HD TV for viewing photos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petach, Feb 27, 2011.

1. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    I have a Panasonic Vieja LED edge 32" HDTV. I am astonished at how much difference there is when viewing photos from my SD card on the TV as opposed to my Sony laptop.

Even without unsharp mask, the flicks look incredibly detailed and sharp, startlingly so in fact. Every whisker, spot, fllake of skin. lint etc in absolute sharp detail.

Looking at my Sony screen, the same pics look so flat and uninteresting.
  2. vtmullins

vtmullins Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    LED tvs are so great for viewing photos. I have a bigger lcd hdtv with my desktop plugged in and still love it though.
  3. Kalieaire

Kalieaire Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    Though, I still wish they had a higher pixel density. I can't wait until the 4K models come out. Onkyo and Pioneer have receivers that support 4K.

Nothing looks better than a photoshoot displayed on my 27" Apple Cinema display. I just wish Apple still had the 30" model.
  4. PR1Y35H

PR1Y35H Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    That's good point, I've not tried my pictures on a LED screen or any type of tv yet. Looks like I'm going to try that tomorrow!
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I haven't tried it on my TV yet, but I run higher midrange (Dell Ultrasharp) calibrated desktop displays for all my work, so I imagine the TV will be a lot more forgiving of errors.
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Even the most mediocre desktop monitor is far superior to a laptop's screen. Buy yourself an IPS secondary monitor for your laptop, and you'll be in heaven.
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah I think the quality of the pictures are often bottlenecked by what people view it on. I can't believe how much some people spend on bodies and lenses..and never print out a picture and only look at them on ipads/facebook/mediocre monitors.
  8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Actually, iPads use IPS LCDs. Right up there with the better viewing media.
  9. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Not all laptops :smile: A few months ago I was looking for something decent to take with me on an extended trip around SE Asia (still to be taken but that's another story), one with a screen that give me decent colour accuracy. I was amazed to find out how bad most laptop screens are. I eventually picked up a 2.5 year old but unused Lenovo x200t Thinkpad with a Boe Hydis panel and wow, it's quite beautiful. And accurate too.

Since it's the tablet version of the x200 it also has an integrated Wacom digitiser so I can edit pictures directly on the screen too. I couldn't be happier.
  10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Fascinating thread. I have so much to learn!
  11. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Ipad retina displays are phenomenal for photos.
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I have to say, now that 500px has an iPad app out I've been using the iPad a lot more for image viewing, and it's been a double edged sword. I'm enjoying it a lot, and it's more vibrant and clear than my macbook screen. On the flip side though, it's also a lot less forgiving on images and I'm finding I can notice a more distinct IQ difference between files from different cameras even without pixel peeping. Not really doing good things for my G.A.S. :rolleyes:

I think maybe I should avoid plugging into our HDTV for my sanity's sake :rofl: