Hazards of the profession

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by AerialFilm1, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    It not my intention to be a downer, but thought you may want to know who makes possible the stuff that comes across your television and the price some pay to entertain you. Also I want to shout to the world about this sweet beautiful man and testify to his passion.

This is similar to a shot I posted a while back of my other pilot and friend Dan. This is my friend and main pilot David. Davids helicopter went down predawn yesterday morning during a production just north of LA. I just left him in Chicago about a week and a half ago after we wrapped a show there. He went home to California and I went home to Florida. Now I'm heading to LA to make senses of what's happened and be with my grieving television family. This isn't about me or my role, but about David. I'm nothing without someone to get me to the shot. David was that someone.

Oh, and both shots with Em-5 and Panny Leica 25.

[​IMG] dec 2012 Indianapolis

[​IMG] jan 2013 Washington DC inside the worlds most restricted airspace.

When you enjoy shows like biggest loser, amazing race, football on Monday and Thursday nights, and countless other productions, please remember those beautiful stunning aerial shots were piloted by this man. I'll never work with anyone else like him. He knew where to put the aircraft so I could get the shots. He understood lighting and composition more than any pilot I've ever worked with. Even though he couldn't work the camera on his phone or knew which end of the lens to look through, he was an artist. Without saying a word he instinctively knew how to build a shot and would put me where we needed to be.

Sometimes the shows are trashy, and that's often by design. But the people behind the scenes are high end best of the best. Guys are getting hurt while filming on pitching crab boats, diving under ice, or just shooting someone cutting down trees. You're not supposed to see this or even know it happens. You're just supposed to enjoy the show at its face value. But once in a while try to think of the guys and gals holding the camera, driving the cars, or flying the heli. Also with David were a ground cameraman and one of the shows contestants. Prayers to their families as well.

Wherever you are in the world today, if your television doesn't seem as bright as it did, its because we don't have David in the front seat anymore.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your loss, and thanks for a moment of reflection.
  3. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Thank you for sharing about David with us. There never are words to make it easier, but know that he will be missed because we know about him as all craftsmen are when they go too soon.
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We are sorry to hear this . May his soul rest in peace . I agree most of the time people have no idea how much hard work goes into all this .
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I am very sorry to hear about your friend and the others. I will be praying for their families and friends.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Very sad news. Thanks for sharing the story.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry to hear that. I have been on production sets before, even worked a couple and they are very dangerious places. Adding in the element of flying and the risk is increased. But even so safety is taken very seriously! So long David and thank you for all you work in the past.
  8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I would like to extend my condolences as well. I do appreciate you sharing his story with us and will say a little prayer for the repose of his soul.
  9. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    So very sorry for the loss of your friend.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm sorry to hear that. Rest in Peace, David!
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    So sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing this touching story.