, but unless you've got a very fast processor and RAM to burn, it's quite a slow program to execute. I've got Photomatix as well and whilst the interface isn't quite as pleasing in comparison, where it scores heavily for me is with the alignment of images. As you may know, with a G1 it's necessary to take seven exposures to achieve -2 to +2EV and the camera isn't particularly snappy with that at the best of times. However, Photomatix invariably lines up three shots accurately even when I've held the camera in my hands, which is most of the time incidentally.

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I laugh every time I see HDR because I think of what Kevin Paris says about it. You make me smile Kevin;-)

I tried the nik HDR effex (Aperture Plugin) the other day and it is pretty easy to use. Really easy actually, for a beginner. Whack your pics into it and let it churn and then you can select one of it's presets and save.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
The presets on HDR Efex Pro are interesting, but unless you've got a very fast processor and RAM to burn, it's quite a slow program to execute. I've got Photomatix as well and whilst the interface isn't quite as pleasing in comparison, where it scores heavily for me is with the alignment of images. As you may know, with a G1 it's necessary to take seven exposures to achieve -2 to +2EV and the camera isn't particularly snappy with that at the best of times. However, Photomatix invariably lines up three shots accurately even when I've held the camera in my hands, which is most of the time incidentally.

Hello Michael,

That's a pretty strong point in Photomatix's corner. Good consult. Thanks.
Alan

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Wait till he see this thread. If he comments, it'll be something that will make you laugh. He's not really partial to HDR. haha.

I can see why HDR would get under some folk skin. It did get my interest though, hence this thread.

I started to get very curious in regard to how many folks were dabbling around with it, why, and with which applications. Is it In many ways on the same level as the "stitched together panoramas"?

Not that I dislike the panoramic shots, they have a history in photography, just wondering if HDR is a newer version of that genre in the roughest terms..

Some pros have been using layers in PS, CS for years to achieve a semblance of what we see now as HDR. My curiosity is getting the best of me..

I hope Kevin sees the thread and lets fly.......

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I downloaded a trial version of Hydra several months ago. I'm not generally a fan of HDR so, not surprisingly, I didn't find it worth the purchase price. Which, IIRC, wasn't terribly high. It worked - I got some vaguely HDR-ey looking shots going for the handheld approach they say it can do. It sort of did. I din't find much benefit, but I wasn't looking very hard either, I admit. I do have Topaz Adjust which once in a very blue moon I'll use for some of that fake-HDR cartoony look. But a little bit of that goes a VERY long way, so I use it very rarely.

-Ray

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Ray,

Some interesting opinions being shared here early in the string. I am beginning to develop an opinion of HDR, though not fully formed at this time, it may be a running along the course of thought you've assumed.

It can look somewhat "cartoony" to borrow your phrase, then again, I'll see a well done HDR shot and be impressed with both the photograph and the results.

I think the future may be trying to contact us through HDR, it's an infant with a long way to go. There is something there though when you view an HDR image that's been properly done.

I don't believe it will creep into portraiture any time soon, or street work either. But, the occasional landscape or architectural shot catches my eye and gives me reason for closer examination.

Good or bad, it is interesting as an emerging genre.

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
In my opinion. Nik's is prettier and has better tools for selecting specific areas, I own Photomatix its UI is not great but its powerful.

HDR Tutorial | High Dynamic Range Tutorial is worth going thru

Both have demos, try em.

I think a good HRD/ToneMapping image no one will even notice, unless one is trying to be artsy.

BK

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for tip Brian. When I started the thread I had no idea that HDR was so, controversial? Is that too strong a word? I was just curious ...

Thanks again.

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
Alan,

I came across this pretty even-handed comparison of HDR Efex Pro vs. Photomatix for whatever it is worth...

HDR Efex Pro vs. Photomatix Pro | Luminescence of Nature

Thanks for the link. For someone new to this whole process of HDR the infomation provided at Jason's review was very informative.

General question. What would be minimal amount of RAM using OS 10.6... that would be necessary to make life not seem like it's passing by in slower than slow motion?

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
I use an iMac I purchased late fall running a 3.2 gHZ Intel processor with 8 GB of RAM. Prior to that I had a 3 year old iMac with 4 GB of RAM that choked on Aperture 3 consistently. Since my new purchase, I have had zero issues and everything including the NIK products run fine. HDR Efex Pro has a number of built in templates/pre-sets that reside on the left of the screen and it can take a little bit for all of them to render. I have noticed that happens as well on the instructor's desktops during the IK online tutorials.

I am certainly not a subject matter expert but from my time troubleshooting Aperture 3 in the past, it seems the type and level of your graphics card can be more limiting than the memory at times. Alan installs computer systems and perhaps he has a better insight than I do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom