1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Having hard time spot focusing with OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigbluebear, Jul 13, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time getting exactly what I want in focus while using the OM-D. It appears that the camera uses a zone focusing system where you can select a grid of 9 squares and the camera will try to focus on what it thinks you want in that zone. Often times I find the camera is slightly off on my intended target.

I tried mapping the Fn1 key to zoom as many have done on this forum and as shown here.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ArqBplO8cQ]Focus Peaking on Olympus OM-D E-M5 - YouTube[/ame]

HOWEVER, the problem I'm running into now is that when i release the Fn1 button to try to take the shot, the camera autofocuses again!

Can someone provide me some tips to get the most of the OM-D's focusing system?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If your problem is about the camera Automatically acquiring AF.

You can turn it off by going to Gear>A (AF/MF)>Full-time AF> OFF

This will turn off your full time AF and the camera will only AF when you press your shutter button half way (if you set up that way) or your AFL button if you're backbutton focusing.

3. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    I'm sure it's one of my settings that are wrong or my understanding is not correct.

Basically I need to release the shutter for the Fn1 button to activate. When I push the shutter again, it automatically goes into half pressed mode and performs autofocus.

What I would like to do is for autofocus to get me close to where I want to go by half pressing the shutter, release the shutter, press Fn1 key to fine tune my focus, then press the shutter again to take the image.

Is this not possible?

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Try AF-S+MF focus setting. AF will get you close and you can tweak with MF if you want.

Not sure you can fine tune in normal AF-S mode after initial focus lock.

5. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    Nope. Still doesn't work.

I think the only time that this focus peaking will be handy for me with native lenses is if I do full time manual focus. That kind of defeats the purpose of using native lenses though.

This doesn't seem to work unless I program one of the buttons for back button AF (not sure if this is possible on the OMD. Still reading through the manual)

6. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    The only way that's possible as far as I understand what you want to do is to indeed program the back button AF. here's how you could do it:

Set your Fn1 = AEL/AEF
    (Menu>B(Button/Dial>Fn1 Function> AEL/AEF)

Then Set your AF Mode to S-AF + MF as suggested

Then set your AEL/AFL to mode 3
    (Menu>C (AEL/AEF)> S-AF> mode 3

You will AF using the Fn1 button, then when you release it, you fine tune by turning the Focusing ring on your lens, then click the shutter.

Try it and let me know...

7. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    That should work but then I can't take advantage of the zoomed in focus peaking with the Fn1 button.

8. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    You can still play around with which button you want to put which function, if you want to follow the button lay out he used in the video, then you can put your focus button on Fn2 right beside the shutter... or you can switch them and put your focus button on Fn1 and the magnify/focus peaking set on Fn2.