Having troubles deciding

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jessestr, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Hi there

I set my mind on a E-m10. Was going to order it but then lost my mind. Noticed the viewfinder was only 0.58 in size.

For me, viewfinder size is by far the most important thing on a camera. So I went looking for a different setup. Noticed the VF-4 is quite big in viewfinder size but then I can't use flash? Because there is a viewfinder in my hotshoe. I never use flash. But only at times when I need to (eg. Wedding party)

So my choices are

- epl5 with vf-4
    - ep5 with vf-4
    - gx7 ( but it has AA FILTER :( )

Can't decide what I want. I mostly want to use it for every day usage, as i shoot film only. I want to take more pictures but kinda expensive on film. So I need a fuji x100 like camera but on m43. I've done some wedding photogrphy, borrowed a dslr for the party pictures, rest was on film. So that are the only reasons why I need a flash.

Also want to use it to photograph my models with. About a 35mm -40mm standard focal length would be great (like the x100) but it should still be a professional tool.

What should I pick. Budget is limited, I'm a student.

Thanks kn advance

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Tighten your belt and buy E-M1.
    EP5+VF4 will let you use remote flash as it will be triggered by built-in flash.

PS - all cameras on your list have AA filter.

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Have you tried the em10's viewfinder? It's bigger and brighter than most dslr's in its pricerange... Those magnification numbers only tell you something theoretical, don't necessarily reflect reality.

It's a neat camera, and as all the cameras on your list, it has an AA filter. Only olympus without is the em1.

Patrick K

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    M4/3 cameras are being made with "weaker" AA filters, and the trend towards elimination of the filter entirely is a fad, not without problems of its own. Don't let that dictate your decision.
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    You won't see much effect from the AA filter on the GX7 (or any camera). I have it and it's a great camera.

I haven't used the M10, but the M5 EVF is great and I believe they're similar.

6. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Haven't tried the viewfinder of the e-m10. Asked some shops if I could test it, but the answer was no. So I'm kinda stuck right there.

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    That's terrible customer service right there.

Well, for what it is worth, I sell among other things cameras for a living, and in our lineup, the only viewfinder that is a match for the em10's in its pricerange is the pentax k500. There are many better, but on more expensive bodies.

Patrick K

8. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    It sure is. Also a reason why I just want to buy it online.

Is the VF-4 better than the Oly E-M10's viewfinder? And what about the GX7, how is the viewfinder on that one?

Thanks

Jesse

9. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    For ergonomy, I prefer the GX7 (also have a E-M5) and the viewfinder is better than the E-M5. I didn't try the E-M10 so can't compare. The VF-4 is better than the GX7 viewfinder. The GX7 viewfinder isn't the best with glasses either but overall, I love this camera. I just got a GH4 and it's an awesome machine but when I go out quick, I almost always pick the GX7. It's near the perfect camera for me.

10. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks :) Seems that I need to get the E-PL5 with the VF-4 (or E-P5, still have to figure out what's so different).. Or the GX7 !

Edit: GX7 is rather expensive though.. And sensor quality isn't that much different to the E-P5/E-PL5. I know it doesn't have a viewfinder..

Jesse

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    EM5 or EM10 and 45mm F1.8...save up for the 75mm or spring for an EM1. EM1 VF is excellent. EM5 not too far behind. I haven't touched an EM10, nor read about it til just now. Also save $100 and get a 40-150mm. Nice all round portrait/landscape lens in good light or using a flash for little cost. Best IQ/$.

None of that AA stuff matters IMO. I've had nearly 10 olympus bodies and find it is not a real noticeable difference.