Haytor and the granite tramway

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by grebeman, Aug 10, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    The southern part of Dartmoor is dominated by Haytor. In the 19th century there was a thriving industry cutting granite blocks for various buildings, including the old London Bridge which is now re-erected in the USA. The "rails" of the tramway were actually formed from the granite being quarried as the cheapest option. The loaded wagons left the quarry and descended to the bottom terminus under gravity, the empty wagons being hauled back by horses.

This view shows the rails made from granite

This is a general view across the moor from below the main quarry

This is the main quarry, now overgrown with the old derrick collapsed into the pool

All photographs with a Panasonic GF1 and 15mm f4.5 voigtlander lens. The conversion to black and white was done using a plug in in Bibble Pro 5.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kkrome

Kkrome Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    I really like your landscapes. Which Plug In did you use with Bibble? By the way, have you tried wavelet sharpen (bibble PlugIn). I am still learning how to use it, but for some photos, it is impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I used the plug in that comes already embedded in Bibble Pro 5-5.1.0f which is called Andrea-Film Simulation. Whilst as a freebe it is not fully enabled there is sufficient choice within it for my needs, although I believe that the cost to fully enable it is very modest. I was not aware of the plug in sharpening application that you referred to, I might look into that at some time.

Barrie

4. Kkrome

Kkrome Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    Wavelet Sharpen 2

It is called Wavelet Sharpen 2, and it is available free, but with a suggested donation of 2 euros (well worth it). It is currently the first plugin listed on the Bibble 5 Plugin page. There is also a wavelet noise reduction plugin, but I have not tried that yet.