1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Having OM-D E-M5, switching to E-M10 I or .....

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mikekiwi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    At the moment I have the E-M5 and am really very happy with it, really. However, the newer camera's have some advantages which are tempting with WiFi (for tethering) and Focus Peaking as biggest wanna have features.

After a period of less imagetaking, I want to have some fun again with macro, table top (tethering needs) and street photography with my legacy glass (Focus Peaking).

FYI: with tethering I do not mean controlling the camera, but instantly viewing the result on a big screen. So probably used the wrong terminology here...

The Wifi can be dealt with by buying EyeFi, focus peaking can't be implemented but the Focus assist is better then nothing.

I created an ad this evening to sell the E-M5 and buy a E-M10. Have looked at the Sony A6000 s well. But I really do like my E-M5...:-(

What should you do in my situation? Have a tight budget, the money I get for the E-M5 (+ HLD-grip) will be used, not much more...

I think I can get € 375-400 for the EM-5 + HLD-6; the E-M10 is €349 new in store locally.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    IMHO focus peaking isn't really all that good and I hardly ever use WiFi - so you know what my vote would be! About the only thing that would push me to the E-M10 would be later firmware features such as Live Composite, EFCS and MySets assignable to the mode dial.

3. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    If you are talking about tethering to a computer with Olympus Capture software, I believe that only works with the E-M1 and E-M5 mk2. See here olympuscapture | Olympus

Edited to add that I own an E-M10 and love it - I generally only use the wifi while I am away from home and want to transfer shots to my iPad, but I think I will be using it more in the future for remote control of the camera. I go through phases with peaking. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I turn it off.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Two reasons I bought an E-M10 I was the focus peaking and the wifi. I don't use the peaking any more. Magnification works better for me. I do use wifi fairly regularly.

5. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Well, for me sending a jpg to my computer is enough. I can then use Lightroom to instantly see the result. Or else using my tablet for live view and judge the result on its retina-screen. I just want to judge the outcome on a bigger screen, controlling the camera is not needed

Why is peaking not working for you as good as magnification? I would say that peaking would be quicker as you can do it in one go (a bit like the focussing screens on the older analog manual focus slr's

6. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the only way an Olympus camera and a computer can communicate via wifi is to use the Olympus Capture software, and that only seems to work with the E-M1 and E-M5mk2. You CAN get a preview of an image immediately after it is captured via the OI Share app on an iPad if you are using the app to control the camera (I just verified that).

Edited to add that I found this previous thread, which gives a few ideas on how you can make it work Big disappointment, Olympus Capture and E-M10

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I just find it easier and more useful to use magnify.

8. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I think it is part personal preference and partly the subject of the photograph and the lighting that makes a difference. Peaking is easier to see on some images than others, depending on how much is in focus at that aperture, how busy the subject is, the color of the subject, etc. I think you only get white as a color choice for focus peaking on the original M-M10, if I recall, and if there is a lot of white or light colors in your image, it may not be that easy to see. I recently purchased an E-M5mkii on the Cyber Monday sale and its implementation of focus peaking is better - I use "red" as the peaking color and that is much easier to see.

9. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for that, I already stumbled upon a thread on Dpreview before that directed me to this alternative so I thought that it would work. Maybe not ideal, but I can live with it.

Regarding the peaking: that indeed is something to try myself, to be honest I thought the E-M10 was also capable of changing colours, but apparently not.

Well, I took the plunge and within an hour or two I sold my E-M5 for decent price (€420/$460) and a shop gave me a good deal on the E-M10 (€368/$402, including the ECG1 original grip).

Read a lot about the camera's today and saw that the E-M10 shares the battery with the E-PM1 I already own (was actually on sale, but I now can keep it due to the fact that I don't have to buy and extra battery and have an extra charger). So it saves me from selling my E-PM1 as well and have a brandnew camera. Yay!

Also saw a few other advantages of using the E-M10 so I think I'm going to like it and made a good move. Will see about the peaking part.
    Thanks to all for the advice and information!

• Like Like x 1
  10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Enjoy your new camera, @mikekiwi@mikekiwi - it's a good one!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Have fun, take lots of pictures!

I thoroughly enjoy my E-M10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Actually, you *can* change colours for the peaking, but only choose between white and black. I'd personally prefer it to be a different colour, preferably red or green, very bright. I've tried combining magnification and peaking for MF assist, but that makes things a bit too obstrusive - for me, that is.

M.

13. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Thanks for the correction! At first I was thinking there were white/black options, but then couldn't find the menu item for changing the color so I thought perhaps it was white or nothing. I agree a brighter color is easier to see.

• Like Like x 1