1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Having issues with my e bay pictures, help please

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by tdekany, Jan 26, 2012.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I am not sure if this is even the right forum, so I apologize.

This is my issue. I am taking pictures of items that we sell on e bay. I am using our new G3. SCN - Objects. Jpeg. Pictures are Small

This setting takes real sharp pictures. I download these pictures to our computer and upload it to e bay. E bay suggests at least 1600 pixels. These pictures are larger to begin with so that is fine. Once uploaded, the pictures look "pixelated" I am not sure if that is the right word for it though. Like part of the letters are missing. Vasically the wording isn't clear or smooth

I also tried uploading from the computer to photobucket, trying different sizes. Then, save it back to the computer and upload that picture to e bay. Now, sometimes it works, but no clue why. Tonight nothing has worked and we tried 13 different products, different color items etc..

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Is it e bay or is it us? Should we get a P/S camera? would that work better?

Here is an example of what we start with. This is from photobucket

2. Does eBay really suggest 1600 pixels? That figure does seem a bit high. What you are describing sounds like their software is doing a really bad job of downsizing the image to whatever resolution it is finally displayed in. I host all my eBay images through photobucket at 800 pixels wide and display them at the same 800 pixel size in the listing so there is no further interpolation of the image.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Yes e bay says AT LEAST 1600. I was surprised too.

I'll try 800 tomorrow and see if that works.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    This is next to the browse button

5. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    I don't sell on Ebay often, but on my last sale, the images were sized at 600 pixels - I had no problems.

I saw the 1600 pixels recommendation after posting the item, as I plan to sell a lens shortly, I was thinking of using a higher resolution image than last time and will probably follow Luckypenguin's advice and use 800 pixels which ought to be more than adequate

6. A couple of example images from the last two items I sold on eBay. I think 800 pixels is big enough to show the detail of an item, but the file size is still small enough that the listing doesn't take ages to load for anyone with a slow internet connection. These were embedded in the listing from photobucket using IMG or html code (the same as I have embedded them into this post) and not uploaded into the listing itself.

7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yep, click on the HTML tab and use the HTML embed image code. There's a version where you can specify the image dimensions. Put your images on a host site and enter the image URL in the appropraite place in the HTML code (I'd copy the code out here, but my computer is broken and I'm reduced to doing this awkwardly on a Playstation). I data reduce my images to less than 2mb before uploading them to the image site (I've never even noticed a pixel total).
    Flicking back to the normal entry tab will show you what you images are looking like.
    Then you can have as many free pictures as you want.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 to the suggestion to host your photos elsewhere and then embed them in the eBay description (that's what I do for my eBay and Craigslist posts). You can still upload one image to eBay so it shows up in the preview listings if you want.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with this. It'll give you full control and save money on additional pictures on an ebay listing.

10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes indeed, the first picture uploaded to Ebay is free and that is your listings picture - I'm under the imperssion that has to be hosted by Ebay..

Perhaps the most important point for Tdekany is that Tdekany doesn't need a different camera.
    It will help if you have an image editor that allows you to crop and save the jpeg at a reduced data size (partly because it allows images to load faster for other users - but also because it takes a lot less time for your images to upoload to a host site).
    I think my jpegs are about1.6 to 1.8 mb. That still allows for the tiny writing on Playstation game cases to be read.

11. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
  12. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I will usually create the page in Xara, output the jpeg
    and import that to ebay.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    That looks awesome... just keep in mind that the text is not searchable if you do it that way. :frown:

14. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I agree that eBay seemingly do a piss-poor job of resizing/hosting. I stuck a few auctions on a couple of weekends ago. Made them through GarageSale and sent them through and some of the pictures, which were taken with my GF-1 & looked pin sharp from the camera, were quite pixelated when the auction went live.

This was one of the auctions. eBay example clicky You can particularly see it in the red box of writing on the front of the packaging.

Here's the picture as it came from the camera, granted it's not perfect as it's been resized when I've just uploaded it to Flickr, but you can see the clear difference between the two.

P1030176 by puihungma, on Flickr

15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Now that I actually took some time to look around on e bay and followed all of your suggestions, everything should be fine once we list coming monday. The pictures are fine.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

Very much appreciated.

16. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Now I'm back up and running here's that resizing HTML code:

IMG height=562 src="your image URL here" width=750

you need a < at the start and > at the end, no spaces (code would activate if I put them in)

17. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks Spuff - So even the first picture that is free on e bay you can upload from elsewhere. I can also add additional pictures from photobucket. :2thumbs:

Last thing now is to take better pictures so that the small initial free picture looks better. :eek: They are really small