Having trouble with legacy settings

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
I got my 50mm Oly 1.8 and adapter a couple days ago and I'm struggling with using it in aperture mode. After doing a good bit of research, I was under the impression that the best way to use these legacy lens was in "A" mode, but my E-P1 seems to set a really high shutter speed when I do this and the image comes out entirely too dark. For example, I was taking some test shots of my wife inside and it wanted to use like 1/500 rather than 1/50. In that mode, I don't know how to slow it down, so I went to manual, which just seemed to make everything more complicated.

Is "A" the right mode to use with the adapted lens? I know the lens is fine, because I took some shots outside (plenty of light) of things like my kid's big wheel :biggrin: and they looked great. It just seems that the camera wants to set too high of a shutter speed. One article I read said to turn the camera to a "without lens" mode, but I don't see that in the menu?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
My friend....
Your fighting the "Inverse Square Law".
Photography is based on that law.... Less is more/more is less....
Use "A" mode...if your shutter speed is to high it's because your ISO is to high.
Some guys change the EV setting to get the same result....

Try this experiment....
Exposure is a formula like this.... Exposure = Intensity xs Time.....f1.8 1/50

To change either part of the equation...change your ISO...
do this on your camera and watch the screen show the change in the exposure as you adjust the ISO....The camera should keep the exposure proper and change the shutter speed to keep the equation proper....

do this and then post again....I'll walk ya thru some more....
If your in the States...feel free to call 267-784-4042...Don

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
I had similar problems with A mode on the E-P2. I barely remember it now (it was at the beginning of the year) because I quickly switched to M mode.

Using M mode is much easier in a digital camera than it ever was using film for one big reason: instant review. In a fraction of a second (or at most in a few minutes for night-tripod-bulb exposures) you can see what you recorded. That makes it easy to change the speed up or down as needed.

When I got the G2, I never even bothered trying A mode for legacy lenses. For me, A mode (like S and P modes, of course) is strictly limited to automated lenses.

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
For testing my 90mm Tele-Elmarit I set up the E-P2 in A mode.
Everything went fine, good exposures etc. What a small set for 180mm...:biggrin:

BTW:

Is there any method to use the Fn button for "Magnifying on ./. Magnifiying off" together with mf-lenses?

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I've never had a problem with A mode for legacy lenses either. You have to make sure the aperture is stopping down so the meter is able to calculate how much light is actually coming through, but even if its wide open, you should get a reasonably exposed shot, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've shot in A and M without problem on my EP2 - never tried it with the epl1 when I had one but no reason it shouldn't have worked as well with that.

-Ray

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks guys. What I did was change the exposure value. I didn't realize anything other than aperture was controlled by me in this mode. I guess it wouldn't be but my menu settings has it on the dial.

Anyway, I had it set to -2.7. I've put it back at 0 and now my shutter speeds metered by the camera are light 1/50 or 1/60, which is what I understood they should be.

I appreciate all the help and the link to beginner's guide. I need some more of those!

Latest threads

Top Bottom